Windshield Frame Guards

I am not sure that's worth more than 2x the price for me, but that is a little unfortunate. I wonder if that matters though?
Agreed. I'm about to drop the coin for UCF. Maybe he can ship same time as the engine skid and save a shipping dollar..

Yup,told him I can wait for him to ship with the skid and he waived the $16 shipping on the WSG.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
Is cost the determining factor UCF over GR? I'm gonna get one or t'other. Can probably live with exposed hardware.
Wondering if I can mod it up for rivnuts instead of pop rivets.
Didn't know about the GR version. I will lean towards aluminum. And I can address the countersink and the weld seam.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Didn't know about the GR version. I will lean towards aluminum. And I can address the countersink and the weld seam.
'zackley what I'm doing.
Placed the order, now, true to form, I might have to adjust to get the aforementioned lightbar/riser bracket setup.

You could even use the light bar tabs to install some limb riser cables...
I couldn't justify the cost of the windshield guards and went that route. I thought about just cutting the tabs off though. They cover my dent well and gave me a place for my lights for $25.
RUBI 1 9 22 5 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Never considered that.. hmm. Some folks on here scoff at risers, but if you need them..

Saw a guy in a Land Rover D90 that had limb risers catch a limb backing up. It shattered his windshield. Granted the dumbass was going too fast in reverse and turned around in his seat looking behind him so he had no idea what was happening up front until he heard the glass shatter.

Anyone using either of these or another brand? Price discrepancy is stark. Rock Hard doesn't seem to have them. I get that only a limited number of folks here are on the kind of trails where these are needed; I'd be one of them.

Looking at windshield frame guards from GenRight $249 in steel.
https://genright.com/products/windshield-guards-for-the-jeep-tj-lj.html#product-reviews
and UCF in aluminum $111 (or steel).
https://undercoverfab.com/misc-armo...j.html#/22-material_type-1_8_6061_t6_aluminum
The UCF are 2 piece (2 "planes" for fitment) and there's an obvious seam, which may or not bother me.

Thanks.

Genright talks about grinding the welds so they may be made the same way or similar, just with the weld grown down to not be visible.

I'd rather have aluminum, myself...maybe go UCF and grind the welds down yourself?

Genright talks about grinding the welds so they may be made the same way or similar, just with the weld grown down to not be visible.

I'd rather have aluminum, myself...maybe go UCF and grind the welds down yourself?
I did not have any welds to grind on my Genright ones... they fit perfect form the get go and as listed above they fit to the top of the frame.

I went steel over aluminum just in case I decided I wanted to weld on light mounts or something later down the road... 2lbs different didn't seem like much.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Saw a guy in a Land Rover D90 that had limb risers catch a limb backing up. It shattered his windshield. Granted the dumbass was going too fast in reverse and turned around in his seat looking behind him so he had no idea what was happening up front until he heard the glass shatter.
I could easily resemble that...

I did not have any welds to grind on my Genright ones... they fit perfect form the get go and as listed above they fit to the top of the frame.

I went steel over aluminum just in case I decided I wanted to weld on light mounts or something later down the road... 2lbs different didn't seem like much.
I agree on the weight, but I don't weld, so aluminum is a non-issue and I have no desire for high or hood mounted lights.

As far as grinding the welds, I'll probably leave them as they are just to antagonize my whiny ass trail buddies.. give them something to bitch about the way I build my shit.:ROFLMAO: Ya know, "I wouldn't have done it that way."

You should see the looks I get when I mention my new hot shit BMB BBK - and Centramatics - OMG!

FWIW I went to the hardware store today, loaded all the goodies I'd need to build my own limb risers (from a YouTube video) and came up with a basket worth $67, with only a couple 'extras' I thought I might need. Could have trimmed it to $50 pre tax if I got precisely what's listed. I'll shop the premade kits and see where I end up. Stuffs already been engineered, but it might be a fun project, too.

1/8” wire cable (10-12’)
1/8” wire cable thimbles (x4)
1/8” wire clamps (x8)
Turnbuckles (x2)
Chain hooks (x4)
1” aluminum flat bar (1-2’)

Reactions: DaveF
I've only seen a few vehicles with limb risers on them but have no personal experience with them. what happens when the riser hits something too solid to move? does it break away or break something else?

I've had a rock or root overhang my hood while I maneuvered around an obstacle before and this thread just got me wondering...

I've only seen a few vehicles with limb risers on them but have no personal experience with them. what happens when the riser hits something too solid to move? does it break away or break something else?

I've had a rock or root overhang my hood while I maneuvered around an obstacle before and this thread just got me wondering...
Hopefully it won't sneak up on me and I can dig out the chainsaw or sawzall. They're limb risers, not tree trunk risers.;)

Yeah, their website says they grind the welds so they don't show.

Aluminum would be less about the weight for me and more about corrosion.

Reactions: DaveF and NOTNSUV
I really hate the look of this weld lol. I'd be all about grinding that sucker off, but then I'm half wondering if the reason it's piled up so high is that they did a butt weld without a bevel and grinding it down would grind it off entirely.

1645756382790.png

I really hate the look of this weld lol. I'd be all about grinding that sucker off, but then I'm half wondering if the reason it's piled up so high is that they did a butt weld without a bevel and grinding it down would grind it off entirely.

View attachment 311897
Sure hope not. I haven't used UCF but their rep is good enough that I'd expect better. I'll post pics of both sides when mine shows up, probably next week.

Reactions: rasband