Wobbly Passenger Seat Solution

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
I'm on a mission to fix my tip and fold passenger seat. The original bushings are long gone, as well as the 3D-printed overpriced Etsy junk I tried in desperation. My plan is to find a metal spacer with the right ID and OD or get one made if it doesn't exist. I need the dimensions of the bolt below, though. Does anyone know the size of this bolt?

1683077486055.png

Reactions: TLT1964
Did you try the "stable Seat" replacement parts, is the that the Etsy seller your referring too? I used his kit a few years ago and it helped with the seat wobbles.

Did you try the "stable Seat" replacement parts, is the that the Etsy seller your referring too? I used his kit a few years ago and it helped with the seat wobbles.

My stable seat bushing lasted a little over a year before they cracked.

I did find some off-the-shelf nylon washers. Kind of hat-shaped or flange-head washer. The smaller diameter section was just the right size for the bushing part. The "flange" or "hat brim" was too thick. I took it to my grinder and took it down to about 1/16". Then used the original bolt. The other bushing, with that goes over the mushroom stud, I tried to cut a nylon bushing down and then press a larger one over it (in the style of stable seat) but it didn't work. Still have the stable seat deal on there.

Reactions: bkeith72
I too tried the Stableseat 3d printed bushings and they worked - for a few months. And then they broke. This is the best way that I have found to replace the seat bushings :

Solid like a rock and they slide forward and up as they should.

I too tried the Stableseat 3d printed bushings and they worked - for a few months. And then they broke. This is the best way that I have found to replace the seat bushings :

Solid like a rock and they slide forward and up as they should.

I second this!! There are 2 styles of base though. The older style doesn't use one of the pieces

Reactions: MikeE024
Am I the only one who doesn't have bushings on the seat and its NOT wobbly? Still tumbles forward and backward as it should etc...

@bkeith72 Bingo!

I followed the method in the video you shared with Hillman nylon washers and spacers. Just add a utility knife and super glue. The results are fantastic! Smooth tumble action and great stability. So far they have held up to daily driving, an 11-hour road trip and back, and 2 days of wheeling. The parts only cost about $4 from Lowe’s and there’s enough leftover to do the job again.

I pity the fool that pays $20+ for 30 cents worth of plastic filament. The 3D printed solutions are trash and should stop being recommended.

My original idea was a metal spacer, which would have been stiffer and may hold up longer, but would cost more and not slide well. FWIW, I never found a spacer with the right combination of ID, OD, and length.

image.jpg

Reactions: bkeith72
@bkeith72 Bingo!

I followed the method in the video you shared with Hillman nylon washers and spacers. Just add a utility knife and super glue. The results are fantastic! Smooth tumble action and great stability. So far they have held up to daily driving, an 11-hour road trip and back, and 2 days of wheeling. The parts only cost about $4 from Lowe’s and there’s enough leftover to do the job again.

I pity the fool that pays $20+ for 30 cents worth of plastic filament. The 3D printed solutions are trash and should stop being recommended.

My original idea was a metal spacer, which would have been stiffer and may hold up longer, but would cost more and not slide well. FWIW, I never found a spacer with the right combination of ID, OD, and length.

View attachment 432692

Thanks for the post. I'll need to address this at some point.