Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I missed something......... What happened to the Magnum??

After I'd gotten the heads back & reinstalled I was still having the low oil pressure issue so I had pulled the engine to try and figure out why. Well once I got it torn down I found out that I had a cracked block underneath the #4 cam journal. Had a lot of speculation as why and what had caused it but it still meant that I had to start over again and build a new engine. I'd found a block and was fixing to take it to the machine shop when this Hemi Jeep had popped up For Sale.
Then the owner couldn't sell it because of the bad transmission and had PM'd me & offered it to me for a HELL of a price. Considering that I can sell the hardtop & full doors for a reasonable amount to compensate for some of the cost I decided to buy it & am going to swap the Hemi into my TJ.

20240418_183625.jpg

20240418_222150.jpg

After I'd gotten the heads back & reinstalled I was still having the low oil pressure issue so I had pulled the engine to try and figure out why. Well once I got it torn down I found out that I had a cracked block underneath the #4 cam journal. Had a lot of speculation as why and what had caused it but it still meant that I had to start over again and build a new engine. I'd found a block and was fixing to take it to the machine shop when this Hemi Jeep had popped up For Sale.
Then the owner couldn't sell it because of the bad transmission and had PM'd me & offered it to me for a HELL of a price. Considering that I can sell the hardtop & full doors for a reasonable amount to compensate for some of the cost I decided to buy it & am going to swap the Hemi into my TJ.

View attachment 531124

View attachment 531125

Oh damn! That's a bummer!

Talked to Chris @ Hotwire this morning about the Hemi Jeep.
He said that I might or might not be able to just swap the wiring harness into my TJ.
Since my TJ is a 01/96 build and the Hemi Jeep is a 04/97 build the wiring harness might not be compatible. But won't know until I get the Hemi into my Jeep and everything hooked up. Fingers crossed 🤞 that it's compatible....

The good news so far is that the harness in the Hemi does have A/C wiring in place.

20240531_120459.jpg

The pressure sensor plugs are zip tied off by the PDC.

20240531_120557.jpg

I'll have to try to make some new labels for the PDC.

20240531_120732.jpg

Nice. That's definitely Hot Wire. I joked when I had mine done that Chris needs to up his label game...

🙂

I've got to play with my label maker and see if I can get them closer to stock. But Chris is great to talk with a load of information.

Just got my invoice from JeepSpeed Shop for the motor mounts & York mount. He's also looking to see if he's got a Premier Power welder alternator from when he had a TJ. Thinks it's in a trailer but accidently left the keys to the trailer in a customers rig. So I might luck out on that too.

Will have to order the hose kit from Red Rock and then get a new condenser since mine was removed when I'd done the Magnum swap and I don't know where it ended up. Wizard Cooling sells one that I need to call them about and see if I can make it work or if I'll just need a stock one.

Once I've got it installed I'll have to test out my latching relay setup for the O/D and see if I can make it work.

Reactions: reddvltj
Was thinking about getting a temperature bung welded into my radiator but the upper radiator hose has a split in it already where I can mount the sensor.

20240531_153906.jpg

Will have to buy a new sensor in a lower temperature range. Thinking I'll go to a 180⁰ thermostat like Jeff did on his.

Also ordered some shorty plug wires to get rid of this mess.

20240531_153859.jpg

Tested out my Solus SnapOn scanner and it only goes up to 2004 models. So will have to contact SnapOn and see if there's a update I can get for it.

Need to contact FRP and let him know I'll have a new engine to tune.

Been spending money 💰 🤑. Got a TransGo shift kit coming for the transmission. Also ordered a set of Holley headers for the Hemi.

I am sure you already know but it's called a Hemi but it actually is not. If you take the head off and look at the combustion chamber you will see.

Yep, I've read all the discussions on the Gen III/IV Hemi debates. Like I've said before that when I'd first done my Magnum swap a Hemi wasn't in my price range but I'd always wanted to do one. So this allows me to finally get it done.

Saying goodbye to the Magnum block. Got it outside with all my other junk engine parts that need to go to the wrecking yard.

20240531_161435.jpg

I've got to play with my label maker and see if I can get them closer to stock. But Chris is great to talk with a load of information.

Just got my invoice from JeepSpeed Shop for the motor mounts & York mount. He's also looking to see if he's got a Premier Power welder alternator from when he had a TJ. Thinks it's in a trailer but accidently left the keys to the trailer in a customers rig. So I might luck out on that too.

Will have to order the hose kit from Red Rock and then get a new condenser since mine was removed when I'd done the Magnum swap and I don't know where it ended up. Wizard Cooling sells one that I need to call them about and see if I can make it work or if I'll just need a stock one.

Once I've got it installed I'll have to test out my latching relay setup for the O/D and see if I can make it work.

There's a condensor in a certain 2000 model TJ that's REALLY accessible to you... SInce the Compressor in it is siezed up I don't think anyone would notice it missing...

Just say'n!!!

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
There's a condensor in a certain 2000 model TJ that's REALLY accessible to you... SInce the Compressor in it is siezed up I don't think anyone would notice it missing...

Just say'n!!!

She might notice it gone when I have the front of her TJ torn apart... Guess I should be buying some A/C tools so I can fix mine & then hers. I've got the compressor that came off my 4 cylinder, I think it'll fit.

Edit: And I could always finally fix the A/C in my truck too I guess.... Might have to go to ID again so I can buy some more freon... Stupid WA.

Last edited:
She might notice it gone when I have the front of her TJ torn apart... Guess I should be buying some A/C tools so I can fix mine & then hers. I've got the compressor that came off my 4 cylinder, I think it'll fit.

I bought a line crimper set and made my own. I wasn't sure if any of the pre made sets would fit because of all the variables.