Winch Problems

On another note the finish on the outside of the case is complete junk, not sure if I want to go through the whole process of repainting it ...
Don't expect Warn or anyone else's finish to hold up better - you might as well repaint it. Water got under the powder coating on my Warn and reacted (!!) with the aluminum. The powder coating just peeled off in sheets - I got it all off, wire-brushed it, and painted. It'll probably hold up better than the powder coat did - but I've learned enough from this escapade that I'm going to keep the winch covered when not in use.

Don't expect Warn or anyone else's finish to hold up better - you might as well repaint it. Water got under the powder coating on my Warn and reacted (!!) with the aluminum. The powder coating just peeled off in sheets - I got it all off, wire-brushed it, and painted. It'll probably hold up better than the powder coat did - but I've learned enough from this escapade that I'm going to keep the winch covered when not in use.

that’s true, especially with the elements up here. I’ve heard mixed things about the covers and with the snow up here idk if it would hold the moisture. I’ll get it working and then it if works go ahead and repaint.

that’s true, especially with the elements up here. I’ve heard mixed things about the covers and with the snow up here idk if it would hold the moisture. I’ll get it working and then it if works go ahead and repaint.
Supposedly the "breathable" covers are mo' bettah - but I can't see how any cover would be worse than leaving it out in the elements - esp. here in Florida. I'm going to "look at" trying to convert a plastic tool box or similar into a hard cover. It'll still be vented anyway. *shrug*

So I’ve been having some issues with my winch, a Quadratec 10k winch with synthetic line. I’ve had it a few years and have only used it a handful of times. Anyways, I went to let out some of the line, not under any load and I get the clicking of the solenoid but the doesn’t go in/out.

Initially I had it wired with an Inline fuse, looking back I probably didn’t need that. I thought it may have been that so I got another fuse and then took everything out and wired it straight to the battery. Still nothing.

Looked up a video on “jumping” the winch with cables from the battery straight to the terminals on the motor and nothing, no spark with I saw in the videos. Checked with test light and it was reading 12v. (Also hooked up straight to battery booster, no go)

I then hooked up the jumpers to the solenoid and activated the switch and found that the motor was getting power from the solenoid at the motor

I’m no electrical/winch expert but I’m thinking the motor is shot? Super disappointing considering I’ve only used it a few times. I know you get what you pay for but I can’t justify spending a ton when I barely go off-road.

I tried getting the motor off but one of the Phillips head screws in there is nearly stripped, tho manipulating the motor around a lot of crap Maybe dirt or rust flakes were coming out... winch definitely hasn’t been submerged or anything.

Quadratec does offer a replacement motor for $100 but I just want to be sure that’s the issue before dumping more money. Any input would be appreciated.

edit: battery is new, no issues with it.

View attachment 199029
Take the motor apart, make certain the brushes move freely and there’s enough spring tension
- especially since you don’t use your winch often, chances are it’s corroded
- this scenario proofs that we need to “engage” our recovery gear regularly

-•|||||•-👋🏿

Reactions: Zorba
Take the motor apart, make certain the brushes move freely and there’s enough spring tension

-•|||||•-👋🏿
Ooops
I didn’t read the whole article from the beginning
My baad ☺️

Mo

-•|||||•-👋🏿

Yup definitely on me, tho I figured they’d be sealed a bit better, oh well live and learn, so brush assembly is bolted to the sides of the motor housing, im assuming you mean free sping for the cylindrical end that goes into the open space of the assembly ?
Any thoughts on reconnecting the wire from the positive terminal ? Not sure where it was connected originally.

Look at your photos from inside the motor housing, there is the other end of your brush terminal wire. If you're looking at $100 for a new motor and you're uncertain about the gearbox health, I'd just get a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch with a coupon which puts it at $250 or $300 for the steel cable model. All new everything, add in their 2 year replacement plan and just exchange it every 2 years.

Look at your photos from inside the motor housing, there is the other end of your brush terminal wire. If you're looking at $100 for a new motor and you're uncertain about the gearbox health, I'd just get a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch with a coupon which puts it at $250 or $300 for the steel cable model. All new everything, add in their 2 year replacement plan and just exchange it every 2 years.
I pulled the gear housing and was surprised it wasn’t rusty all, seemed to have plenty of grease and no broken parts. That’s my dilemma, spend the $100 and just make sure I use it once a month to keep it good or spend more. In all honestly I haven’t been able to off road at all this year. Between the need to be in a club, nothing very close and time it just hasn’t been in the cards.

I’ll have to look at the motor end again when I get home to see the connection.

So I got the positive terminal/bolt out, I THINK I found the spot on the brush assembly, dumb question but is this something I can just solder ?

1F8AAFC3-7EEC-49E0-880F-E986844574CE.jpeg

Tried my hand at soldering it, skills are definitely subpar lol, put it all back together a few times, hooked up my jump pack to it, got a quick spark when applying to positive terminal and then nothing. After a few failed attempts into the trash it went and I ordered a new one. Not worth my time or aggravation anymore. I’ll be sure to use it once a month or so to hopefully avoid this issue again.

Gotta love sub 2 day shipping times! Hooked it up good to go! Going to try and apply some kind of clear sealant on the motor end and get some new terminal
Boots to clean it up a bit.

Tried my hand at soldering it, skills are definitely subpar lol, put it all back together a few times, hooked up my jump pack to it, got a quick spark when applying to positive terminal and then nothing. After a few failed attempts into the trash it went and I ordered a new one. Not worth my time or aggravation anymore. I’ll be sure to use it once a month or so to hopefully avoid this issue again.
Probably too dirty to solder.