Will this 5.3 Chevy Vortec engine work with my stock axles?

Rainey-OIIIO

Hey guys, first time here and looking forward to it.

1997 Jeep TJ with the horrible 2.5, NP 231, AX5
4" Suspension lift not a great one just a Superlift that didn't come with longer Control arms so I'll be getting those soon.
33 12.50 15 Mud King
2 KC Daylighters on mirror brackets
2 KC Daylighters on front bumper

Donor is a 2001 Chevrolet Z71 that is running and driving.
5.3L Vortec V8
NV261LD Transfer Case
4 Speed Auto Transmission with OD

Will this swap work with my stock axles?

Yes, it will work with your stock axles. You'll likely need to put in the appropriate gear ratio, and you'd be wise to put in some alloy axle shafts and a Super 35 kit in the rear.

But other than that, it will work with the stock axles, no need to change them.

Yes, it will work with your stock axles. You'll likely need to put in the appropriate gear ratio, and you'd be wise to put in some alloy axle shafts and a Super 35 kit in the rear.

But other than that, it will work with the stock axles, no need to change them.

Thank you for the quick response Chris. That's awesome news. Obviously my first engine swap. This old Jeep has had the horrible little 2.5 and AX5 in it for the 21 years I've owned it. Long over due upgrade. I'm headed down to my house in Alabama to pick it up and bring it to Nashville hopefully this weekend if all goes well to get started. My Z71 should be in my hands tonight. If not then I'm going with a Corvette LT1 and 4L60E.

Reactions: Chris
The 4L60E is a great transmission. That’s what I would want behind a V8 swap.

now that i have more time,

Both the 241 and the 261 are chain driven, the 261 is physically bigger (which bigger usually means stronger, but in a jeep space is limited), more aftermarket support for the 241 (SYE's etc.), and the front drive line on the 261 is a slip yoke unlike the solid flange on the 241.

I drove a stock 1986 2.5 Cherokee with 5 speed over most of the jeep roads in sw Colorado including Black Bear and Imogene passes. The little dude was comfortable and the gearing with stock tires was just right. When I got done, I drove it home to Arkansas. This was repeated several times.

I have aTJ Rubicon lifted on 33s now. Certainly stronger with more clearance. But I sure have respect for what that little 2.5 Cherokee would do with a litte judgement.

Reactions: Blondie70
I just finished this swap maybe 6 months ago? It will work if you baby it and only do easy off-roading, but I'd highly recommend you go with a different rearend. I blew out my spider gears twice and then went with the 8.8 conversion with an LSD and its been amazing. with the money you would spend beefing up the 35 and putting some sort of locker in it, you'd have better spent your money on a more capable rear end. I went through East Coast Gear supply and spent right at 2 k. Got 4.10 re-gear to match the front, rebuilt limited slip, new brakes, oil, and the parking brake cables. After you re-gear your 35, install the "ultra 35" kit or what ever its called and add a locker if desired, you're probably looking at 3k anyways. I can also go up to 37's with the 8.8 and probably add 100 hp to the engine with no problems if I wanted.