Will 33s fit with no lift?

So your going with 2" of lift and 33s on stock 3.07 gears?
Did you not read all the "correct" advice posted here?(and search and read the thousands of threads out there covering the exact same topic) And are you going to be wheeling with it flexing out the suspension?

Not going to be wheeling it at all. Have read the threads - I can look at regearing down the track.

Reactions: YourWorstEnemy
I know for a fact a quality 4" lift isn't always going to be first on the list.
I have a cheap Skyjacker 2.5" the PO installed. I needed new tires and it's winter so I wasn't going to be installing a lift to run 33's. The lift, gears, DC shaft, etc. will come this spring/summer as I have time and cash available but for now it works and looks good.
Hopefully I won't have to put up with too much crap from you guys until then. ;)

OP - you can probably make them work but it certainly won't be wonderful. You should really think about some lift even if you need to do it in steps.

Last edited:
I know for a fact a quality 4" lift isn't always going to be first on the list.
I have a cheap Skyjacker 2.5" the PO installed. I needed new tires and it's winter so I wasn't going to be installing a lift to run 33's. The lift, gears, DC shaft, etc. will come this spring/summer as I have time and cash available but for now it works and looks good.
Hopefully I won't have to put up with too much crap from you guys until then. ;)

OP - you can probably make them work but it certainly won't be wonderful. You should really think about some lift even if you need to do it in steps.

Hey man, I am going to put a lift on for sure. I’m waiting on the shop to look it through properly but initially they advised that I’d only need a two inch lift. We will see.

Hey man, I am going to put a lift on for sure. I’m waiting on the shop to look it through properly but initially they advised that I’d only need a two inch lift. We will see.

Is your shop installing high line fenders?

I'm nowhere near where these guys are, but one thing I didn't see mentioned was if you're going to try to stuff 33's on stock rims. I would think w/o wheel spacers, you will see frame rub on sharp turns. There was no mention of wheels. Assuming no lift, I would also assume no aftermarket wheels.
Just thought I'd stir the pot ;)

Reactions: YourWorstEnemy
You either lift or do a HighLine.
Heres 33x10.00R17s on a fully stock Rubi but with an AEV HighLine.
DSC_0170.jpeg

Without a lift or a good HighLine the tire will hit the back of the fender opening when turning and without adding clearance between the top of the tire and the fender you will hit metal even articulating mildly.

ps, I don't rock crawl so I have no need for extreme articulation

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
Re BackSpace...

I hate wide flares, the AEV Flares are 6", so when I ran 33x10.50R15s, I mounted them on the 15x7 stock steel spokers you have. I needed to add 1 washer to the steering stops. And I had to be conscious of maybe the tire rubbing on the lower arm off road if articulating and trying to turn full lock. But 99% of the time there were no clearance issues. Also, still fully stock suspension, no lift.

With the AEV HighLine..... and AEV flares cut to 4" wide.

IMG_2223.jpeg

I loved that look.... but it was not skinny enough. So today I run 16x6.5 rims with 5.5" Backspace and 7.50R16 old school tires. Now even the 4" flare is tooo wide so we will be fabbing some 2" tubular flares.. aka MetalCloak style this spring.

DSCN1410.jpg

I'm aiming for the look in my avatar. Thats my Uncle in Europe, 1944 with his government issued Jeep.... back when they were all government issued

Last edited:
I saw somewhere a few years ago a dude running 37-40"s no lift.
He cut everything out.
But it looked good.
Lowest center of gravity, it was a cool build.

Reactions: billiebob
I'm nowhere near where these guys are, but one thing I didn't see mentioned was if you're going to try to stuff 33's on stock rims. I would think w/o wheel spacers, you will see frame rub on sharp turns. There was no mention of wheels. Assuming no lift, I would also assume no aftermarket wheels.
Just thought I'd stir the pot ;)
Nah there will be after market wheels

Here is the difference between stock and a good highline, The rear of the front wheelwell is moved back 3" which gives the clearance otherwise only available with a 4" lift.... I love the Highline option.

DSC_0016.jpeg

At the very minimum, you need 1.5" of bump stop extension to keep your fenders from frowning. Stock up travel is roughly 4" up. Take 1.5" away from that up and you have 2.5" of up travel. How do you think that change will effect the shock's ability to dampen road events, both small and large?
Add back in a 2" highline and you get 4.5" of up travel.... without changing the COG.

Add back in a 2" highline and you get 4.5" of up travel.... without changing the COG.

The AEV highline fenders would be the only way I'd consider it, they no longer grow on trees. I run more sporty trails on occasion, so the lift comes in handy for me.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Highlines are one of several good solutions to fit a larger tire. But only a suspension lift can increase shock up travel.

I guess I’ll be the asshole who says there are some new assholes on the forum blowing smoke up people’s ass. The shit of it is that people want bigger tires without doing the work to run them properly. Another way of saying that is they want cheap shit. That’s your choice, of course, but if your pre-inclined to an answer like 0-3” and you can run 33’s, don’t ask the question to begin with. People who know what they are talking about, and it doesn’t take a genius to know who they are, are giving sound advice and being ignored. The forum quality is lessened and the tenor changes.

In the end, the question, can I run 33’s on no lift is the wrong question. The question should be, what is the proper setup for running 33’s. But that’s already answered in the Lift Guide.

I guess I’ll be the asshole who says there are some new assholes on the forum blowing smoke up people’s ass. The shit of it is that people want bigger tires without doing the work to run them properly. Another way of saying that is they want cheap shit. That’s your choice, of course, but if your pre-inclined to an answer like 0-3” and you can run 33’s, don’t ask the question to begin with. People who know what they are talking about, and it doesn’t take a genius to know who they are, are giving sound advice and being ignored. The forum quality is lessened and the tenor changes.

In the end, the question, can I run 33’s on no lift is the wrong question. The question should be, what is the proper setup for running 33’s. But that’s already answered in the Lift Guide.

Are 4 inch lifts more expensive than say 2.5?

I’m not against lifting it higher. I’m just struggling with how I’ve took it a few places and they’re all not overly concerned on it requiring a lift (this is a service they offer so there’s money in it for them) or they’re saying a lift under 3 inches.

I’m not undervaluing the opinions of those knowledgeable in this thread. In fact I’ll be discussing the kings raised with the shop I eventually choose.

Thanks