Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

How much of your Jeep still uses TJ parts?
Edit:missed the v8 pics

Instead of building a new Magnum V-8 I'm going to swap the Hemi from this TJ into mine. For what I paid for this Jeep it's more or less free swap.
The wiring harness from Hotwire alone is $2200. The sourcing a engine in the PNW is $4-5k.
I've already picked up a transmission for it so all I've got to do is move parts over.
This Jeep has all the other required parts for the Hemi swap.

Did you see @Wildman's vacation/test drive of the motorhome turning out to actually be the pick up of an engine?

Season 2 No GIF by Paramount+

...me neither! Man can keep a secret...

Now I really want to know what you did in the Army... :oops:

—-

Congrats! Looks like you have a plan ahead.

Curious how much of this new TJ engine is compatible with your previous engine plans/hardware or if you're heading a new direction from it?

Did you see @Wildman's vacation/test drive of the motorhome turning out to actually be the pick up of an engine?

View attachment 528807

...me neither! Man can keep a secret...

Now I really want to know what you did in the Army... :oops:

—-

Congrats! Looks like you have a plan ahead.

Curious how much of this new TJ engine is compatible with your previous engine plans/hardware or if you're heading a new direction from it?

Towing the Hemi Jeep home will be a good test. I'm staying at a KOA in Apache Junction, AZ which is about 20 miles away from where I picked up the Jeep. So far I'd say I'm not going to have any issues towing it home.

There isn't much from the old V-8 swap that would work with the Hemi. If I wanted to I could reuse the 46RE but I'd have to run a Holley Terminator Max to do so.
The 545RFE will be a better fit IMO.

Last edited:
The transmission cooler leaked coolant into the transmission which with a automatic ruins the clutch plates. It's still driveable and I drove it onto the trailer. So the current transmission would need to be rebuilt.
The transmission I picked up was recently rebuilt but I'll still check it out just to be safe.

I can use some of the parts off the Magnum engine in my Dodge truck and will sell what I don't use.

I've always wanted a Hemi in my TJ so when this popped up I couldn't pass it up. And the fact I got a KILLER deal just made it even better.

That doesn't look like a 97 cluster... I thought they replaced the lines with the dots for the 03-06 TJs

Dang it sounds like it runs really nice and quiet though

It's not a 1997 cluster. With the Hemi swap you have to replace the cluster with a 2001-2006. This is because Jeep went to a PCI buss where the 1997-2000 was a CCD buss.
You also have to change out the fuel pump to a 2005/2006 for the 53 PSI pump where the older pumps were 42 PSI.
Buying this Jeep with a completed swap means I've got everything already I need already.

It's not a 1997 cluster. With the Hemi swap you have to replace the cluster with a 2001-2006. This is because Jeep went to a PCI buss where the 1997-2000 was a CCD buss.
You also have to change out the fuel pump to a 2005/2006 for the 53 PSI pump where the older pumps were 42 PSI.
Buying this Jeep with a completed swap means I've got everything already I need already.
I see makes sense. The earlier cluster looks better, completely unbiased opinion. Hopefully it goes nice and smooth having everything already figured out and no reason to open up the motor.

How similar is the shape/size of this to what you had before, do you think you'll have any clearance issues with the front axle and its steering?

Reactions: reddvltj and PNW_LJ
I see makes sense. The earlier cluster looks better, completely unbiased opinion. Hopefully it goes nice and smooth having everything already figured out and no reason to open up the motor.

How similar is the shape/size of this to what you had before, do you think you'll have any clearance issues with the front axle and its steering?

I'm hoping it'll be pretty easy too. And yes having a example should be very helpful.

I'm not sure what the size difference is between a Magnum and Hemi is. I know now to pay better attention to the exhaust and front driveshaft so that shouldn't be a problem.
The oil filter will have to move. I'll be looking at how Jeff and others have done theirs.
The upper link will be fun to route the exhaust around will be my biggest challenge I think.
And then connecting the Art Carr shifter will be fun. But I made my own brackets for the 46RE so I should be able to get it hooked up.

I'm hoping it'll be pretty easy too. And yes having a example should be very helpful.

I'm not sure what the size difference is between a Magnum and Hemi is. I know now to pay better attention to the exhaust and front driveshaft so that shouldn't be a problem.
The oil filter will have to move. I'll be looking at how Jeff and others have done theirs.
The upper link will be fun to route the exhaust around will be my biggest challenge I think.
And then connecting the Art Carr shifter will be fun. But I made my own brackets for the 46RE so I should be able to get it hooked up.

Cool, not too many pain points. It's always easier the second time, too. I'm glad you found a good way out of the situation you ended up

If I don't like the newer style dash I've still got the Intellitronix digital dash I could use instead.
I had decided I just wanted to get the Jeep running before messing with it. So it's still sitting in the garage.

If I don't like the newer style dash I've still got the Intellitronix digital dash I could use instead.
Haha yeah, it's really not that bad. I just like dashes with lots of straight hash marks. A digital dash seems really cool if you already have it, I do wonder if you'd end up missing something more OEM eventually but seems like a moot point where you're at already lol.
I had decided I just wanted to get the Jeep running before messing with it. So it's still sitting in the garage.
Makes total sense. Having too many things going on at once can get frustrating and distracting. Would probably be more enjoyable of a project when it's just a fun addition and everything else already works.

The transmission cooler leaked coolant into the transmission which with a automatic ruins the clutch plates. It's still driveable and I drove it onto the trailer. So the current transmission would need to be rebuilt.
The transmission I picked up was recently rebuilt but I'll still check it out just to be safe.

I can use some of the parts off the Magnum engine in my Dodge truck and will sell what I don't use.

I've always wanted a Hemi in my TJ so when this popped up I couldn't pass it up. And the fact I got a KILLER deal just made it even better.
This is awesome. What a plot twist to the story.
Who cares what the dash looks like? Also, it looks fine. Just get it in there and lets go wheeling!

This is awesome. What a plot twist to the story.

Who cares what the dash looks like? Also, it looks fine. Just get it in there and lets go wheeling!

The dash will be the least of my worries. Just getting the Hemi installed and everything working together will obviously be my priority.

I've already talked with JeepSpeed about one of their York mounts and know there are a few other things that need changed.
1) PSC power steering pump
2) Premier Power alternator

The AA Magnum motor mounts have to come off and Hemi mounts welded on. A new transmission mount might need to be fabricated.

I'm as anxious as everyone else for this to be a running/driving project.