Wiring Rock Lights

Karl

TJ Enthusiast
Hi all.
I got some rock lights for free as long as I review them. So I’ll give them a go.
I’m iffy with wiring. I have no extra lights wired in. Do I need to ground these? Can I put them into the fuse box or does it have to be right on to the battery? I’d rather send them into the fuse box. I think anything into the fuse box is grounded.
Anyway, there was only the two loops with a fuse in the wire line out of the Bluetooth control hub, as pictured.

Be gentle on me.

AD24D909-1212-4AA3-A709-B4A5310173E9.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Orange wire would go to the positive side of the battery, black to ground or negative on battery. There should be an inline fuse in that black tube. Is there a relay with the wiring harness, or is that it? If you are just doing a review, I would go straight to the battery and use a simple switch setup. If you are going to keep them long term, then I would put the work in to mount it the right way.

A picture of the rest of the wiring would be helpful.

Orange wire would go to the positive side of the battery, black to ground or negative on battery. There should be an inline fuse in that black tube. Is there a relay with the wiring harness, or is that it? If you are just doing a review, I would go straight to the battery and use a simple switch setup. If you are going to keep them long term, then I would put the work in to mount it the right way.

A picture of the rest of the wiring would be helpful.
Did a little homework. I guess red to the red bolt outside the fuse box then black to any part of the frame to ground it.
I’m definitely putting the work in

What’s the Bluetooth used for? ON-OFF, color control?

Have you put 12vdc to them yet? I’d do that and measure current draw as well. But regardless of the current I’d use a relay to minimize current through the in-cab switch.

Been thinking about adding rock lights. Are you ready to give more info on the set you’re evaluating?

Been thinking about adding rock lights. Are you ready to give more info on the set you’re evaluating?

Look on Amazon for outdoor sign LEDs. There are cheap and work the same as "rock lights" if you don't need blue tooth or changeable colors.

Reactions: DrDmoney
So there's no in cab switch. They are Blutooth to a remote, or to an app you download for your phone. I got them working, then parked my car and waited for dark. After dark I drove to the darkest spot I could find....nothing. They never turned back on. Still haven't. I disconnected and reconnected everything. Nothing. I know the blutooth signal is working cause it's also fucking with my radio station that I often listen to.

Probably going to rip it out tomorrow and throw it out. Over it.

• Sad
Reactions: TJ Starting
So there's no in cab switch. They are Blutooth to a remote, or to an app you download for your phone. I got them working, then parked my car and waited for dark. After dark I drove to the darkest spot I could find....nothing. They never turned back on. Still haven't. I disconnected and reconnected everything. Nothing. I know the blutooth signal is working cause it's also fucking with my radio station that I often listen to.

Probably going to rip it out tomorrow and throw it out. Over it.
Bluetooth shouldn't interfere with the radio station at all. The technologies are on way different parts of the spectrum. There's probably something else going on there.

Would there be any benefits with splitting up the ground wires? Talk about cable management...

The ground needs to carry the same amps as the positive wire. Each wire for my rock lights is good for about 3a in case I ever change which lights are at the ends. I could have used a single larger ground wire between the lights or put the grounds into the chassis closer to the lights. Another option would have been using a common positive wire between the lights off a single fuse but if one wire got pinched all of the lights would stop working until I fixed it. I ultimately decided that running separate grounds for each light was the cleanest and easiest to modify in the future. That said, I don't love how all of the grounds stacked from a visual perspective...

Reactions: Fouledplugs
For my rock lights I used a terminal block which I wired all positives to one side and all negatives to the strip on the other side.

Then I ran both wires from the terminal strip to my sPod.

Used the lux magnetic rock lights, extremely easy install.

Hardly use them but you should have seen the Harley riders face when he was cruising around with his effects lights on when I flipped the switch on mine, it was the 4th of July it had to be done.

this is the one I used

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055HOK7C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Big-Al and Karl
Mine are wired in series with 4 main zones. The lights branch off of a zone to make a cluster around each tire.

Bluetooth shouldn't interfere with the radio station at all. The technologies are on way different parts of the spectrum. There's probably something else going on there.
Well maybe it’s just the wiring itself and not the Bluetooth signal. But it’s directly correlated. And it’s only certain frequencies of radio station.