Zvoiture

Supporting Member
Bought a '98 4l auto with 100k that had been sitting for 10 years as a gift for my girlfriend. After a couple weeks of scrubbing, removing aftermarket wiring and typical fluid changes and general house-keeping, sent it to the Jeep 'ship for a few items I didn't feel comfortable with, including a full tranny flush/filter/coveroff service. I know basically how autos *work* but never been inside one or built or modified a vehicle with one before. All the autos I've owned have been German, which are basically sealed, so I'm kinda on new soil here.
When the truck came back, I continued the house-keeping, including removal of the poorly-installed auxiliary cooler and associated hoses with bad clamps. The way this Barbie-mobile will be driven, the factory cooler will be entirely sufficient and even probably healthier for trans temps. I did it cold, and the entire assembly was basically dry--maybe 2 or 3 ounces of ATF came out. I knew at this point the tranny was probably over-filled when circulating, but let her drive it the next day. When she came home, it was leaking bad from the bell-housing. (first question: A. would an over-filled auto leak our the bell-housing? I would think it would expell through the breather.)
I checked it (yes, hot and idling) and it was WAY up into the wording, far above the zig-zags. I removed 8 ounces and let her take it the next day. It came home leaking less, but still. Removed another 4oz, still way hi, and dipstick foamy. I have removed 4 ounces a day since last Tuesday (my brake bleeder holds 4 ounces), so am now up to 40 ounces taken out. The level is now at the base of the zig-zags, still a good half-inch above the HIGH-LOW hashes. The last several I have removed withe the engine running, and the fluid is COMPLETELY saturated with bubbles. (second question: B. is this a sign of cavitation from parts rotating through the reservoir?) and ?3: C. is the suspended air damaging to the valve-body or affect performance?)
As a mental clarifier, I filled the removed hoses and cooler with water and it barely held 8 ounces. I was starting to get worried about wrong dipstick maybe? or starving it. The leaking has stopped and checking specs, I see this thing holds EIGHT QUARTS of atf. Holy crap that's a lot of fluid! So now I feel comfortable I can remove probably nearly another quart to get it down to the "HIGH" portion of the checkering.
I guess at this point, my main shock is HOW could the dealership over-fill it so ridiculously? Or am I doing something wrong?

Filling it from dry your 32RH automatic transmission system holds nearly 7 quarts of ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct. Its ATF level can ONLY be checked with its dipstick while the engine is running at idle rpms and the transmission MUST be in Neutral, not Park.

Its dipstick will show a higher than accurate ATF level if the transmission is not in Neutral or if the engine is not running. It should be all the way up to the full mark, it's better to be slightly overfilled than underfilled.

And a hearty welcome to WTF! :)

OMG what a bonehead move. So glad I asked. Like I said, I hate autos--WAY too much voodoo going on in there, man. In building DOZENS of cars I have never checked the fluid level on an auto in my life. I just glossed over the "in Neutral" part--never guessing it didn't circulate in PARK. Thank you so much.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
OMG what a bonehead move. So glad I asked. Like I said, I hate autos--WAY too much voodoo going on in there, man. In building DOZENS of cars I have never checked the fluid level on an auto in my life. I just glossed over the "in Neutral" part--never guessing it didn't circulate in PARK. Thank you so much.
2003 and newer automatics circulate the ATF in Park and Neutral, it's 2002 and older that need to be in Neutral during the ATF level check. :)

Reactions: Zvoiture
P.S. Your 32RH automatic is one of the best to have ever come out of Detroit, seriously. I converted my previous TJ to a 32RH, it's an awesome transmission for things like rock crawling. Just make sure to run nothing but ATF+4 in it. Nope, not even Mobil-1 ATF is correct. :)

Filling it from dry your 32RH automatic transmission system holds nearly 7 quarts of ATF+4, no other type of ATF is correct. Its ATF level can ONLY be checked with its dipstick while the engine is running at idle rpms and the transmission MUST be in Neutral, not Park.

Its dipstick will show a higher than accurate ATF level if the transmission is not in Neutral or if the engine is not running. It should be all the way up to the full mark, it's better to be slightly overfilled than underfilled.

And a hearty welcome to WTJF! :)
FIFY

What happens if you run non atf+4? Say….Valvoline Maxlife Multivehicle ATF? I’m running that in all my other cars and sure would be nice not to have a specific fluid for the Jeep.

I thought the torqueflight 904 was just another name for the 30RH, which shares a ton of parts with the 32RH, so maybe the only surprising thing here is that you used type F?

https://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/torqueflite-90430rh-99932rh/
Yeah, the dextron was slushy so I went to type F and it firmed up the shifts, there is not really any differences between the 30RH and the 32 except for a few minor things...I also have a 727 from a mid 80's Grand Cherokee, the tailshaft housings interchange between the 904 and 727 in a jeep 4x4 application. YMMV, Tim