Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

Here’s what I found for weights

Curb Weight
3,200 lbs. (1467 kg) - SE
3,438 lbs. (1545 kg) - X
3,539 lbs. (1565 kg) - Sport
3,832 lbs. (1686 kg) - Rubicon

Wow. At 3900# w/ gas and recovery gear I’m 68# over a stock Rubicon? With a winch, armor, Atlas and beadlocked 35s? Those Dana 44 center sections must be heavy.

Wow. At 3900# w/ gas and recovery gear I’m 68# over a stock Rubicon? With a winch, armor, Atlas and beadlocked 35s? Those Dana 44 center sections must be heavy.

Did you use a certified scale? The scales at the dump and quarries don't need to have an accurate zero. Just tell the before and after difference

Reactions: Woodrow
Did you use a certified scale? The scales at the dump and quarries don't need to have an accurate zero. Just tell the before and after difference

Not sure about certification. However, I did get a weight at 2 scales on the same day (an ODOT scale on the side of Hwy 42 and at a metal recycling place locally). They both read 3900# 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
A purely for looks addition:
When I got the Savvy tailgate skin recently, I also got their valance. However, I didn’t like the big gaps it would have left and the pre-drilled screw holes didn’t match the way I had decided to drill the tailgate.

So, I went to the local metal outlet and they cut me a piece of 3/16” 6061 aluminum to my specifications. They did it perfectly. Here is the Savvy piece on top of the new one to show the size difference:
FullSizeRender.jpeg

And here is the custom panel installed:
FullSizeRender.jpeg
The Savvy part is actually about 1/8 narrower than their tailgate skin and about 1/4” less than the height of the one I had cut. Now at some point, I need to fix the butt crack which actually has an advantage beyond looks; raising the rear of the tank 1 1/4”.

When I got the Savvy tailgate skin recently, I also got their valance. However, I didn’t like the big gaps it would have left and the pre-drilled screw holes didn’t match the way I had decided to drill the tailgate.

So, I went to the local metal outlet and they cut me a piece of 3/16” 6061 aluminum to my specifications. They did it perfectly. Here is the Savvy piece on top of the new one to show the size difference:
View attachment 531474
View attachment 531475The Savvy part is actually about 1/8 narrower than their tailgate skin and about 1/4” less than the height of the one I had cut. Now at some point, I need to fix the butt crack which actually has an advantage beyond looks; raising the rear of the tank 1 1/4”.

Lookin good, it’s the little details that make the biggest impact!

Reactions: Woodrow

View attachment 531474
View attachment 531475The Savvy part is actually about 1/8 narrower than their tailgate skin and about 1/4” less than the height of the one I had cut. Now at some point, I need to fix the butt crack which actually has an advantage beyond looks; raising the rear of the tank 1 1/4”.

I know what you are saying about "Just for Looks" Woods, but I disagree. I pride myself on never having done anything to the rig for looks alone, but that doesn't mean that I don't take the time to make every functional project look as good as it can. To me, that valance is just the completion of your corner guard project - and that is certainly functional.

Nice work, Brother.

I know what you are saying about "Just for Looks" Woods, but I disagree. I pride myself on never having done anything to the rig for looks alone, but that doesn't mean that I don't take the time to make every functional project look as good as it can. To me, that valance is just the completion of your corner guard project - and that is certainly functional.

Nice work, Brother.

Thanks, man. Like you and a bunch of folks here, I think functional is cool especially if elegantly done, e.g. strength without weight, effective yet clean and simple…
As I sit here and think about it, there are many examples we commonly see here like triangulated 4-link rear control arms, the Swayloc and now using the empty spots in your PDC for aux circuits that you and @Blackjack just mentioned in his build thread to name a few.