Windshield Frame Guards

Quoting myself: Cancelled the UCF and ordered the GenRight.
Good call here. I broke my own rule and purchased a UCF one, solely based on price. The coverage wasn't what it should be, the weld was ugly, and it didn't fit like it should. I've ordered lots of UCF parts over the years and was always happy with what I received, except in this case. Following your install with interest! (y)

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Good call here. I broke my own rule and purchased a UCF one, solely based on price. The coverage wasn't what it should be, the weld was ugly, and it didn't fit like it should. I've ordered lots of UCF parts over the years and was always happy with what I received, except in this case. Following your install with interest! (y)
Touching base with a local powdercoater for the GR guards, GR half-doors and new Black Magic tie rod. Thinking I can get them all done in one session in gloss black.

I also have a Currie trackbar to install, UCF engine skid, a new Bestop Bikini and header, RotoPax rollbar mounts for water and possibly a passenger side Rock Hard gas can rack (depending on my measurements when the top is off). Getting ready for topless and overnight trail runs. Picking up my new 10 x 10 Kodiak tent this afternoon. To cot, or to air mattress...

Still breaking in the 5.13s. And figuring out what to do with my 16" beadlocks.

I'll post up pics during the w/s guard install. Haven't even looked at the hardware yet.

Reactions: L J and Irun
First look at fitment on the GR w/s guards - looks like the hardtop will need to be lifted to get them underneath the weatherstrip. Hopefully will not effect the seal when i put it back on. Might be why UCF are shorter. Might get to it today after fitting my passenger GR half door.
Opted to paint gloss black since they're steel. Will do the same with the BM tie rod.
Will powder-coat the aluminum doors.

I had the old style Genright guards that were like the UCF ones that are not full coverage. And wouldn’t you know it I crushed the upper corner above the guard. I now have the new style Genright guards that are much higher up and full coverage for the new frame. They should be a whole lot better. Are the worth $250 probably not but I couldn’t make them cheaper and my new windshield and windshield frame cost me a lot more than these did.
Did you have to move the hardtop to install the GR guards? Also wondering if pulling the inner A-pillar trim might allow access to use nuts instead of nutserts? ..since I have the doors off already.

Did you have to move the hardtop to install the GR guards? Also wondering if pulling the inner A-pillar trim might allow access to use nuts instead of nutserts? ..since I have the doors off already.
I only have a soft top so not sure. And mine is a 1999 so no inner frame trim panels either. Sorry I can’t help you.

the windshield frame is 2 ply and hollow. If you pull trim you would have to drill through both layers, then when you torque it may crush the 2 together distorting the frame.

when i damaged my frame I attempted to drill through the inside to massage the outer back to its original position but it was alot of wasted effort.

the windshield frame is 2 ply and hollow. If you pull trim you would have to drill through both layers, then when you torque it may crush the 2 together distorting the frame.

when i damaged my frame I attempted to drill through the inside to massage the outer back to its original position but it was alot of wasted effort.
Right you are. There was no need to remove anything. The baby nutserts worked perfectly with a second pair of hands to position the guards to mark before drilling. Simple removal of OEM screws using 1/2" impact on #2 and pressure. Place the guards in place with new hardware, position, mark the 3 spots, remove, drill, nutsert and put it back together. Nothing I even bothered to photograph. I will post a picture of the finished product, probably tomorrow. Other than the shiny stainless hardware it's really not noticeable. Excellent fitment.
They do butt right up against the rubber seal, which is a good thing. Hope I never need them. And the rattle can gloss black from NAPA is a good match to PX8. 3 coats of self-etching and 3 or 4 light coats of black. If it scuffs, I'll tape and re-shoot.

Right you are. There was no need to remove anything. The baby nutserts worked perfectly with a second pair of hands to position the guards to mark before drilling. Simple removal of OEM screws using 1/2" impact on #2 and pressure. Place the guards in place with new hardware, position, mark the 3 spots, remove, drill, nutsert and put it back together. Nothing I even bothered to photograph. I will post a picture of the finished product, probably tomorrow. Other than the shiny stainless hardware it's really not noticeable. Excellent fitment.
They do butt right up against the rubber seal, which is a good thing. Hope I never need them. And the rattle can gloss black from NAPA is a good match to PX8. 3 coats of self-etching and 3 or 4 light coats of black. If it scuffs, I'll tape and re-shoot.
Pictures?

Reactions: Bigmac
Pictures?
Already scuffed up a bit on install.. don't care.
A little bonus footage.

PXL_20220325_225003916.MP.jpg

PXL_20220325_224951681.jpg

PXL_20220325_225008843.jpg

PXL_20220325_225126965.MP.jpg

@NOTNSUV Just got mine in the mail. If the bottom bolts are snug, the gaurds are not snug against the WS frame. If they are snug against the WS frame, seems like the bottom side bolts will be pulling them away at the top. If they were fullsize nutserts I wouldn't be concerned, but being as they are tiny ones, I'm worried. I just bought this WS frame, I'm tryin to protect it, not fuck it up pulling nutserts out..

No instructions included. Did you do the top or bottom first? what size bit? 1/4? or 9/32s or something obscure?

Thanks.

@NOTNSUV Just got mine in the mail. If the bottom bolts are snug, the gaurds are not snug against the WS frame. If they are snug against the WS frame, seems like the bottom side bolts will be pulling them away at the top. If they were fullsize nutserts I wouldn't be concerned, but being as they are tiny ones, I'm worried. I just bought this WS frame, I'm tryin to protect it, not fuck it up pulling nutserts out..

No instructions included. Did you do the top or bottom first? what size bit? 1/4? or 9/32s or something obscure?

Thanks.

Crap, I've exhaled since then.;) Honestly I don't remember but size but did use the supplied mini-serts and had a helper pressing the new part against the frame as we bolted it.