Wiring nightmare after small engine fire

I have went over everything, the Grey wire going into coil which is the pulsing ground isn't doing jack

Don’t have the diagram in front of me, but I guess the coils works via intermittent ground? That must be controlled by the PCM, no? And it knows when to fire the spark based on (possibly among other things) the crank & cam position sensors. Have you verified those are giving the right signal?

Are you certain the ASD is coming on when you crank? I BELIEVE it only shuts down the spark, not the fuel, but I could be wrong on that. The ASD is tricky because it shuts down 1.8 seconds later if you don’t start the vehicle.

+1 to everyone else who has recommended a more scientific systems-based troubleshooting approach. You changed a BUNCH of stuff and had a fire….you should suspect everything.

Reactions: Necro
O yea i have been taking it to the chin on this one...I just want my family back riding in it, hell our little fair In Our small town.. tonight... missing those nights in it so it hurts when it ain't rollin hoping for a hail mary here...thanks guys

Well found the problem....ME!!! I reused the connector to the coil and heat shrink the wires really good....so I took my coil out or off to test it and as in putting g the multimeter in there I was thinking dang those posts are way in there...and click it made me thing about that connector, so I grabbed it and sure as shhhh they were sunk in there just enough to not make contact ...the heat shrink was holding them back just a hair!!! So ye I'm an idiot!!! She fired right on up, buuuuuut she is running like poo and I can't figure that out but like I put in my other thread I built a new style header to the turbo since mine cracked so I'm wondering if that's why or maybe placement of the up stream O2??? Do I need to tune it with a new designed header would that cause it?? The weird part is I have a return style fuel system, fuel call, bigger fuel pump, fuel rail, 2 fuel pressure regs, and return, separate wire job, but it all ran fine for a year before the fire and new header, but when I kill power to pump it runs great until it runs out of fuel odddddd

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
I don't know jack about Jill when it comes to turbos & intakes & o2 sensors....but that last sentence is your smoking gun. You should get a video of that behavior.

it all ran fine for a year before the fire and new header, but when I kill power to pump it runs great until it runs out of fuel odddddd

If it runs better after you cut the fuel pressure, it sounds like it's running rich. Cutting the fuel pump off relieves the pressure, less pressure less fuel, better air to fuel ratio etc... but that's just me sitting on my couch without any real details. How are you tuning it? Electronically, or mechanically? Is your fuel pressure referenced off your boost pressure? How are you adjusting the timing etc? Maybe your new exhaust doesn't flow as well as the old version did and you're starving the engine for air.

I have the split second FTC1 tuner, it works freaking great ...it had a tune preset and I haven't touch one setting, I don't know enough to start all that, but hoping to learn soon..yes the fuel pressure has a boost reference for when your on boost it helps out giving more fuel, it's a mechanical spring and diaphragm I had it set right at 59.5 as factor calls for and it always ran great...I played with bigger injector and the 42lbs were too fun!!! But didn't come down and idle very well so I went back k to 36lbs and they are good for normal deiving and a little fun as well...times gets retard via the split second tuner as more boost comes on it takes timing out...I too am concerned with my header design but all these high HP turbo cars run that style so I was hoping it would work out ...I may just have too short of runners idk...I switched the wiring from my own rocker switch to the factory wires off pcm so maybe there was something there...Lil late to fire it up tonight but we will give it a whirl in the morning...thanks again to e everyone that has helped me I really do appreciate your time it's awesome some experience helping an idiot like myself out!!!

I have the split second FTC1 tuner, it works freaking great ...it had a tune preset and I haven't touch one setting, I don't know enough to start all that, but hoping to learn soon..yes the fuel pressure has a boost reference for when your on boost it helps out giving more fuel, it's a mechanical spring and diaphragm I had it set right at 59.5 as factor calls for and it always ran great...I played with bigger injector and the 42lbs were too fun!!! But didn't come down and idle very well so I went back k to 36lbs and they are good for normal deiving and a little fun as well...times gets retard via the split second tuner as more boost comes on it takes timing out...I too am concerned with my header design but all these high HP turbo cars run that style so I was hoping it would work out ...I may just have too short of runners idk...I switched the wiring from my own rocker switch to the factory wires off pcm so maybe there was something there...Lil late to fire it up tonight but we will give it a whirl in the morning...thanks again to e everyone that has helped me I really do appreciate your time it's awesome some experience helping an idiot like myself out!!!

How hard would it be to weld the crack shut on your old header and reinstall it temporarily for test and tune purposes? Maybe reinstall it and run it while you sort out the rest of your new wiring harness issues, then focus on remaking your new header. That way you know you're only tackling one problem at a time.

Yea that is my next move, I got my O2 sensor moved to eliminate that potential , if that isn't it then yes I saved the old header and will try that....just praying I didn't blow it up

Reactions: hear and Necro