Winch on stock suspension?

Winch before or after lift?

• Total voters

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have seen a few other threads similar but I would like some of the opinions for my specific scenario. So I am in the first stages of upgrading my Jeep it is completely stock right now besides some rancho 5000x shocks. (It is a 98 sport by the way) I don’t have the money for a proper suspension lift right now but am thinking of upgrading the bumpers to dirtworx and putting a a winch on the front. It will be relatively 100 pounds added to the front and when I stand on the front right now(150ish pounds) the front end sags about an inch. Is it worth getting the winch and bumpers so I can have the confidence to do some more challenging trails or wait until I have the lift to support these mods?

Is it worth getting the winch and bumpers so I can have the confidence to do some more challenging trails or wait until I have the lift to support these mods?
Wheel with friends or a local club, a winch is no way to build confidence. Your money is way better spent on recovery points, straps and basic gear to air up and down your tires.

If you want to get back the lift after putting on heavy bumpers Moog CC780 or CC782 will do that for about $70. You could also get some inexpensive spring spacers.

My first priority would be front and rear recovery points (hooks).
I look at a winch as a recovery method that allows someone a safety net without another rig.

I look at hooks as something that someone else can use to yank you out with when you’re wheeling with other people.

Am I wrong? I feel like both serve different purposes.

A winch can be used to extract yourself or someone else. Tow hooks can be useful when self extracting, and if you have a winch but need to be extracted from the rear by another Jeep you'll need extraction points at the rear.

A beginner's mistake is wheeling without f/r extraction points. I had a clubmember who kept getting stuck and she wouldn't pay attention to the constant strong advice to install f/r tow hooks. I got tired of the extra work required to extract her without tow points. I ended up buying four tow hooks, painted them bright pink, and presented them to her during a club meeting.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Zorba and CybrSlydr
The plan would be using the dirtworx bumpers d-ring mounts as recover points with frame tie ins on the rear have more supported rear ones. I assumed that would work just fine for recover points?
Absolutely. On the rear attaching the tow hooks to the side of the frame works well.
Like this...

Tow Hook_copy_800x600.jpg

Reactions: Noreaster1967
Absolutely. On the rear attaching the tow hooks to the side of the frame works well.
Like this...

View attachment 158357
Oh yes, I remember seeing this thread and I was going to do that too until I found that a non tire carrier dirtworx bumper is cheap and would give me a hitch as well for bike racks and other various things. I am getting the impression that proper airing up and down of tires and recovery points will be the most ideal. I already have a kinetic recovery rope and front hooks as well.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
... but am thinking of upgrading the bumpers to dirtworx and putting a a winch on the front. It will be relatively 100 pounds added to the front and when I stand on the front right now(150ish pounds) the front end sags about an inch. ...

Put a 1" spacer up front.

If you go with friends then worry about lift & tires first. If you go by yourself, don't. A winch can only pull you forward. You should be going backwards. Trying to drag yourself into a bigger mess isn't the best idea.
Even if it means going with a (gasp) Toyota you are better off than learning how to drive offroad by yourself. Confidence is gained by learning, not pulling cable.
This is an opinion.

Reactions: Zorba
Where I wheel, tight trails-trees-sloppy hills-off camber hill climbs- it’s much easier to winch to a tree than to try and get another Jeep located properly to hook up to, let alone pull you as it’s impossible to turn around, sometime even back up. Anytime I get another Jeep, winch and recovery points are done at the same time. To me, they are a required package and should be done together.

Not always and in my experience not often.
In my area. I should have noted that. Here the mud holes are predominantly the reason for stuck. And you most likely will be returning the same way. So pinching forward means pulling deeper into muck, then having to sink back into the same place on the way back.