Would you own a JK/JL instead of a TJ, if money was not an issue?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey!

I am asking myself this question almost daily. When I see a JK, or a JL I am wondering if I would like to own one of those Wranglers instead of my TJ. For me the question is always no.

So, let's say hypothetically someone offers you a brand new JK or JL. For free. BUT there is a catch. You cannot own a TJ at the same time. Would you do it?

Personally, I would sell it to fund my TJ build.

What would you do?

Currently own a jk rubicon and my TJ SE

the TJ is so much better for me. Too many niceties about the JK.

one of the funny things you don’t think about. You lose that tub feeling when doors off. The JK/JL does not have a tub. Didn’t think it would bother me as much as it does.

Reactions: Scout734
My wife had a JK. Totally different rig with the 15 years of difference. It was better for her because she is not one to tinker and loved the dependability of anewer vehicle.

I enjoyed driving it, but wouldnt choose to trade. Overall the JK interiors feel more plasticky (but that might just be my own nostalga for 90s vehicle asthetics).

I did like the convenience and reduced road noise of her hard top with "freedom panels" over my softtop on long road trips and on the highway. But with the top fully down on my TJ and cruising around locally there is no comparison... and I have a newer pickup truck for road trips with the family.

If it was my only rig, and I had to regularly go on long highway drives.. I might trade for a JL just for the dependency and modern highway-driving tech... but then again, that's not what my TJ is for.

If someone gave me similarly as capable as mine, I would be tempted by a 4-door (only because my wife regularly complains about the 2 door). But ultimately I would stick with the LJ. I like that I can pretty easily work on any part I may need or want to and am getting to know it more and more where I don't feel uncomfortable doing any of the work. I have all the creature comforts I need and think the TJ/LJ platform is all around better.

I have both a JLUR and a TJR. I need the JLUR for taking both dogs places, grocery trips, hardware store and plant nursery and feed store trips, my bike fits in the back, when family and friends visit we all fit for going off road, etc. But if I could only keep one I'd definitely keep my TJ because I just plain love it and will never part with it. I could always use a different large SUV in place of the JL but it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Reactions: alaskajohn
I have a 2015 jk and a 2004 tj. Out of three vehicles the tj is driven the most around town. The jk is next on longer trips. (400+ miles). The Audi for long trips. The tj is by far the most driven and the most fun to drive. More miles are put on the tj than the other two combined even though they do the long distance drives!! So that’s my opinion. 😃

Reactions: fourpointzero
The TJ has more electronics than I wanted but I wanted the coil springs. I actually considered tracking down a CJ7 (the Jeep that made me want a Jeep) and doing a coil spring conversion.
In the end I decided that having something I could drive now instead of another project was the way to go

Nope. If I wanted one I could make that happen pretty easily, but I dont want one.

I like the TJ as it's the last Jeep true to its roots. The newer ones definitely have their place, and I love seeing so many people driving and enjoying them, but they're not for me.

The TJ has more electronics than I wanted but I wanted the coil springs. I actually considered tracking down a CJ7 (the Jeep that made me want a Jeep) and doing a coil spring conversion.
In the end I decided that having something I could drive now instead of another project was the way to go
Pretty much this. I'm too old for big projects anymore.

OK, I will be the odd man out. If I could go back knowing what I know now, yes, I would buy a JK. I would like to have had a rebuilt title, 3.6l, rubicon to start with and saved myself several steps in the shop. To me the only plus I have with the TJ is size, they are nimble in the woods.

Flame suit on, bring on the hate. 😂

I’ve owned a 1986 CJ7, a 2002 TJ, a 2008 JK, and I’m back into a 2006 TJ. For comfort no doubt the JK was best, however you see I am back in a TJ. It’s just more of a JEEP to me. Love the 4.0.

• Love
Reactions: TJim
OK, I will be the odd man out. If I could go back knowing what I know now, yes, I would buy a JK. I would like to have had a rebuilt title, 3.6l, rubicon to start with and saved myself several steps in the shop. To me the only plus I have with the TJ is size, they are nimble in the woods.

Flame suit on, bring on the hate. 😂

The angry face looked like the closest to hate, which I really wasn't looking for anyway. You did admit you have the flame suit on so how about this? 🔥 🔥 🔥

As for the TJ/JK issue, not knowing too much about current Jeeps since selling my CJ5 20+ years ago, I test drove a JK and it seemed like a decent used "car". Fortunately I was lucky enough to test drive a couple TJs and found out how much more Jeep-like they were. I owned my TJR for 2 yrs when the wife decided she "needed" a Jeep. Thankfully she knew better than than forcing a sale of the TJR and she bought a 2017 JK 2 door. The TJ goes off road. The JK is a smoother riding, longer distance driving summer time vehicle. Somehow we're both happy with both of them.

Nope. The TJ is smaller, lighter, more nimble and simple, plus I just couldn't justify the cost of the newer models for a third vehicle/ weekend toy.

Oddly enough, I'm in the process of replacing my DD, trying to finalize a deal on a Grand Cherokee. Sat in both a new JL and Gladiator the other day and while they're very nice, I was shocked how little room there is for the driver.

The TJ isn't exactly spacious, but it seems more accommodating than the newer jeeps. With the seats slid all the way back to accommodate the legs and in their lowest position, my head was hitting the roll bar in both the JL and Gladiator. I'm 6'3, so not small, but I'm not 7' tall either. Very surprising.

I've had my 2013 JK for about 3 years and picked up an 06 Rubicon last August. As soon as I got the TJ, I handed the keys to the JK to the fiancé. She prefers the creature comforts of the newer rig and I appreciate the simple-ness of the TJ. It was a win/win. Neither one are daily drivers for either of us, but they are the preferred mode of transportation. Both are still a work in progress, but I've had more fun working on the TJ and always seem to have a smile on my face when I'm driving it.