Will 33s fit with no lift?

I've got 33" BFG's on Eagle's on an otherwise stock Jeep. They "fit" but I wouldn't even consider taking the thing off road in current state. I'm still torn on how best to lift the thing, it will see light trail duty and thats about it. I'm more interested in improving the ride and steering on my 20 year old Jeep.

View attachment 137633
Love the XRC bumper my friend is looking at getting one for his YJ

All the guys with the 4inch and 33s. Yes your Jeep rides better and performs better offroad. However just because someone doesn’t have that doesn’t mean you should insult them and attack them to justify your own purchases. My Jeep rides just fine and performs extremely well OffRoad. No I don’t do rock crawling or anything insane because my terrain doesn’t permit that and it’s not what I enjoy doing OffRoad, If I did I’d probably have 4inches and 33s. Jeep TJs will fit 33s on less than 4inches and won’t ride like shit and will perform light off-roading duty just fine.

All the guys with the 4inch and 33s. Yes your Jeep rides better and performs better offroad. However just because someone doesn’t have that doesn’t mean you should insult them and attack them to justify your own purchases. My Jeep rides just fine and performs extremely well OffRoad. No I don’t do rock crawling or anything insane because my terrain doesn’t permit that and it’s not what I enjoy doing OffRoad, If I did I’d probably have 4inches and 33s. Jeep TJs will fit 33s on less than 4inches and won’t ride like shit and will perform light off-roading duty just fine.
x2 Ron

You may not need the strongly recommended 4" of additional clearance for 33's for street use but I for sure would not run less than 3". Perhaps a 2" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift. For those running less than 3" and 33x12.50 tires they are rubbing at times that you're just not noticing.

For offroading on trails tough enough to need 33's, 4" is strongly recommended. A 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift is a great way to achieve that which also gives a slightly lower center-of-gravity than a 4" suspension lift does.

yup, i like this forum because its much friendlier than the others. everything isnt a dick measuring contest.

Good, I hate to win every time....

I do like the give and take, even with the cantakerousness. I am on 35's, and really want/need to go down to 33's. I have all the necessary lift and so on for the 35's, but I really, really think 33's are better for me, all around, based upon the real life world my rig will live in, which is not the world some of yours live in.

Back when I had the Subi bug, you could see the same things going on. You can add a LOT of speed to a WRX with a tune and turbo and freeing up the exhaust a bit. But unless you have the brakes, suspension, and so on to stop and steer a 350 HP AWD bullet at the upper end of performance.....well, stock usually wont suffice....

The bottom line as far as the simple mechanics are concerned is that tires larger than 30" begin to require bump stop extension to keep the larger tire out of the body. Additional bump stop necessarily reduces suspension travel. This lost suspension travel has a very real and meaningful effect of the ride quality, and it isn't for the better.

That lost suspension is regained either by re/moving the body or lifting the frame.

It is what it is. My personal opinion having been through many stages between stock and now, is that any tire or suspension modification ought to preserve the factory amount of up travel as a base minimum. Anything less is a reduction of the factory performance and cannot be argued that things fit fine with no issues.

The bottom line as far as the simple mechanics are concerned is that tires larger than 30" begin to require bump stop extension to keep the larger tire out of the body. Additional bump stop necessarily reduces suspension travel. This lost suspension travel has a very real and meaningful effect of the ride quality, and it isn't for the better.

That lost suspension is regained either by re/moving the body or lifting the frame.

It is what it is. My personal opinion having been through many stages between stock and now, is that any tire or suspension modification ought to preserve the factory amount of up travel as a base minimum. Anything less is a reduction of the factory performance and cannot be argued that things fit fine with no issues.
If that makes you feel better :)

Reactions: YourWorstEnemy
These are 33's with 2" of extended bump stop at full stuff.
20150802_134741.jpg
20150802_154610.jpg

The angle of the first pic makes it look like I have more clearance than I actually do. I have roughly 3/4" before the tire hits the metal portion of the fender.

At the very minimum, you need 1.5" of bump stop extension to keep your fenders from frowning. Stock up travel is roughly 4" up. Take 1.5" away from that up and you have 2.5" of up travel. How do you think that change will effect the shock's ability to dampen road events, both small and large?

Reactions: Chris
Feelings have nothing to do with it. This is as simple as reading a tape measure. It is what it is. Do with it what you want, but don't misrepresent what is going on.
My Jeep does all I ask of it. Camping, hunting, off-roading, and getting me from point A-B in 18inches of snow and a howling blizzard. I have a smile on my face most of the time driving it and the upgrades required for me to run 33s cost under 150$. I don’t care if you think I need 4 inches of up travel or not. It rides well enough and is perfect for me.

My Jeep does all I ask of it. Camping, hunting, off-roading, and getting me from point A-B in 18inches of snow and a howling blizzard. I have a smile on my face most of the time driving it and the upgrades required for me to run 33s cost under 150$. I don’t care if you think I need 4 inches of up travel or not. It rides well enough and is perfect for me.

And that is great. Everything I said still stands. Factory travel is what it is. We can begin to assess a build based on that.

Reactions: Chris
Ignorance is bliss.

Hi guys just thought I’d provide an update. Took it to another tyre and wheel place they said 31’s max. Took it to another place and they said 33’s would fit maybe with spacers but that really they should be fit with 2 inch lift. That is what I’m going to do

Hi guys just thought I’d provide an update. Took it to another tyre and wheel place they said 31’s max. Took it to another place and they said 33’s would fit maybe with spacers but that really they should be fit with 2 inch lift. That is what I’m going to do

So your going with 2" of lift and 33s on stock 3.07 gears?
Did you not read all the "correct" advice posted here?(and search and read the thousands of threads out there covering the exact same topic) And are you going to be wheeling with it flexing out the suspension?