Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Reactions: reddvltj
She might notice it gone when I have the front of her TJ torn apart... Guess I should be buying some A/C tools so I can fix mine & then hers. I've got the compressor that came off my 4 cylinder, I think it'll fit.

Edit: And I could always finally fix the A/C in my truck too I guess.... Might have to go to ID again so I can buy some more freon... Stupid WA.

I don't think they are the same compressor... IIRC the 4 banger mounted on the upper right of the engine in '97. The 2000 4.0l mounts bottom left below the power steering...

Edit:

Just did a quick search and according to the numbers they are not the same...

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Wildman
She might notice it gone when I have the front of her TJ torn apart... Guess I should be buying some A/C tools so I can fix mine & then hers. I've got the compressor that came off my 4 cylinder, I think it'll fit.

Edit: And I could always finally fix the A/C in my truck too I guess.... Might have to go to ID again so I can buy some more freon... Stupid WA.

I need to find a somewhat local shop to have my A/C leak tested and recharged now that it's back on the road... Little towns really suck sometimes...

Reactions: Wildman
I don't think they are the same compressor... IIRC the 4 banger mounted on the upper right of the engine in '97. The 2000 4.0l mounts bottom left below the power steering...

Edit:

Just did a quick search and according to the nummbers they are not the same...

That sucks

I think I have around $400-$450 in my line set including the hydraulic crimper tool set.

Which crimper tool set did you get? I don't have any of my old A/C lines either so I'll have to build everything.

I am sure you already know but it's called a Hemi but it actually is not. If you take the head off and look at the combustion chamber you will see.

Here ya go.....

Hemi Engine Pros and Cons

More than you’d ever think you can learn about the roots of Chrysler’s 5.7, 6.4L, and 6.2L modern Hemi.

1717238891240.png

That sucks

Which crimper tool set did you get? I don't have any of my old A/C lines either so I'll have to build everything.

Wildman

Here's some pictures of the crimper kit that I bought on Amazon. It worked well. The only thing I noticed is that it doesn't crimp perfectly even all the way around, but I just rotated it and crimp again and it's all even. This is because of the design of the tool not this particular brand.
All the fittings and hose I bought from a company called "Cold Hose". They have every type of fitting available and can custom make one if you need it. Also be sure you use "reduced barrier" hose. It's the smaller outside diameter hose. I didn't buy it to start with and it's a lot larger and harder to use.. You can't return hose because it's cut to length. The fittings can be returned. I bought a few extras to be sure I had some options on running the hoses then returned what I didn't use.
I also bought a variety pack of green AC O-rings. Handy to have at installation.

www.coldhose.com

IMG_20240601_161921183.jpg
IMG_20240601_162023900_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240601_162210706.jpg

Very interesting "real world" comparison..

Yes it is. I really wish I could have gotten my Magnum running correctly too just to see what it would have done on the Dyno. But I'm ready to move on.

Talked with Ryan from FRP about my TJ and explained to him the situation with my Magnum and then getting Hemi the donor rig.

Once it's running and driving I'll send him the base file from the PCM and he'll send me a canned tune. He did explain that he would have to of course charge me again for this new engine plus he'd already had a LOT of extra time on my Magnum so I don't feel bad about paying him again. He did say he would give me a break on the tune cost since I am a returning customer.

That's unfortunate, guess there's still time for you to go LS ;)

Engine masters dyno’d that Gen 4 Hemi, and what that variable runner tech does is pretty amazing. You can literally see on the chart where the runner length shifts to the short side and the power takes off. Really is best of both worlds.

Engine masters dyno’d that Gen 4 Hemi, and what that variable runner tech does is pretty amazing. You can literally see on the chart where the runner length shifts to the short side and the power takes off. Really is best of both worlds.

I don't see that episode