Window Shopping for Ramp Trucks or Roll Backs

not that particular model posted.......in genral . are you looking for a project or a ready to drive deal?

Squares have a higher potential to have factory A/C and front disc brakes came standard 2 years after my current truck.
20201208_094225.jpg

I am just window shopping/day dreaming of hauling my Jeep to out of state trails without a trailer. I looking at trucks with factory A/C and better brakes.

After I burned up TWO STaK's transfer cases did they figure out that you couldn't flat tow with one installed. Sucked cause now I had to go spend the money and buy a trailer..

1661037506803.png

1661037643419.png

So I totally get this. I hope you can find something that suits your needs and does what you want.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
After I burned up TWO STaK's transfer cases did they figure out that you couldn't flat tow with one installed. Sucked cause now I had to go spend the money and buy a trailer..

View attachment 352798

View attachment 352799

So I totally get this. I hope you can find something that suits your needs and does what you want.

I will eventually replace the np231 with a Midnight Metalworks D300 with the doubler. I will go back and find MM dudes posts on here to ask about flat towing.

And think you @Wildman I didnt even think about flat towing with the Ramp truck blinders I have on my eyes.

Reactions: Woodrow and Wildman

View attachment 352798

View attachment 352799

a stak case with a busted gear came up 1/2 hr away the other day for 250$. i was gonna contact you and ask if it was worth snaggin, but it was gone in a few hrs. i know parts are tough to find for those.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman and RINC
I will eventually replace the np231 with a Midnight Metalworks D300 with the doubler. I will go back and find MM dudes posts on here to ask about flat towing.

And think you @Wildman I didnt even think about flat towing with the Ramp truck blinders I have on my eyes.

Make sure you can flat tow. STaK's never figured out why you couldn't flat tow.

Before I'd swapped axles I had a full floater kit so I could unlock the rear.

I did post the question to on the MM tread and quoted his username. I hope he can give me good news.

It seems like it should be able to be since if I remember correctly a D300 could be flat towed.

The only thing I don't like about flat towing is if something in the drivetrain breaks and you can't tow it.

Here is what I found after doing a search.

as per the 1984 Jeep CJ7/Scrambler owner's manual:

FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION

1. turn ignition switch to OFF position to unlock steering wheel

2. shift transmission into gear and transfer case into neutral..... (I have always understood to use the highest forward gear your tranny has but it doesn't say that in the manual)

3. turn selective drive hubs to 4x4 position, for axle lubrication

note: when towing a vehicle over 200 miles, stop every 200 miles. With the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear, start the engine and rev engine for about one minute to circulate oil in the transfer case.

FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

1. turn ignition to off to unlock the steering wheel

2. shift auto tranny into PARK

3. shift tcase into neutral

4. turn hubs to 4x4

When towing over 200 miles stop every 200 miles. With the tcase in neutral, start the engine shift tranny into DRIVE and then rev motor for about 1 minute to circulate oil in the transfer case.

• USA Proud
It seems like it should be able to be since if I remember correctly a D300 could be flat towed.

The only thing I don't like about flat towing is if something in the drivetrain breaks and you can't tow it.

Here is what I found after doing a search.

as per the 1984 Jeep CJ7/Scrambler owner's manual:

FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION

1. turn ignition switch to OFF position to unlock steering wheel

2. shift transmission into gear and transfer case into neutral..... (I have always understood to use the highest forward gear your tranny has but it doesn't say that in the manual)

3. turn selective drive hubs to 4x4 position, for axle lubrication

note: when towing a vehicle over 200 miles, stop every 200 miles. With the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear, start the engine and rev engine for about one minute to circulate oil in the transfer case.

FOR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

1. turn ignition to off to unlock the steering wheel

2. shift auto tranny into PARK

3. shift tcase into neutral

4. turn hubs to 4x4

When towing over 200 miles stop every 200 miles. With the tcase in neutral, start the engine shift tranny into DRIVE and then rev motor for about 1 minute to circulate oil in the transfer case.

it's a jeep, why not just drop the drive shafts and go? the trans or TC won't know they left the driveway. takes what 10-15m ea to slap um back in on the other end.
maybe not feasible for closer local trips, but for extended hauls.

it's a jeep, why not just drop the drive shafts and go? the trans or TC won't know they left the driveway. takes what 10-15m ea to slap um back in on the other end.
maybe not feasible for closer local trips, but for extended hauls.

Yes dropping the driveline is always an option. Take it loose at the pinion and ziptie it to something up out of the way. And to not ruin your t-case it's one way to make sure you don't. There are times I wouldn't want to crawl under my rig and disconnect it or hook it back up but yes 90% of the time this is an easy fix.

Yes dropping the driveline is always an option. Take it loose at the pinion and ziptie it to something up out of the way. And to not ruin your t-case it's one way to make sure you don't. There are times I wouldn't want to crawl under my rig and disconnect it or hook it back up but yes 90% of the time this is an easy fix.

ya, dropping may not have even been the right term......like you say, a simple disco at the axle and secure it up out of the way would be enough.

ya, dropping may not have even been the right term......like you say, a simple disco at the axle and secure it up out of the way would be enough.

Yes, but it wasn't the question. And while the Midnight box uses the D300 gearing I don't know if this applies or not.

There are tons of options just have to decide on what works best for you and your situation.