Winter storage for 97 TJ

rumplemanz

Hi everyone

First time Jeep owner after a lifetime of dreaming of it. Live in Michigan and plan to store my TJ indoors (non-heated) for the winter months. I want to make sure I do it correctly. I'm most concerned about gas line freeze. I plan to add an additive. And issues with the brakes. Anything suggestions? Anything else to be aware of? thanks everyone.

Reactions: Babygools99
I'd treat it like my motorcycle--trickle charger on battery, jack stands to avoid flat spots on the tires, a full tank of gas with stabil and fresh oil. Fire it up in the spring and enjoy

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
If you can, your best bet is a full tank of non-ethanol gas. Ethonal absorbes water, but on normal use (driving) it's fine. For longer storage, non-ethanol and the Fuel Stable (along with the battery tender as suggested) is ideal.

Note: not all high-octane fuel is non-ethanol. Best bet is looking up stations on pure-gas.org

Fill it up, put some STA-BIL in it, put a trickle charger on it and let it sit for a few months. Nothing is going to freeze up on it as long as the anti-freeze is good to go.

I've stored mine for at least the last 5 years. I don't make sure I have a full tank or anything, just add the right amount of Sta-bil and follow the instructions (let it run a little bit after adding). Bounce sheets to keep the mice out of it, plus it smells great in the spring. Put it on jack stands to keep the tires from getting flat spots. I pull the battery right out and bring it inside to keep it warm over the winter. There may be more but I've had no issues storing mine this way, it's the best thing you can do for these machines in my opinion.