Will a 98 oil pressure sensor work in a 97?

doc54

I've had an aftermarket oil pressure sensor in my '97 TJ and have been very annoyed with it. The "gauge" on the dash will flutter around and sometimes drop to 0, causing the check gauges light to come on - not a real problem but it gets annoying.

I cannot find an '97 OEM sensor (Part No. 5603 1003) anywhere, but can find an OEM sensor for a '98. The pins on the connector are different but I found someone selling the connector from a '98 on eBay. Would the gauge on the dash be able to read the oil pressure correctly if I spliced in the '98 connector and used a Mopar '98 oil pressure switch?

I have hooked up an oil pressure gauge and know that my oil pressure is fine. I would just like to go back to the OEM sensor since I never had any problems until it went and I had to purchase an aftermarket one

Pretty sure 97 and 98 use the same sensor.

Took me three attempts to find a Mopar. Allegedly Standard Motor Products work too.

My wiring harness was also tugging on the sensor... redressing the wiring harness and cleaning things up to get some slack really helped.

And I can't emphasize how important good, clean grounds are... there's four really close to the sensor...battery, block, chassis and tub.

-Mac

And you haven't had any problems with it? I have a Duralast one now and it's all over the place.
That's another example of why I always mention Duralast as the LAST brand of sensor or replacement part that should be bought. Stick with good brands like NTK, Standard Brand Products, or Mopar. 😊

P.S. One Sunday when the Jeep dealer's parts department was closed and I couldn't wait for it to be shipped to me since it was for my visiting son's Grand Cherokee, I bought a Duralast oil pressure for it. It took two more trips to Autozone before I finally got one that worked properly. No telling how long worked, he ended up wrecking that car soon afterwards.

Are the 97 oil pressure sensors really different than any other year? If so, I'll add it to the list of quirks of 97s.
Early '97 sensors are definitely different than later model years. My early 3/96 manufacture '97 TJ used '95 YJ sensors though later '97 TJs started using '97 sensors.

Early '97 sensors are definitely different than later model years. My early 3/96 manufacture '97 TJ used '95 YJ sensors though later '97 TJs started using '97 sensors.

Right, I remember you mentioning that on the quirks thread. But I haven't gotten specific about which ones. Does that apply to all sensors?

Right, I remember you mentioning that on the quirks thread. But I haven't gotten specific about which ones. Does that apply to all sensors?
I can't say but I do recall two sensors where I needed '95 YJ replacements. One was the TPS, I forget what the other one was. I am pretty sure the replacement oil pressure sender I installed later was a standard '97 model.

Reactions: SSTJ
That's another example of why I always mention Duralast as the LAST brand of sensor or replacement part that should be bought. Stick with good brands like NTK, Standard Brand Products, or Mopar. 😊

P.S. One Sunday when the Jeep dealer's parts department was closed and I couldn't wait for it to be shipped to me since it was for my visiting son's Grand Cherokee, I bought a Duralast oil pressure for it. It took two more trips to Autozone before I finally got one that worked properly. No telling how long worked, he ended up wrecking that car soon afterwards.

So would you recommend using a Standard Motor Products one over retrofitting the '98 connector? I'd prefer to only use Mopar products but if the Standard sensor is good quality I'll use it - I saw a few negative reviews for the Standard one online.

One of the differences is that early ones (?) used a 2 wire sensor vs a 3 wire sensor found later.

Interestingly, the XJ is the same way although I've seen two 2WD 98 Cherokees that used a 2 wire, AND the FSM makes no mention of such a thing that I have been able to find. I don't know that I"ve looked for this in the TJ FSMs.

One of the differences is that early ones (?) used a 2 wire sensor vs a 3 wire sensor found later.

Interestingly, the XJ is the same way although I've seen two 2WD 98 Cherokees that used a 2 wire, AND the FSM makes no mention of such a thing that I have been able to find. I don't know that I"ve looked for this in the TJ FSMs.

If i had to guess the difference is that the 3 wire provides a ground where the two wire uses the body of the sensor?