Would you own a JK/JL instead of a TJ, if money was not an issue?

Before I had my TJ, I wouldn’t have considered a newer Jeep than a 2006 for price only. Didn’t know anything about JK’s, didn’t wanna know.

And now that I’ve had my TJ for a little over a year, and learned a lot more about JK’s and the other newer models, I definitely prefer the TJ.

So, you couldn’t give me a JK. And that’s with me having spent enough money buying and modifying my TJ that I could have bought a JK.

I guess that makes me a TJ snob! 🤣

Reactions: Kon
I would not get rid of my TJ to get a 2 door JK/JL, or any other 4-door offroader for that matter. That 392 Rubicon made me consider selling my TJ to get it, but I still couldn't. TJ stays.

Reactions: Tomcat and TJim
I would never give up my Tj. My wife just got JLU. It is nice. It has a bunch of cool features. The best part she has started to come more interested in Jeep now.

Would you own a JK/JL instead of a TJ, if money was not an issue?
200.gif

Our middle son just got a used JKU to take our grand kids out with the front top off, and just enjoy some cruising around. While it is a nice ride, and my wife and I have had discussions, she would need to sell her Hemi powered Grand Cherokee to get a JKU. As already stated, for tooling around town, crawling through the woods, ease of working on it, I'll be keeping my TJ. Even if offered a newer free one.

Hey!

I am asking myself this question almost daily. When I see a JK, or a JL I am wondering if I would like to own one of those Wranglers instead of my TJ. For me the question is always no.

So, let's say hypothetically someone offers you a brand new JK or JL. For free. BUT there is a catch. You cannot own a TJ at the same time. Would you do it?

Personally, I would sell it to fund my TJ build.

What would you do?
If I’m able to option it the way I want, easy. Yes!!!!!

A new 2dr jlr 3.6, 6spd, with half doors FOR FREE. If you got tired of it, or just didn’t like it. You could always sell it & get 3 of 4 tj’s/lj’s.
This is assuming your tj/lj doesn’t have sentimental value to you. Originally owned by a lost loved one, first date with your wife & so on.

Reactions: Ron505
I'd get a JT to tow my TJ.
I have a bud who got a JT Sport "Max Tow" (which I think has the same axles as the Rubi) and he said he likes it for pulling his small popup and utility trailer (usually tows his UTV). He told me recently that he helped a friend move a car hauler loaded up with some steel tube for a project and it was god awful and only ~1/2 of the rated capacity. I've seen other opinions essentially saying the same thing. If towing a TJ was on my list of stuff to do with any sort of regularity, it would damn sure be a proper pick-up truck (especially with the $55,000 sticker!).

I have a bud who got a JT Sport "Max Tow" (which I think has the same axles as the Rubi) and he said he likes it for pulling his small popup and utility trailer (usually tows his UTV). He told me recently that he helped a friend move a car hauler loaded up with some steel tube for a project and it was god awful and only ~1/2 of the rated capacity. I've seen other opinions essentially saying the same thing. If towing a TJ was on my list of stuff to do with any sort of regularity, it would damn sure be a proper pick-up truck (especially with the $55,000 sticker!).

Interesting, don't get me wrong I would get a real truck as well if I was planning on getting something to tow my TJ. I just figured this was a hypothetical with a free JK/JL/JT up for grabs.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
I would own a JK or JL in addition to the TJ, but not instead of. The TJ is the most special vehicle (to me) that I have owned and I’ve owned around 60 vehicles.

Thats why I’m still collecting (hoarding) OEM replacement parts (sensors, cooling system, fuel, interior, etc) so I can keep it going until I’m no longer going ( I’m 55)...

My sister in law & her husband met us in Moab last week, rented a JL Rubi with a 2" lift & 35s. My kids left the TJ for about an hour to ride with them, at the next stop they said they wanted back in the TJ because they like having no doors.

Then we switched drivers, I drove that thing for about 30 mins through some trails & was just blown away with the ride quality. The thing just walked over everything, it was nice & smooth & quiet but I was looking forward to getting back in my own rig. My wife tried it too, she said "this reminds me of my Lexus, it's weird for taking off-road".

At the end of the day the fam was happy to be back in the TJ, so I'm going to pass on the JL.

I have a TJ and a JKUR. The JK to is great for all 4 of us to ride around in, but I smile more in the TJ. My kids like the TJ better, too.

Reactions: RFAASRMA
Hey!

I am asking myself this question almost daily. When I see a JK, or a JL I am wondering if I would like to own one of those Wranglers instead of my TJ. For me the question is always no.
I had been asking myself the same question quite often.

From a logical standpoint, being in Greece with a ~20yrs old TJ that I daily drive sure makes you wonder about parts availability in the future, gas prices (mine’s a 4.0 auto) and tax.

Btw, here annual road tax is linked to engine size! It’s crazy if you think about that you pay more for a 4L TJ than say a 3.6L Ferrari! 🤯 (It’s a Greek think, you wouldn’t understand...)

It was the diesel JK that was the potential competitor for me that would be a better choice in all the above categories, but simply put I couldn’t sell my TJ.

I guess in the end it’s the sentimental standpoint that dominated the logical one. 🙂

Staying semi on-topic, I was chatting with a fellow gearhead tonight at work about new cars. The question that came up was what vehicle would you be truly excited to have if someone gave you $100k with the catch that it had to be a 2021 model?

Neither of us could come up with anything.

The guy I was talking to is into big-body performance cars & old trucks - he has a '97 Impala, a Mercury Marauder, and a C-10, all of which with considerable work put into them. I'm kinda all over the map, I like 90's Bimmers, old weird stuff, & obviously TJs.

We thought about it for quite awhile, and the only thing we could come up with is a fully loaded diesel truck that could pull a gooseneck carrier in complete comfort to go get other cool older cars.

Reactions: TJim
The jk's rubbed me the wrong way from day one, took me a few years to figure out why. Ostensibly, the jk is seriously a very sensible car; 4 door, better room for the kids, better mpg, more cargo room, power windows, power door locks.................and there's the problem!

Jeeps weren't meant to be sensible, IMHO they were kinda meant to be the opposite, and that's what gave them their charm. The jk is a fine car, but its not a fine jeep, sorry (not sorry). You can bury me in my Lj.