Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

The frame just isn't flat in that spot. Adding a second clamp pushed it down a little bit more.

20240625_130629.jpg

20240625_130642.jpg

If that does end up being the spot, would you shim it before welding?

I'll pull the mount back off and see if I can figure out what is keeping it up. If not then I might try to find a thin piece of metal to fit under it. I don't want to raise the mounts.

Thanks for appeasing the management

I try when I can..

IIRC, SBC and LS use the same bell housing pattern as well, so you can bolt up a turbo400 to an LS, if you really want to.

Its close enough to work. Only issue is if you don't have a crankshaft from an early manual transmission 4.8l or 6.0l then the crank is recessed .400" from the older chevy template. Not a big deal but it does require a different flywheel or flexplate that makes up the difference.

@Wildman could you add steel here to support more clearancing?

20240625_101607.jpg

I don't mean moving the hole, just adding steel to support a bigger scallop underneath. Interference with the exhaust manifold,etc would probably need checked

I was thinking of a running some welds in that corner and then grind them down to make the corner level.

It's only that corner and it's not much. I stuck a feeler gauge up in there and it didn't go back hardly at all.

Edit: I was misreading your comment. I've ground the mount up to the cross brace so I do see how I could clearance it more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sj's TJ
For anyone thing about going down the Hemi rabbit hole Holley sent me a 20% off code today. JKYYHG. I am a loooong way from starting this but I have the Hemi swap steering relocation bracket and Hemi tranny mount coming. The motor mount brackets would not take the code but got them too before they are gone. Gotta start somewhere....