Will the Jeep TJ become a "classic" in 10-20 years, like the CJ is today?

Will Jeep TJs be considered a "classic" in 10 - 20 years?

• Yes

Votes: 85 59.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • More than 20 years

Votes: 25 17.6%
  • Less than 10 years

Votes: 25 17.6%

• Total voters
Here in Italy the TJ is already becoming a classic car!
The Automotoclub Storico Italiano, which is the italian authority for historical cars already recognizes the 4.0 TJ a "historically relevant".
Here a decent TJ without the horrible LPG fuel system that unfortunately a lot of people mounted in the past is worth easily more that 16.000 €

Reactions: Chris
Yes, I think any 1980s-early 2000's Jeep especially with the 4.0L (YJ, XJ, MJ, TJ, ZJ, WJ) will become classics. Heck, try finding a decent one now, you will pay dearly for it. They are reliable, easy to fix, and still comfortable enough where they can be daily driven.

When moving towns, which I've done somewhat often, I've found the shops that do customs/classics are the better shops to take my Jeep. Your basic shop can do adequate work. But it's never quite up to par. So at least in the repair side, my 97 is a classic :p

Reactions: Francesco.com
I'm in the "more than 20 years" category on this. Biggest concern for me is will we be able to drive them in 20-30 when they are classics. With the push towards electric and zero-emission vehicles, how long do the old gas guzzlers have? Not to mention the rapid pace the trails are being closed. I can see having to trailer to a designated off-road park being a reality in many locations at some point. There are people now that want to ban any vehicle that gets less than 25 mpg.

state of ohio says at 20 it's a classic, and is exempt from their silly E-check inspections. if i stay here, mine will be stuck on a trailer until then.

Last edited:
I'm in the "more than 20 years" category on this. Biggest concern for me is will we be able to drive them in 20-30 when they are classics. With the push towards electric and zero-emission vehicles, how long do the old gas guzzlers have? Not to mention the rapid pace the trails are being closed. I can see having to trailer to a designated off-road park being a reality in many locations at some point. There are people now that want to ban any vehicle that gets less than 25 mpg.
Don't let me get started about the situation here in Europe and specifically in Italy. Most of the the major cities are closed to the old cars (this applies mainly to diesel cars, luckly) and mountains trails are getting closed for both environmental reasons and safety reasons, since local authorities don't want to spend money in maintenance.

Simple answer for me is yes. My reasoning is like Coke. Coke was great, like the CJ. They came out with New Coke (square headlights anyone) and I hated it, most everyone did.

The TJ, in my opinion, is an absolute Nod to the CJ which I loved, with newer twists. That alone, like Classic Coke hitting the shelves, makes it a classic Jeep and American vehicle.
It also ushered in the end of leaf springs, shackles and Coil Springs took over.

I also believe the TJ ended the CJ style door handles that I believe were AMC design And around forever. (Which I believe are used on all airplane door bathrooms, ha).
The TJ also had the first LJ, which was the true precursor to the 4 door, and like it or not the 4 Door has been HUGE for Jeep. I will never own one personally, because I will now just get a Ford Bronco. Either way the TJ laid the groundwork to provide more than just the “Jeep” 2 door in my opinion.

Went Geek, shorter answer “they went back to round headlights, he’ll yeah, makes it a classic”

Simple answer for me is yes. My reasoning is like Coke. Coke was great, like the CJ. They came out with New Coke (square headlights anyone) and I hated it, most everyone did.

The TJ, in my opinion, is an absolute Nod to the CJ which I loved, with newer twists. That alone, like Classic Coke hitting the shelves, makes it a classic Jeep and American vehicle.
It also ushered in the end of leaf springs, shackles and Coil Springs took over.

I also believe the TJ ended the CJ style door handles that I believe were AMC design And around forever. (Which I believe are used on all airplane door bathrooms, ha).
The TJ also had the first LJ, which was the true precursor to the 4 door, and like it or not the 4 Door has been HUGE for Jeep. I will never own one personally, because I will now just get a Ford Bronco. Either way the TJ laid the groundwork to provide more than just the “Jeep” 2 door in my opinion.

Went Geek, shorter answer “they went back to round headlights, he’ll yeah, makes it a classic”

They knew that new coke was going to be a flop. But to save money in the long term they took the flop.

Old coke: cane sugar based
New coke: designed to be not as good
Classic coke: high fructose corn syrup based

They wanted to clear out the cane sugar based stock before the high fructose corn syrup version hit the shelves so that no one could directly compare the two.

They knew that new coke was going to be a flop. But to save money in the long term they took the flop.

Old coke: cane sugar based
New coke: designed to be not as good
Classic coke: high fructose corn syrup based

They wanted to clear out the cane sugar based stock before the high fructose corn syrup version hit the shelves so that no one could directly compare the two.
Fun conspiracy, but unfortunately not accurate. Most bottlers switched to HFCS by New coke intro.

Simple answer for me is yes.
The TJ also had the first LJ,
*** because I will now just get a Ford Bronco.
Either way the TJ laid the groundwork to provide more than just the “Jeep” 2 door in my opinion.

First of all there is no LJ in the "make year and model". It is the "Unlimited Edition".
*** I hate to agree with you, am also looking for a Bronco.

First of all there is no LJ in the "make year and model". It is the "Unlimited Edition".
*** I hate to agree with you, am also looking for a Bronco.
So what? Everybody calls it an LJ and knows what it refers to. Geezuz. 😒

The one-offs and low-production models will skyrocket. I bet in 30 years, a pristine low-mileage bone stock Unlimited Rubicon could reach $100k (in 30-years-from-now dollars). Really depends on what type of fanatical collector fad is going on at the time.

Consider a Porsche 944 Turbo. In 1988, the Turbo sold for over $40k. I bought mine with 83,000 miles in 2006 for $7k. Today, A low mileage 944 Turbo could sell for $30-$40k. And that jump has happened in only the past couple of years. This is partly due to the cars being worth more parted out than selling the whole car. So numbers dwindled. I didn't buy mine as an investment. I don't see mine going for anything over $50k. I think a low mileage 1986 or maybe 88 -S or 89 could reach $100k someday.

However, the 944 n/a will probably always be a 'beater'. Especially one with an automatic transmission.

What I think will be interesting is the massive amount of JKs that will still be on the road 40-50 years from now. When they will have to have an exemption to burn gas.

They're like VW Beatles.

I believe the LJ (in 20 years) will be as desirable as the CJ8 Scrambler is now. If you really want one, it will be harder to find, and cost more. Mostly because the didn't make as many of either one.

I can’t even think of a YJ as a classic. I think the CJs are just a bygone era. One that Willys started and AMC took over that Chrysler chose to end before renaming it Wrangler.

That is not accurate.

AMC (under control of Renault) chose to end the production of the Jeep CJ.

The 1987 Jeep Wrangler was completely designed by AMC and was sold as an AMC until Chrysler took over in early 1987.

Last edited: