Winch suggestions

WARN

Reactions: TJ Starting
I’ve owned both Warn (8274, the gold standard, HS9500, and have two Smittybilt winch’s now) and the new smittybilts are nice. On my hardcore off-road rigs...where I’d use the winch often, I’d go for broke and pay for warn. On my light trail rigs, with traction boards....I’m happy with my choice. They have worked fine, if not slow, they work.

Reactions: Pidgy
I’ve owned the Warn 8274 and it’s a great winch, but I can’t say enough about the Warn Zeon Platinum 10 S. It’s expensive but it’s a whole new level of winching.

My first winch was a Tulsa 5, PTO drive. Before I bought my M8000 I looked at a Ramsey Hydraulic and the Mile Marker but there are many advantages to the modern electric winch.

The Tulsa 5 was bulletproof. Massive steel worm gear and a solid brass ring gear.

Anyone remember the Hickey Sidewinder ?
On 1970s pickups it would fit behind the stock bumper.
It was definitely not bulletproof.

Last edited:
How does the forum feel about a Warn Zeon 12 w/Steel lines. Found on CL for $800, looks like it was mounted but only for show.

How does the forum feel about a Warn Zeon 12 w/Steel lines. Found on CL for $800, looks like it was mounted but only for show.

Well a jeep only needs an 8K winch, if you dont plan on using it a lot, getting a cheaper winch may be more cost effective. If you have the money for the winch then go for it

Most high capacity winches use higher gear ratios to pull those loads meaning they tend to be slower. 216:1 vs 162:1 for the 12 vs the 8 Zeon for example. About 3 min vs 4:30 min to spool the whole thing, something to consider. Personally I picked a 10K winch because it was a bit slower and draws a bit less current than the same winch rated 8K. I felt slow was an asset for me. The only physical difference was the gear ratio on mine and I have a feeling the Warn is probably similar.

My 8274 can do 8K pull at 75' per minute, that is the standard to compare it to.
How fast can it pull at 10K?

And just to compare at the rated 8K pull the Warn is 8.7 ft/min at 480A and a Milemarker SEC8 is 10.8 ft/min at 370A so as far as the standard to compare to I'd say when you're actually pulling something the Warn isn't so great is it?

Last edited:
Well, all good to know and I've learned something new today. I have a shittybilt 9500 and saw the warn, seemed like a good deal. I'm not in the market, just looking for deals.

Well, all good to know and I've learned something new today. I have a shittybilt 9500 and saw the warn, seemed like a good deal. I'm not in the market, just looking for deals.
Well do you want a deal or an awesome project? The 8274 is friggin awesome for a winch. The Brits have these things hands down. Google Gigglepin...2 7.5 horsepower motors mounted on a top plate. Mega solenoids and good batteries to make these things work. Also having the motor and gears external from the spool allows the winch run cooler. Cooler=more efficient on long or multiple pulls.

Its funny, I am a builder, not a user so much...I need to get out more with my jeep!