Wipers stopped working while driving

ellipsis

Hi Guys,

I've a 2001 Sahara. While on the highway, the wipers stopped working with a plastic burning smell.
I think the wiper-motor is dead but want to check with y'all.

After I got home, I found out the wiper-fuse was blown (probably as a fail-safe) so I replaced it with a new one. Now the wire-harness that connects to the motor gets really hot when I turn on the wiper switch. Does that mean switch/electricals are working and motor is the issue? Before I buy a new wiper-motor, how do I check if it's the electrical issue or the wiper-motor?

Been following this nice detailed write-up by @TJDave so far.

Thank You! =)

How hot is the wiper motor? Bet that is where the amp draw is and it is causing the rest of the circuit to heat up.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
First thing I would look for is the relay that controls the wiper motor. You probably need a service manual with electrical diagrams to tell which one it is.

However, find it and smell it. If it smells burnt, you found your issue. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a really go bad and smell that burning smell.

@Stinger yes the wiper motor is hot too. Today when I tried, the wiring didn't really get hot but the motor did.

@Chris By relay do you mean the plugs inside pdc box in the hood or something inside the steering? The smell definitely seem to be coming from wiper-motor area though.

5c83918b27ed34ef2c681c441d495033.jpg

f1a0ce18218c238ff87aa80ea993a800.jpg

60b19c537879b2b1a0fc0614cda93154.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dollar to a doughnut its your motor. The relays only react to the current drawn through them. It's kinda like the resistors associated with the fan motor. The amp draw of the fan motor is what causes the components to overheat and then fail.

Last edited:
Thanks Stinger.
Ordered the motor on Amazon.
[emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk