Winter outdoor storage options (no roof)

wje118

Hi all. just joined the forum. Finally got back into a jeep this summer by purchasing a 2004 TJ with 200K+ miles on it as a fun 3rd car. Bought it for some fun during the summer with my 2 young sons. My first car was an 89 YJ and always knew I'd get back into a wrangler at some point.

As we are coming to the end of the summer here in New England, I'm starting to wonder what to do with my TJ as I plan to park it for the winter. I don't have a garage space for it during the winter as our two daily drivers will move into both my bays. Unfortunately, the old soft top that came on it has no back window so I'm trying to figure out what my best options are. I plan to take the battery out and put it indoors on a trickle charger, and I'll wrap up the air intake and exhaust to try and keep the mice out. What else? Even if I get a cap or full cover, I'm concerned about the snow. Has anyone already been through this?

Hi all. just joined the forum. Finally got back into a jeep this summer by purchasing a 2004 TJ with 200K+ miles on it as a fun 3rd car. Bought it for some fun during the summer with my 2 young sons. My first car was an 89 YJ and always knew I'd get back into a wrangler at some point.

As we are coming to the end of the summer here in New England, I'm starting to wonder what to do with my TJ as I plan to park it for the winter. I don't have a garage space for it during the winter as our two daily drivers will move into both my bays. Unfortunately, the old soft top that came on it has no back window so I'm trying to figure out what my best options are. I plan to take the battery out and put it indoors on a trickle charger, and I'll wrap up the air intake and exhaust to try and keep the mice out. What else? Even if I get a cap or full cover, I'm concerned about the snow. Has anyone already been through this?
A back window is less than a cover.

Is it a hit with the boys?

No, I've not been through it. But, I would think plywood under a decent tarp over the top of jeep should do it.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
Cheap easy and maybe good enough: Get the smallest tarp you can find and slide it under the top but over the metal bows and have it drape down over the tailgate. Hook the top back onto the tub and use a couple bungee cords to hold the bottom of the tarp down.

Unless that top is worn to the point you can almost see light through it, it should hold more snow than you'd expect.

How much snow are we talking about? a few inches or a few feet. Snow looks lite and airy but one it gets to a foot or more it starts getting heavy

I'd put the TJ in the garage and park one of the DD's outside.
This is what I do until I can get a carport put up. I have a cover from Quadratec that I use on the Jeep when it is stored outside - also protects it from the acorns which are about to start falling and denting the cars.

I'd suggest the car cover and if it snows just make sure you clear it off. The one I have covers the whole Jeep - I leave the top on but all the windows out.

I have a 10'x20' canopy beside my garage which comes in handy for all kinds of work. In the winter it's a good place to store one of my Jeeps or trailers. As you can see though, it collects water & snow so you have to push up on the fabric fairly often to keep it from buckling.

20-09-04 1.JPG

I have used a cab cover on mine for a couple years, although I do have a back window but the cover does go over that space. We have had a 2' snow storm with no issues with the top up and the roll bars. Now it stays inside with the top off for the winter

When storing a boat for the winter we used to hang a light bulb inside. That small amount of heat helped keep the condensation down.

Reactions: bucky
How much snow are we talking about? a few inches or a few feet. Snow looks lite and airy but one it gets to a foot or more it starts getting heavy
I'm outside Boston, so we are several storms of a few inches and then at lest 2-3 big storms where we will get a foot or more.