Will the American Auto Become Cuban-ized

HDRider

TJ Enthusiast
I am sure a lot of you have heard the stories about how Cuba has kept old 50's era cars going by hook and by crook. Me, I admire their ingenuity and how they make the best of a bad situation.

You might find the guy in the video hard to listen to. Try to stick with it. I kinda like the guy.

He is saying that the over complicated autos of today will eventually become the product of creative "Cuban" mechanics.

Who the hell knows!

I think the more electronic-gizmo-laden a vehicle is, the more disposable, short life the vehicle will be. The mechanical aspects of these vehicles will likely still be good, but the failing electronics will condemn them to the scraper.

I was kind of just thinking about this. I sold my 97 TJ (wanted to posted here, but I’m not a paying member, so had to go to Facebook). Anyway, we’ll see how much I miss it. If I miss it too much I might look at an older generation because it’s a simpler product. No Airbags (and airbag lights), no CO2 sensors, etc. Just easier and cheaper to keep around. I know would be giving up a lot of usefulness, but it was basically a weekend beach Jeep, so any Jeep can really do that job.

Overall, I think it might happen with the current crop of autos. The problem with “Cuban-izing” modern autos is that the electronics are actually needed to have the car perform the way it does. Things like having the 10 speed transmission shift at the right times. Sure, you could put a new drivetrain in it, but then you could put a new drivetrain in anything and probably do it easier in an older car than putting in a modern one.

For future autos, I think a “right to repair” type of issue will stop it from happening. The manufactures will shut down the auto if they detect any unauthorized changes. So scoop up the older ones while they are still legal, lol.

Reactions: Blondie70
I won't be surprised when it comes to something similar I'm just not sure what the best used lawn mower or tractor engine will be to rig up in my TJ.

A vehicle as antiquated as a TJ will not be significantly effected by dying electronics. Hell, I'd bet something like a smartphone could be used to run a TJ, but these late model vehicles have multiple modules/computers linked together.

Does anyone know how many computers/modules are in a 2020 _____ Right off I can think of an ECM, a trans mod, ABS mod, chassis mod, cab mod, info mod. That's 6 in a generic vehicle that I can think of. I'm sure there are more.

I'm just not sure what the best used lawn mower or tractor engine will be to rig up in my TJ.

Also, I'd shoot for pre emissions Kubota, but I like Orange. ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many computers/modules are in a 2020 _____ Right off I can think of an ECM, a trans mod, ABS mod, chassis mod, cab mod, info mod. That's 6 in a generic vehicle that I can think of. I'm sure there are more.
I have no clue for sure but I would bet that there are actually way more. When you start thinking about things like the big touch screen navs, air suspension, start/stop function, the terrain select type systems, everything that is adjustable and controllable.

Our Grand Cherokee Trailhawk caused me to buy Mopar Max Care. I knew we'd be screwed if any of that ever went bad. So far the 8.4Nav was replaced and I'm sure that wouldn't have been cheap!

Reactions: Blondie70 and BlueC
I have no clue for sure but I would bet that there are actually way more.

An acquaintance of mine went through training to work on Freightliners in 2014-2015. He told me at that time a '15 model tractor had 11 computers. I'd guess a generic late model vehicle is in that range by now.

An acquaintance of mine went through training to work on Freightliners in 2014-2015. He told me at that time a '15 model tractor had 11 computers. I'd guess a generic late model vehicle is in that range by now.

Probably!

One of my cousins (actually a cousin's husband, but same deal) used to be a BMW technician (might still be?) and the last time I remember talking to him about it (probably 2010?) he said that you needed to be more of an electrician or IT tech to work on them. At the time I believe he said it was over a mile of wire in the car (obviously that would be each individual wire, not a mile of loom)! Can you imagine what it is now?

Hell my 2012 has 32 different modules as far as I can tell looking at my programming.
modules.jpg

Hell my 2012 has 32 different modules as far as I can tell looking at my programming.
View attachment 455493

That's the reason I believe many of these vehicles will be sent to the scrapper before they are mechanically worn out. The mechanicals may be fine and able to exceed 250,000 miles and 20+years, but the electronics just can't do it.

Reactions: Zorba and tworley
And you can easily make it a brick if you don't know what you're doing with forscan.

It is a bit scary using Forscan--I have a copy of the as-built programming saved on my laptop. But if you do know what you are doing, there is a lot you can modify/monitor with it.

Reactions: Apparition
It is a bit scary using Forscan--I have a copy of the as-built programming saved on my laptop. But if you do know what you are doing, there is a lot you can modify/monitor with it.

Lots of info out there about what to do but it also seems most vehicles are different. As I'm sure you're aware the key is one small change at a time and document everything for a reversal.

FIFY, many do want it

I'm sure - but many do not. Everywhere I go, people bitch about it. They don't want it, they don't want the reliability/longevity hit, they don't see the point of it, and they sure as HELL don't want to pay for it. I'm just one of many.

I'm sure - but many do not. Everywhere I go, people bitch about it. They don't want it, they don't want the reliability/longevity hit, they don't see the point of it, and they sure as HELL don't want to pay for it. I'm just one of many.

Stop hanging out with the retirees. ;)

I don't know, I suspect the generation of kids that are raised by guys like "us" (that are up to speed on the mechanics and work on our own stuff) will be electronics and programming savvy and will keep old vehicles going with custom code on Arduinos and Raspberry Pis, while the bulk of society will keep driving them with non-functioning components just like they drive them today with CEL's on, have to open the door at the drive through because the window won't roll down, can't see in the rain because the wipers don't work, etc.