Wiring from the previous owner

Ricgowan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Was installing the controls for my heated seat kit and while I was hooking the ground to a black wire behind the glove box, I noticed the PO had run a wire jumper connecting fuse #18 (Aux Power Unswitched) to Fuse #8 (HEVAC Blower Fan). Also both sockets had 30 amp (!) fuses in them. Figured, "that can't be right", so I yanked the wire out and replaced one of the fuses with the only 15 amp fuse I had on hand.

Now, my airbag light is on, my fan blower does not work, and I have no heat. I'll be putting it back the way it was for now, but WTF?

I don't know the WTF answer but I wouldn't go back to the 30 amp fuse unless that's what it's supposed to have. If the correct fuse blows you have another problem and don't want to give that circuit's wiring the option of burning instead of that fuse blowing.

Reactions: Ricgowan
I don't know the WTF answer but I wouldn't go back to the 30 amp fuse unless that's what it's supposed to have. If the correct fuse blows you have another problem and don't want to give that circuit's wiring the option of burning instead of that fuse blowing.
Yep, stopping by OReillys or AutoZone to get more fuses in the correct amperages.

Reactions: qslim
Are you handy at reading wiring diagrams? You can get your FMS over in the TJ Resources section, it has all the diagrams & fuse locations. I had to undo a fair amount myself when I went to install a double-din touch screen radio & found a complete disaster inside the dash.

Are you handy at reading wiring diagrams? You can get your FMS over in the TJ Resources section, it has all the diagrams & fuse locations. I had to undo a fair amount myself when I went to install a double-din touch screen radio & found a complete disaster inside the dash.
Not handy, but certainly determined. I downloaded the FSM a while back, I'll have to give it a look. Thanks!

Not handy, but certainly determined. I downloaded the FSM a while back, I'll have to give it a look. Thanks!
I look at wiring diagrams for a living, if you need a hand sorting anything out just post it up. There are plenty of others on here too, @Daryl is always on point with sparky stuff.

Sounds like someone may have addressed the symptom of a bad blower motor (drawing excessive current) by adding a relay. I would remove all that and put it back to the way the factory had it. Like others already suggested, download the FSM and look at the blower motor wiring pages to get you started. If you have any questions, post them up. Pictures always help.