Wondering about tire chains

Vulture

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, we just had a bunch of 0-degF temps, thick coating of ice and then about 4 inches of snow. The powers that be have decided to save money and not plow the roads, or spread salt ( Hurray!!!!!!) or sand. This has prompted me to inquire of the vast pool of knowledge in the Forum community about tire chains. I took a look around the internet and there is a bewildering array of chains; V-bar chains, cable chains, block chains, diamond shaped chains, chains that look a bit like tank treads, etc. All of them claiming (of course) to be the finest thing ever invented for making your way through the winter conditions. I have excellent snow tires on the TJ but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. I would appreciate anyone who has personal experience with tire chains to please reply with whatever experience, knowledge and sage advice you might have on what you like and dislike about your chains and if you have any recommendations on what chains are preferred. Thanks in advance!!!!!

So, we just had a bunch of 0-degF temps, tThanks in advance!!!!!
Vulture. If you still need a chain for your TJ, you need to trade it in for a hummer for you do not need a TJ.
Personally, I have never seen a TJ using a chain on winter. I had KO2 back in Chicago, and I did just fine :) and I know you will too!

hhh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I wasn't clear when I posted my question. Just to be clear, I've driven for about 50 years in the snow and ice and sleet and freezing rain and drifts and frozen mud and cold temps so I'm not really inexperienced at it. I'm not asking anyone to advise me on IF i need chains. I'm respectfully asking those who have experience with chains to forward their first-hand knowledge and recommendations on the topic. You're right though, the TJ is absolutely amazing in the crap. There are limits though and I've reached them. By the way, I'd dearly love to have a real Hummer (not the fake Chevy "hummer"). Around here though, they won't fit between the trees and won't really make the tight turns. It's awesome that the one on the pic is a K9 unit!!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The only tire chain experience I have is on my garden tractor for removing snow. They are not legal in Michigan, so I've never driven a chained car. I do know some of the terminology though, and for a TJ, I'd get get some 4-link Ladder style. You just need a little bit of help. If you have REALLY knobby tires, then you might need some sort of diamond pattern to keep the cross chains from falling into the lugs.

Reactions: alittleoff
So, we just had a bunch of 0-degF temps, thick coating of ice and then about 4 inches of snow. The powers that be have decided to save money and not plow the roads, or spread salt ( Hurray!!!!!!) or sand. This has prompted me to inquire of the vast pool of knowledge in the Forum community about tire chains. I took a look around the internet and there is a bewildering array of chains; V-bar chains, cable chains, block chains, diamond shaped chains, chains that look a bit like tank treads, etc. All of them claiming (of course) to be the finest thing ever invented for making your way through the winter conditions. I have excellent snow tires on the TJ but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. I would appreciate anyone who has personal experience with tire chains to please reply with whatever experience, knowledge and sage advice you might have on what you like and dislike about your chains and if you have any recommendations on what chains are preferred. Thanks in advance!!!!!
I've run chains on my TJ. I wouldn't recommend it, unless it's stock or almost stock. Use a diamond pattern chain, keep them TIGHT and go slow. The problem isn't the chains so much as the clearances in the front suspension. It's very easy to get into the lower control arms and the sway bar ends. There's another axle part under there as well that likes to get tangled up, but it escapes me at the moment. Enough wheel backspacing to get the tire and chain to clear is critical. I'll only use them now if I have to and I'm not going very far. Black ice only, or freezing rain.

A skinny tire on a wheel with 3-1/2" of backspacing might work, but I'd still take it easy.

As usual, every TJ and situation is different, so use your own best judgement. Test fit and cycle the suspension before you head out on the road.

Sorry for the slow reply! Thanks very much for the comments, I'm gonna get a set and give them a try. I've got stock tire size and a 2.5 OME lift so hopefully clearance issues will be minimal. Thanks again everyone.

I had tire chains back when I was up in Rochester, NY cuz they get some crazy snow. My rig didn't have 4x4 (4x2 Dodge Dakota) but I had a locker and ran tire chains back there. The traction was insane and I actually went further than some open diff 4x4's. Of course tire chains can't get you through everything...

PIC00013.JPG
PIC00009.jpg

I'm respectfully asking those who have experience with chains to forward their first-hand knowledge and recommendations on the topic. !

I seriously want to discourage you on this.
There are some front tire fitments gone bad and yanked everything and gutted it all out with it.

Reactions: StG58
Thanks for your concern but I don't need discouragement, I need good information so I can make intelligent decisions and avoid the problems others may have had with chains. Truthfully, it just can't be all that hard since many many states have laws that require the use of chains and so there are thousands and thousands of vehicles out there that must use them every winter. I'm looking to find out if folks have a preference in the type of chain design/mounting/tensioning/etc in the many designs available. I'm pretty sure I can determine if there will be any clearance problems and I'm aware of the severe damage that can occur from improperly mounted chains or from driving too fast and having them turn into a metal shredder. Thanks again everyone for your input!!

Also, Ahoragi,...nice shot of your stuck truck!! My neighbors are mudders and would have aimed for the worst part of your mud hole on purpose just to see how deep they could get. I hope you got out without too much hassle.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Vulture--AM General (division of Chevy) made the HMMWV. I have worked on these POS for over 20 yrs now. I would never have a Hummer even if it was given to me. There only real quality is the Torque-Bias Differential. Its a brake modulated locker. Works great but with the weight of the stupid thing, I will gladly take my CJ2A over a hmmwv any day! Just my two cents...

Thanks for your concern but I don't need discouragement, I need good information so I can make intelligent decisions and avoid the problems others may have had with chains. Truthfully, it just can't be all that hard since many many states have laws that require the use of chains and so there are thousands and thousands of vehicles out there that must use them every winter. I'm looking to find out if folks have a preference in the type of chain design/mounting/tensioning/etc in the many designs available. I'm pretty sure I can determine if there will be any clearance problems and I'm aware of the severe damage that can occur from improperly mounted chains or from driving too fast and having them turn into a metal shredder. Thanks again everyone for your input!!

Also, Ahoragi,...nice shot of your stuck truck!! My neighbors are mudders and would have aimed for the worst part of your mud hole on purpose just to see how deep they could get. I hope you got out without too much hassle.

Well then, good luck!

I bought some chains for my 31’s from Orileys for a Donner Pass winter drive I do. Went up to 32’s and the chains still fit. Stay away from cables. I use my chains anytime I go up in the mountains in to the snow Cause well i have them. And they don’t do any good under your seat. The stories of torn up wranglers from chains is ppl not hooking them up correctly

I bought some chains for my 31’s from Orileys for a Donner Pass winter drive I do. Went up to 32’s and the chains still fit. Stay away from cables. I use my chains anytime I go up in the mountains in to the snow Cause well i have them. And they don’t do any good under your seat. The stories of torn up wranglers from chains is ppl not hooking them up correctly
..and driving to fast with chains on the front...

On pavement, fresh snow on top of solid ice is bad on flat ground and even worse on mountain roads. During the rare R-3 chain control conditions here in So Cal. I chain up the front with a diamond style chain and lower my tire pressure a few pounds. With the chains on the front, you have brakes, steering and acceleration to help you avoid accidents. And when off road and conditions exist, I'll put the diamonds on the front and my ladder type ice breakers on the rear.
As far as advice, diamond style is a lot less jarring and smoother than ladder type chains and they provide better lateral control in turns and off camber situations.
Speed. How slow is too slow or how fast is too fast. Creeping in traffic is one thing. In moving traffic, no more than 25 mph is what I do. And that is with very tight chains that have spider type rubber bungees on them.
Before I retired from operating heavy equipment, our Cat loaders would have heavy duty diamond style chains and the Cat graders would have diamond style on the front and ladder type on the rear tandems.
And as you know but others might not, once installed, drive a few feet back & forth and then readjust to tighten them up. Less likely to break a link.
I hope you and others can get something out of this ramble.

Reactions: warmseth and StG58