Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

View attachment 80247

This is what it looked like right before it was parked 8 years ago. The 5.2 Dodge magnum V-8 I had swapped into it was having overheating issues. So I had planned to either rebuilt the current engine or find another to rebuild. Well I came across a 5.9 from a Durango for cheap and bought it. I was almost done doing a cheap rebuild when I came across a fellow Ram owner who wanted to trade a stroked 5.9 for a stock 5.9. So after a little haggling we came to a deal. We traded short blocks. His engine had about 10K miles on it so I decided to tare the engine down and clean it up and reseal it. Of course things always happen you do things like that. I dropped the number 2 piston and broke a skirt off it.

About this time I was going thru a divorce so funds dried up for any Jeep repairs. Once I got back on my feet, so to speak I was having health issues that was limiting my ability to work out in my garage. So this past spring I took measures to make myself better. I had been wounded in Iraq back in 2004 when I was shot in the right thigh. The avatar is my femur. In May 2018 I had my lower right leg amputated to try and get rid of the sever pain I was in. Most doctors wouldn't do this surgery because there isn't any guaranty it will help.

View attachment 80246

My current socket that I designed the wrap for.

View attachment 80244

So plans for this facelift is to remove the Nth Degree longarm suspension, stretch the rear 5-10" and the front 2". To do the amount of stretch in the rear I am wanting to do I am thinking about lengthening my tub by about 5-6". I currently have a GenRight 24 gal fuel tank so that has to go and I'll be getting one of their stretch tanks. I'm going to 3 link the front and 4 link the rear while doing all this.
Then I'm going to install aluminum front highline fenders and rear corners. All my old parts will be handed down to my daughters 2002 TJ Sport. So no parts will be wasted or neglected.

View attachment 80245

Don't expect anything right away as I have to wait for the weather to warm up and the snow to melt. But as it gets warmer and funds permit I will be ordering parts.

Wow, just mind blowing 🤯!

Did you have the cp4 grenade?what motor?

Not to Derail my build thread Again but in defense of the 6.4 this engine in my motorhome didn't stand a chance. The PO had either paid a shop to remove the engine or had done so himself and then FUCKED UP the rebuild of it. This is evident by the fact that #3 & #4 pistons had obviously been replaced & the block had been shaved. But then they installed the new pistons they didn't shave them to achieve the proper protrusion of the piston from the block.
So when I bought it I was already FUCKED from the get go. All the known issues with the 6.4 have been addressed with this rebuild. The only thing I didn't do was to get some of the fancy valve covers and stuff. But just like the 6.0 I've bulletproofed this 6.4 so hopefully I won't have issues in the future. It just SUCKS that it happened right now and how much all this costs.

And then to have the engine in the Jeep go FUBAR on me too just adds to the whole drama...

Went and picked up a new block today. Had talked to this guy and said I'd be there between 5-5:30 which was when he said he'd be home from work. So I got there at 5PM and an older guy comes out of the house and I ask if he's got an engine for sale. Now the yard is full of derelict vehicles. So I tell him a Dodge 360/5.9 and he says my son must have listed it. But yes I've got a couple of them. How much did he tell you he'd sell it for? I'm like well the ad says $400...
He's like DAMN I would have said $500 or more.. So now I'm thinking to myself that I'm not going to get it for less than the $400.

Wish I could have spent more time walking around looking at all the rigs he had. There was a nice GTO in the front yard with a Road Glide parked next to it.
So he shows me the engine and I go get my truck and bring it over to where the engine is as he's dragging a old engine hoist out that's next to a Blazer missing it's front clip.

So I'll have some spare parts for the engine in my truck since this is a complete engine. The machine shop wants the heads since so many of them crack. I'd been told this engine had 178K miles but the dad said he thinks it's more like 98K. Doesn't matter since I'm rebuilding it.

20240429_190023.jpg

20240429_190057.jpg

20240429_190416.jpg

This is what matters...

20240429_191648.jpg

Wanna decode it for us non-Hemis?

I learned the TUPY on 4.0 heads when my engine blew. Not familiar with this engine 101 but I get the importance to get a good ID/era!

It's hard to see in all the grease but it says 360 meaning it's a 360ci engine. I don't remember off the top of my head what a 318 says on the block but this is how you know if it's a 360 or not. I'll have to clean it better to get the build date off the block to know what year the block was cast. Not that any of that matters for my build.

It's hard to see in all the grease but it says 360 meaning it's a 360ci engine. I don't remember off the top of my head what a 318 says on the block but this is how you know if it's a 360 or not. I'll have to clean it better to get the build date off the block to know what year the block was cast. Not that any of that matters for my build.

Where is it located?

Thought I'd have some disassembled engine pictures by now but have been sick the past two days. It was raining on Tuesday so I didn't get anything done then and the VA had started me on some new medication which I think is what is causing me to be sick but have got to talk to them first. I've got a VA appointment tomorrow & then it's supposed to be nasty here over the weekend so I doubt I'll get anything done then. Monday & Friday I've got appointments at the VA again but I hope to get the engine torn down next week. Then get it and all the parts over to the machine shop.

Sitting here doing some research on this engine & it would appear that this 5.9 that I purchased is from a 94-96 Ram pickup. The reasons I know this is that this engine has a EGR valve on it and the EGR was only used for those 2 years before OBDII was introduced which allowed them to meet emissions without the need for the EGR anymore.

I'm not finding any thing about any years of these blocks to stay away from so I should be OK.

Thought I'd have some disassembled engine pictures by now but have been sick the past two days. It was raining on Tuesday so I didn't get anything done then and the VA had started me on some new medication which I think is what is causing me to be sick but have got to talk to them first. I've got a VA appointment tomorrow & then it's supposed to be nasty here over the weekend so I doubt I'll get anything done then. Monday & Friday I've got appointments at the VA again but I hope to get the engine torn down next week. Then get it and all the parts over to the machine shop.

Sick again!? Sorry man, hope it clears up fast.
Sitting here doing some research on this engine & it would appear that this 5.9 that I purchased is from a 94-96 Ram pickup. The reasons I know this is that this engine has a EGR valve on it and the EGR was only used for those 2 years before OBDII was introduced which allowed them to meet emissions without the need for the EGR anymore.

I'm not finding any thing about any years of these blocks to stay away from so I should be OK.

No bad news is good news... will it be hard to source a blockoff plate for the EGR?

Sick again!? Sorry man, hope it clears up fast.

This new medication is messing with me. I'm going to ask about getting something different if possible that can do the same thing. Getting OLD sucks. I never used to have all these issues or feeling like crap. Used to think I was a pretty tough old codger but lately I ain't.

No bad news is good news... will it be hard to source a blockoff plate for the EGR?

The intake I'm using doesn't have a EGR spot on it so I don't have to worry about it. Now if I was just trying to install this engine then yes I'd have to get a block-off plate.

Reactions: lBasket
Reactions: reddvltj
Wow that's a really cool lab setup. Kinda cool they can get all they need to measure how you're walking just from those few sensors.

Also interesting that they seem to be looking more in detail to your hips and shoulders than the legs themselves

Your whole body is involved in walking. Believe me I know how not moving your hips can screw up how you walk.

They are looking at how each prosthetic foot makes you walk. So your gait affects the rest of your body.

Last edited:
It's got a Holley throttle body. This was stock from the factory.

20240503_164740.jpg

20240503_164745.jpg

This one had the typical blown pleum gasket.

20240503_171655.jpg

They obviously didn't do scheduled oil changes 🙄

20240503_170125.jpg

Both heads were good with no obvious cracks.

20240503_175037.jpg

20240503_175045.jpg

The sludge in the oil pan tells the story.

20240503_181025.jpg

Tomorrow if it's not raining I'll get the harmonic balancer off and the timing cover.

20240503_181216.jpg

Cylinders all look good.

20240503_181232.jpg

20240503_181237.jpg

I'm beat and it's time for a relaxing cigar.

It's got a Holley throttle body. This was stock from the factory.

View attachment 523987

View attachment 523988

This one had the typical blown pleum gasket.

View attachment 523990

They obviously didn't do scheduled oil changes 🙄

View attachment 523989

Both heads were good with no obvious cracks.

View attachment 523991

View attachment 523992

The sludge in the oil pan tells the story.

View attachment 523993

Tomorrow if it's not raining I'll get the harmonic balancer off and the timing cover.

View attachment 523994

Cylinders all look good.

View attachment 523995

View attachment 523996

I'm beat and it's time for a relaxing cigar.

Enjoy the cigar! What are you smoking?

Kinda surprised, kinda not - that you didn't go get a cheapie HF engine stand or toss the other block on the floor. I get why not since you could do what you did - pull it apart in the truck bed.

Good on you getting it done because that couldn't have been easy since you don't have a stagnant point to pull against. (y)

That engine has layers of lube... I guess that's better than running it dry... :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Enjoy the cigar! What are you smoking?

Kinda surprised, kinda not - that you didn't go get a cheapie HF engine stand or toss the other block on the floor. I get why not since you could do what you did - pull it apart in the truck bed.

Good on you getting it done because that couldn't have been easy since you don't have a stagnant point to pull against. (y)

That engine has layers of lube... I guess that's better than running it dry... :ROFLMAO:

My Jeep is in the way of me getting to the garage so I couldn't put the engine into the garage to pull it apart so I just figured I'd pull it apart in the bed of the truck. This way the block is already there and all I've got to do is finish taking it apart and then take the block and all the stroker parts to the machine shop on Monday or Tuesday. I've got to go over to the VA in Wenatchee on Monday and get my blood drawn but if I get up early and get that done I can make it over to Selah to the machine shop also. Then the block can get started machined. Then I've got to get the garage straightened up and push the Jeep back inside the garage so I can work on it until I get the block back.
Then I'll push the Jeep back out while I build the new motor and once it's ready push the Jeep back inside once again and reinstall it.

Sounds like a LOAD of fun right?