Windshield wiper question

DWR

TJ Addict
May be a dumb question, but I only know one other person with a TJ and his does the same, so I don’t know if this is normal or if my switch (or something else) is acting up.

So, my windshield wiper has no intermittent setting, it’s either full on, fast, or faster. Also the wipers do not return to the down position when turned off, they simply just stop where ever they were turned off. Is this normal operation for TJ wipers, or do I need a new switch or something?

I obviously know the TJ is pretty much a bare bones vehicle, and I love it for that… but these two things annoy me a bit.

According to page 8W-53-1 in the FSM for a 1997 (found on the TJ Resources forum here), there is a park switch in the motor, and if the wipers aren't parking, that switch is likely faulty. You probably have to replace the motor. Here's the paragraph describing how it works:

1658409614529.png

And here's the schematic with the park switch highlighted (page 8W-53-5):

1658409843731.png

Reactions: BlueC
According to page 8W-53-1 in the FSM for a 1997 (found on the TJ Resources forum here), there is a park switch in the motor, and if the wipers aren't parking, that switch is likely faulty. You probably have to replace the motor. Here's the paragraph describing how it works:

View attachment 344714

And here's the schematic with the park switch highlighted (page 8W-53-5):

View attachment 344716

So it SHOULD return to the down position then! Guessing there isn’t a way to repair that park switch other than replacing the whole dern motor huh?

So it SHOULD return to the down position then! Guessing there isn’t a way to repair that park switch other than replacing the whole dern motor huh?

There's always a way to fix something rather than replace it. The questions to ask are: 1) how handy am I?, 2) how expensive is a new motor?, and 3) how much time do I have to fix this?

:unsure:

Reactions: BlueC
You appear to have intermittent wipers, which are covered separately in that same section of the FSM. However, the park switch is the same for both (in the motor).

Solving the problem of your intermittent wipers not working is a bit more complicated. You need to read the manual and start diagnosing the circuits and components.

Also, if you are not the original owner, a previous owner may have changed your stalk, but not wired it up (I'm not sure if that's possible, though). If you get the build sheet for your VIN (search the forum for how to do that), it will tell you if yours was built with intermittent wipers.

Reactions: willrek
You appear to have intermittent wipers, which are covered separately in that same section of the FSM. However, the park switch is the same for both (in the motor).
So are you saying that fixing the park switch *may* fix both issues because the park switch is used for the intermittent to work correctly? (Would make sense to me)

Also, if you are not the original owner, a previous owner may have changed your stalk, but not wired it up (I'm not sure if that's possible, though). If you get the build sheet for your VIN (search the forum for how to do that), it will tell you if yours was built with intermittent wipers.
I’m not the original owner. Who knows lol, I’ll dig up the vin info and post it up.

There's always a way to fix something rather than replace it. The questions to ask are: 1) how handy am I?, 2) how expensive is a new motor?, and 3) how much time do I have to fix this?

:unsure:

1) pretty dern handy
2) quick search shows it will be hard to find a Mopar one and probably not cheap
3) it’s my secondary vehicle, so as long as I want.
So… any how to’s that you know of?

Thank you all so much!

So are you saying that fixing the park switch *may* fix both issues because the park switch is used for the intermittent to work correctly? (Would make sense to me)

No, I wasn't saying that. I was just pointing out that I had assumed you didn't have intermittent wipers, so I showed you the FSM sections for that option. However, the parking system works the same for the intermittent wipers. However, I agree with your inference that the park switch could affect the intermittent wipers since they wouldn't know where to "pause" in between wipes. I hadn't considered that.

So… any how to’s that you know of?

Unfortunately, no. I've never seen the insides of any wiper motor. If it were me, and I were going to attempt to repair the park switch, I'd just dive in and first diagnose the problem and then decide if I had the skill set and tools to fix it (or pull a park switch from a junk yard motor and use that), if it's actually removeable/replaceable.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

So unfortunately since my jeep is a 97 the vin lookup for build sheet doesn’t work… unless there is some other tool that will

Well, that stinks. I didn't realize that first-year TJs weren't in that database.

Reactions: DWR
No, I wasn't saying that. I was just pointing out that I had assumed you didn't have intermittent wipers, so I showed you the FSM sections for that option. However, the parking system works the same for the intermittent wipers. However, I agree with your inference that the park switch could affect the intermittent wipers since they wouldn't know where to "pause" in between wipes. I hadn't considered that.

Unfortunately, no. I've never seen the insides of any wiper motor. If it were me, and I were going to attempt to repair the park switch, I'd just dive in and first diagnose the problem and then decide if I had the skill set and tools to fix it (or pull a park switch from a junk yard motor and use that), if it's actually removeable/replaceable.

Well, that stinks. I didn't realize that first-year TJs weren't in that database.

Well, I probably do just that, break it open and see what I can fix or tear up… Might post a how to if it turns out good.

Yea… one of the “perks” of having a bastard year.

Hum, curious to see the outcome on this one. Mine stop where you stop them at. Figured it was the motor so I replaced it,still the same problem. I also have no high speed on mine, just slow speed.

Not to be an a$$, but hopefully you know that in addition to moving the stalk up to delay, you have to rotate the knob for speed control.

Reactions: MikekiM
Hum, curious to see the outcome on this one. Mine stop where you stop them at. Figured it was the motor so I replaced it,still the same problem. I also have no high speed on mine, just slow speed.

I’ll be sure to let you all know. My first attempt I’m just trying bending the pin further up.. maybe it will work, or maybe it will stop at the incorrect position idk. But If it does work I’ll be taking it apart again and greasing it so I’ll probably take pics and make a how to.

If this first approach works but stops in the wrong spot I may try soldering an extension to the broken pin to get it in the correct contact spot.