Wiring nightmare after small engine fire

OK so I'm not getting spark definely getting fuel or at least the multimeter is saying to the injector wires, I put a spark plug in the wire directly off the coil and getting nothings I put my multimeter in the connector and nothing any ideas??

I'm guessing you;'re not getting power to the ASD and/or fuel relay. Maybe you already checked it earlier in the thread, but have a buddy put their finger on those relays and turn the key on to see if either one clicks. Because we're scientific, if one doesn't click, swap the relays & test again. I'm confident it's not the relays but it's always good to isolate the easy stuff.

From there you'll have to use your multi meter and figure out if you have voltage where you should have voltage, etc. There really ought to be a workflow/checklist to troubleshoot this stuff. I'll put that on the list of things I should do but probably never will, only to remember that I was going to do it but never did the next time I have a no start situation.

I'm not sure your spark plug test is valid though, don't they need to be grounded through the engine block?

Well I tried what doing a video on YouTube and having the spark plug against and around metal but again I'm no true mechanical I just play one out in the garage...this jeep has taken me from not know much more than an oil change to being able to work on every part and learn soooo much I never thought I would know but electrical is a pain!!! And obviously I learn everything the hard way...but yes we need to pool together check list for situations I like that idea!!!! I'm going to talk one of the super smart engineers in my office into doing that for us lol...I'm the a.d.h.d one but I get get their stuff built ...they can sit on the computer all day they can surely bang out a check list lol

Well I tried what doing a video on YouTube and having the spark plug against and around metal but again I'm no true mechanical I just play one out in the garage...this jeep has taken me from not know much more than an oil change to being able to work on every part and learn soooo much I never thought I would know but electrical is a pain!!! And obviously I learn everything the hard way...but yes we need to pool together check list for situations I like that idea!!!! I'm going to talk one of the super smart engineers in my office into doing that for us lol...I'm the a.d.h.d one but I get get their stuff built ...they can sit on the computer all day they can surely bang out a check list lol

You said you were a pipe hitter, electrical work is very similar, just flowing electrons instead of fluids and gasses. Gotta make sure everything moves from point a to point b, without leaking out anywhere in between. Think of relays and switches as valves... Not crossing up your wires is similar to system alignment etc... The battery voltage would be head pressure, the alternator is the pump filling up the batterys tank.

Reactions: Wildman
Your issues are well before the coil & spark plugs. Start with the relays that are powered by the ignition and work backward from there until you find something that does work.

Again I can't thank you guys enough!! Clearly I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but can be sharpened up and used as needed...necro I like the way you think!!! You are they type that is smart enough to sharpen the dull tool in the shed so he can be used!!! Thank you, and if I would have had this FSM from the beginning I would probly had it done by now...it's on tonight!!! I'm printing off the pages I need and going through it all tonight , I will get that bad boy fired up this weekend if it kills me!!! Thank you guys soooo much I super appreciate it!¡!!

Reactions: steelhd
Again I can't thank you guys enough!! Clearly I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but can be sharpened up and used as needed...necro I like the way you think!!! You are they type that is smart enough to sharpen the dull tool in the shed so he can be used!!! Thank you, and if I would have had this FSM from the beginning I would probly had it done by now...it's on tonight!!! I'm printing off the pages I need and going through it all tonight , I will get that bad boy fired up this weekend if it kills me!!! Thank you guys soooo much I super appreciate it!¡!!

Good luck man, and let us know how it turns out!

Well I have swapped out relays checked every damn fuse in the jeep hell even the fuse box I put in for lights and whatnot just because...After some failed attempts at starting it, I pulled the plugs and they were pretty dang wet , smelling like oily gas....so I'm assuming that means I'm getting fuel with no spar like I had thought, I'm calling it a night at that i gotta work at 5a.m. and it close to midnight her.but I guess it's reinspecting all the wires from the PCM to power distributor center to coil...and trying to figure out the multimeter ...do I need someone cranking it while checking with multimeter??? Or will it show Volts without cranking???

I'm going crazy , I missed tailgates and tall boy a mini Mudd fest around here, and I'm hoping not to miss the Mudd drags on Aug 22, they have a run what what you brung , and I have been talking alot of shhhh I can't miss that , plus I need to get it out of the garage , I want to get my lift on my xj and slap the 33s on it, yank the motor on my 05 yukon to rebuild for a rainy day, brakes on my wife 2020 yukon, and tint my work vehicle , the stranger is really slowing me down I gotta get this dialed in this weekend heeeeelp

I'm going crazy , I missed tailgates and tall boy a mini Mudd fest around here, and I'm hoping not to miss the Mudd drags on Aug 22, they have a run what what you brung , and I have been talking alot of shhhh I can't miss that , plus I need to get it out of the garage , I want to get my lift on my xj and slap the 33s on it, yank the motor on my 05 yukon to rebuild for a rainy day, brakes on my wife 2020 yukon, and tint my work vehicle , the stranger is really slowing me down I gotta get this dialed in this weekend heeeeelp

try making a list of everything that does work correctly, and another list of everything that isn't working correctly, and see how many of the don't works can be traced back to the same ckts, fuses, relays etc... Pick one thing, fix it. Pick another, fix that... check each item off the list nice and organised instead of jumping all over the place.

Reactions: hear
If I read your earlier post correctly you didn't have a FSM for your 1997 or a FSM for the 1998 wiring harness that you installed, is this correct?
If this is the case you need to go back and trace every wire that you had to splice and the ones you were not sure where they went.

Example: In doing the V-8 swap the IAC has a 3 wire plug and it's the same on the Jeep as it is on the Dodge V-8. But what is 5V + on the Jeep is Negative on the V-8. So you have to repin the plug to match the V-8. So while the wire color might be the same how it pugs into the sensor might be different. So you need to check all the wires.
And once you've traced all the wires if it still doesn't work then do as Necro suggested.

Reactions: Necro
Yea I have done most of the 97vs98 not everything tho, the other thing I'm wondering is if I have the 2 wires that go into the coil backwards possibly , it does show orientation or maybe I misses that I'm pulling it up at work right now to try to find that..but it sure seems I don't have spark and the + wire is the same as the injectors and if my spark plug had gas on them I would say it had power...but no spark, my coil is maaaaybe a year old but I don't even think that old

OK I have traced it down to not getting constant 12v to the coil the Grey wire traced back to the PCM A7 PIN, now I'm having a hard time figuring out where A7 gets its power...I have the key on but not activating the starter that should show 12v right the grey?? And once you turn key the activates the signal wire the gr/bk97. On 98 harness I have is or/gr. Where does the A7 get 12v from in the pds??

It's definitely not getting spark it's down to 2 wires the Grey and the used to be green/black now orange/ green and the same run of wires that runs my injectors run the coil the gr/bl now or/gr and they are spraying gas so why is this Grey wire not doing its job???

It's definitely not getting spark it's down to 2 wires the Grey and the used to be green/black now orange/ green and the same run of wires that runs my injectors run the coil the gr/bl now or/gr and they are spraying gas so why is this Grey wire not doing its job???

The ignition and fuel system is timing based. It might not stay hot at all times. I know there are other sensors that need to be all working correctly and sending a signal to wherever they go for whatever sends the signal to the injectors or spark plugs that it's time to pulse. That's why I don't recommend hop scotching all over the Jeep from place to place. Work in a logical progression. Battery>under hood fuse box>1 ckt at a time, then the next ckt, etc... Even if you get the wiring for the ignition 100% perfect, and the wiring for the fuel injection 100% perfect, if the crank position sensor, or cam sensor, or intake air, or throttle body, 02, or whatever else sensors might need to be right aren't right, then you wouldn't ever know by op testing weather you have the fuel/ignition wired up right because something else would be preventing it from functioning.

Reactions: hear