Will running exhaust out front of rear tire degrade the tire over time?

weldedcambolt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Last edited:
Thanks, deciding what to put on an was thinkin in detail there, any rocks stuck between the side exhaust like the one above an the rear tire with anybody smashin it?

If you’re lookin for hi clearance many owners just dump the exhaust under the Jeep. Having run a setup like this before, my Jeep smelled like a gas can and was loud as H3LL on the inside. I didn’t run it to the back for the dump, just cut off old muffler installed part store special with a turn down so it was probably dumpin between the front and rear seats.

FYI, running out the exhaust before your tire will cause the rim to corrode if it’s aluminuum. Ford had a problem with their late 90’s f-150 due to this design setup (1997 or 1998). I saw first hand how the rims looked. The clear coat would de laminate and the aluminum would pit, It looked awful. Ford dealership replaced the rim for free and rerouted the exhaust line. The tire was ok though.

FYI, running out the exhaust before your tire will cause the rim to corrode if it’s aluminuum. Ford had a problem with their late 90’s f-150 due to this design setup (1997 or 1998). I saw first hand how the rims looked. The clear coat would de laminate and the aluminum would pit, It looked awful. Ford dealership replaced the rim for free and rerouted the exhaust line. The tire was ok though.

ya, i was thinkin the tire brittling up, but didnt even think about the rim. thanks

SpikeMaul said:
If you’re lookin for hi clearance many owners just dump the exhaust under the Jeep. . . .

Although common for street vehicles and hot rods, turned down exhaust tips are a bad idea in jeeps because they substantially increase the risk that hot exhaust gases will ignite dry grass or brush. [Similar to the reason that CalFire warns us not to park over tall dry grass - risk of starting a fire from a hot catalytic converter.) Please don't do it.

Reactions: UpperMI
A lot to think about here:) back in the day, my buddy put the monte carlo swivle seat in the ditch an caught the ditch on fire...........

Last edited:
Although common for street vehicles and hot rods, turned down exhaust tips are a bad idea in jeeps because they substantially increase the risk that hot exhaust gases will ignite dry grass or brush. [Similar to the reason that CalFire warns us not to park over tall dry grass - risk of starting a fire from a hot catalytic converter.) Please don't do it.
I would say a lack of common sense and not treading lightly are a far greater concern than 2 more feet of pipe

If you believe that, then you have never seen a brush fire or forest fire destroy your neighbor's homes. It is a very real concern in the dry Western states.
I’m well aware of the seriousness of fire safety. I haven’t had a neighbor involved in a forest fire. My statement was simply sayin that a full exhaust, factory exhausts have a turn down on the end as well or bobbed, is dangerous when dealing with high grass. That’s where the common sense or lack there of would be applied to avoid startin a fire by avoidin high dry grass to begin with