Wrangler Competitors

cjaama

TJ Enthusiast
I’m not sure whether this has been discussed or not, but I’ve mulled it over plenty…

I was reading through the thread “what would you own, if not a Wrangler” and it made me question why other companies don’t bother to compete with the Wrangler. I know other companies have tried (Tracker, Samarai, etc), but these seemed like feeble attempts. Toyota came out with the FJ Cruiser and they didn’t sell a billion, but they had a nice cult following and are still in high demand. You’re telling me Toyota couldn’t build something more resembling the convertible FJ that could potentially be more reliable and maybe even cooler than the Wrangler?

I’m sure there’s a good reason why other companies don’t, I just can’t come up with any.

Reactions: Chris
There honestly is no competition for the Wrangler, none whatsoever. I think this is one of the reasons Jeep dominates. If Toyota for instance was to make a vehicle similar to the Wrangler (removable doors, removable top, solid axles, etc.), I know that then Jeep would really have some tough competition.

Why on earth no one has tried to compete is beyond me. The sales for the JK Wranglers alone have been one of the main things keeping Fiat Chrysler alive. They sell so many of those things it's crazy.

I'm perplexed by why there is no competition. The Samurai and the Tracker are the only other comparable vehicles I can think of, but those didn't last long.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I think outside of the US the Land Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser are more popular than the Jeep even though both of their origins are based on the original Willy's specs.

I have personally owned a Suzuki Samurai and it was a phenomenal 4x4 during my high school days in the early 90. I couldn't a Jeep so I opted for the Samy.

I think outside of the US the Land Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser are more popular than the Jeep

No argument there. The Jeep Wrangler seems to enjoy massive success here in the U.S., but I think Land Rovers and Land Cruisers are the off-road vehicle of choice in the rest of the world.

That may be slowly changing with the JKs and the JLs though, as more countries are starting to get them.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I think outside of the US the Land Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser are more popular than the Jeep even though both of their origins are based on the original Willy's specs.

I have personally owned a Suzuki Samurai and it was a phenomenal 4x4 during my high school days in the early 90. I couldn't a Jeep so I opted for the Samy.
That's the crux of it right there. Off road vehicles like the Jeep are pretty regional. Think Africa and it's the Land Rover. Asia, Australia and the middle east, it's Land Cruiser, Europe and it's the Gelandewagon. In North America, it's Jeep.

Most of that is probably the demographics of the people who buy them and the rest is parts and service availability. Until recently off road vehicles were a small minority of what is on the road.

As a sidebar, I'd like to point out who has owned the Jeep name/product throughout the years:

Does make you wonder who will be next?
Imagine Toyota owning it...... (shudder)

Ahhh, but Fiat owns Chrysler now.

The Wranglers are a massive success for Fiat Chrysler. I read an article the other day saying that the Wrangler is largely one of the main reasons why Fiat Chrysler manages to do well. Without the Wrangler, they wouldn't be nearly as well off.

Reactions: Squatch
Ahhh, but Fiat owns Chrysler now.

The Wranglers are a massive success for Fiat Chrysler. I read an article the other day saying that the Wrangler is largely one of the main reasons why Fiat Chrysler manages to do well. Without the Wrangler, they wouldn't be nearly as well off.
I was going to add that (the Fiat factor), but figured Jeep is still under the Chrysler umbrella. But using the approach you mentioned, you could then point out that Renault was the majority shareholder of AMC in '86, so they "technically" owned Jeep. And in '98 to '07, Daimler owned Chrysler, so...
Each one of the purchases, starting with AMC, at least, was with the intent of reaping the benefits of the Jeep brand. Lee Iacocca as much as said that Jeep was the only reason for Chrysler buying out AMC.
Man, what a family tree the Wrangler has, no?

I always said the Mercedes G class should come with a removable top...although how may people spending a buck twenty on one would actually remove it!
merc G.png

Reactions: StG58
Back in the 60’s, the Bronco and IH Scout were as close as you could get iirc. My aunt had a bronco, it was a bit longer, but not much. I still love my Jeep stuff. We have 3 in the yard now, looking at 4&5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
If Toyota did a retro of the FJ40, like Ford is doing with the Bronco, Jeep would be in trouble. The current FJ doesn't even come close, unless you want to compare it to a JKU.

It may have something to do with the removable doors, flip down window, etc. I've heard, but cannot verify, that those features are grandfathered into the design. If they were to remove them, they would be gone forever. That means other makers cannot have them either. So they cannot add the features that make a Wrangler what it is.

As far as off-road capability, the XJ is just as capable, if not more so, with the extra wheel base, however, around here they are 50 to 75 percent the cost of a wrangler. So it's not capability that drives the demand, it's the features...which because of the government mandated safety restrictions, have essentially given jeep a monopoly.

Mid size trucks.. tacoma. Canyon, colorado, nissans,... should be considerd competition.

But the biggest threat is a side by side.
Razor, canams.. etc.

Jeep doesnt really offer something consumers cant find elsewhere... it is just iconic and very well branded in the US.

Reactions: Phil Younger
Ford plans to make the Bronco again as a solid front axle but you can bet not with removable doors or flip down windshield.
I know someone who works at Ford and there was an idea floating around not only for removable doors but some kind of storage space for them in the rear will be interesting if it happens

Reactions: Phil Younger