Would you drive it?

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
I can remember back in the 80's one of the 4WD mags doing a spread on a Corvette that someone had done like this. I realize it might not be practical but DAMN I'd sure the heck drive it.

1604148981381.jpg

I saw something similar back in Oregon, but it was an old Challenger on 40s 🤣

@Squatch loves these things.

A few years ago I found a Opel GT that was mounted on a CJ frame. It was out in the midwest and I almost drove out there to buy it. I think it would have been a fun toy.

Yes I like these oddball rigs and if I had the money and time I'd build one. I've also always like the 4x4 vans. They were very popular out on the east coasts. I worked at a 4x4 shop on weekends when I was stationed out in MD and the owner had a Ford van on 38" tires.

A few years ago I found a Opel GT that was mounted on a CJ frame. It was out in the midwest and I almost drove out there to buy it. I think it would have been a fun toy.

Yes I like these oddball rigs and if I had the money and time I'd build one. I've also always like the 4x4 vans. They were very popular out on the east coasts. I worked at a 4x4 shop on weekends when I was stationed out in MD and the owner had a Ford van on 38" tires.

I think just about anything on big tires like that would be fun for off-roading. I mean think about all the looks you’d get.

Funny you would bring up an Opel GT. When I was living in New York in the early '80s, there was an absolutely beautifully done black Opel GT. It was sitting on a Jeepster (Commando) frame. This thing even had the wheel wells enlarged to accommodate the bigger tires, all while maintaining a factory look. The guy who built it owned a body shop. The guy that I met (new owner) had traded his two year old Corvette straight across for the Opel. It was truly a beautiful ride.

I think if ya put big tires on most anything, us guys would dig it. You know, “monster truck” some ride and we’re all ready to take it out and thrash it!

I’d drive it, or any other wild rides they’d let me. Why not?

Reactions: Daron and Wildman
Yea, I'd probably drive it. I'm not much on stingray Corevettes, but that particular body is my favorite among them (C3?).

That's an early C3, mid 70's. They went to a fastback at some point, late 70's early 80's I think.

I generally don't care for that type of conversion but it looks like it was well done.

Reactions: Daron and Wildman
That's an early C3, mid 70's. They went to a fastback at some point, late 70's early 80's I think.

I generally don't care for that type of conversion but it looks like it was well done.

1982 had cross fire injection (EFI) & and special addition model had a frameless lifting rear window.
1978 is when they went to the fastback.
1975 was the last year of the 454 big block
1974 last you without a catalytic converter
1973 had a metal rear bumper only
1972 last year of metal bumpers
1970 big block went from the 427 to the 454

I had a 1976 Corvette for a while. I'd love to have another one but owning another seasonal vehicle just doesn't make sense to me right now. Plus I don't know how well I could get into and out of it. Plus trying to drive it with my prosthetic?

That Corvette is pretty cool.

I know FB sucks and many of us just stay way. I probably should. I don't particularly like most of it but there are some things worth seeing. This is one of them and I am so tempted to buy it.
View attachment 200156
A guy in the jeep club built one like this for his daughter 20+ years ago. I never saw it but heard it was fun to drive

40 years ago someone who lived on my Grandma's street in Wisconsin had a 4wd Camaro with probably 35's or bigger on it. It was always intriguing but I dont think I would drive it much.

Reactions: Wildman