Wrangler JL Rollover!

I think the setup in the JL is nice. I was always impressed with the result of this sport bar cage (didn't have a spreader bar and was not tied into the floor).

https://www.stu-offroad.com//guards/sportbar/roll-4.htm

Reactions: Jamison C
@ac_ All good points :meparto: I can’t stand the JK/JL fenders. @Chris The Europeans are definitely more picky with crash and driving standards than us Yanks. But they have cool things like the autobahn so I have no room to talk haha.

I watched a half hour review of the JL and all of its features and it makes me soooooooooo thankful how simple the TJ is.

I think the setup in the JL is nice. I was always impressed with the result of this sport bar cage (didn't have a spreader bar and was not tied into the floor).

https://www.stu-offroad.com//guards/sportbar/roll-4.htm

I’ve seen that one before! Looks like it held up well! I would cry if that happened to my Jeep :shakehead:

@ac_ All good points :meparto: I can’t stand the JK/JL fenders. @Chris The Europeans are definitely more picky with crash and driving standards than us Yanks. But they have cool things like the autobahn so I have no room to talk haha.

I watched a half hour review of the JL and all of its features and it makes me soooooooooo thankful how simple the TJ is.

I always looked for the European standard crash ratings for motorcycle helmets, only because they seemed to have more strict testing. And having done a lot of track racing on my Ducati and Aprilia, I usually wanted the safest helmets I could get.

I always looked for the European standard crash ratings for motorcycle helmets, only because they seemed to have more strict testing. And having done a lot of track racing on my Ducati and Aprilia, I usually wanted the safest helmets I could get.
True that. Ahhhh a fellow racer! Always loved those crossplane engines. My last bike was a 2006 Yamaha R1. It was the LE version with the full Ohlins race suspension and Marchesini magnesium wheels. That was the lightest power-to-weight R1 that Yamaha has manufactured I think, and man that thing could move.

Reactions: Mud dauber and ac_
True that. Ahhhh a fellow racer! Always loved those crossplane engines. My last bike was a 2006 Yamaha R1. It was the LE version with the full Ohlins race suspension and Marchesini magnesium wheels. That was the lightest power-to-weight R1 that Yamaha has manufactured I think, and man that thing could move.

I have a 06 R1 50th Anniversary now. It doesn't have the Ohlins or the Marchesini, but it is the fastest bike I have ever ridden, and I used to track a Nicki Hayden Repsol replica.

Ahh, I used to have a 2009 R1 myself with the crossplane crank.

Here's some photos of my more notable sport bikes I've owned:

IMG_0626_JPG.jpg
_DSC2990_zpsfbeeb0dd.jpg
IMG_3418.JPG

Ahh, I used to have a 2009 R1 myself with the crossplane crank.

Here's some photos of my more notable sport bikes I've owned:

View attachment 67203View attachment 67204View attachment 67205
Chris you have excellent taste in motorcycles! I managed and was a partner in a dealership for years and we carried Ducati and had Aprilia and Guzzi for a while as well . I had 999R as well that bike was sooo sneaky fast with that lazy powerband and long chassis feel the speed would kinda creep up on you ! Unlike that V4 Ape that just rips period. Also loved to just look at all the cool R parts on the 999 like the sexy sand cast engine bits .

Reactions: Mud dauber
Chris you have excellent taste in motorcycles! I managed and was a partner in a dealership for years and we carried Ducati and had Aprilia and Guzzi for a while as well . I had 999R as well that bike was sooo sneaky fast with that lazy powerband and long chassis feel the speed would kinda creep up on you ! Unlike that V4 Ape that just rips period. Also loved to just look at all the cool R parts on the 999 like the sexy sand cast engine bits .

Oh yeah, the 999R is my favorite of all the Ducati’s. I loved the Pierre Tamblanche design, it almost looks like a bullet train.

If that riding position wasn’t so taxing on my body, I would probably still own it. But as I got older, I found the riding position of sport bikes just wasn’t working for me anymore.

Either way, sounds like we have similar taste! I love Italian bikes with a passion!

Reactions: Mud dauber
Reactions: tomtaylz and Chris
Two of the reasons it scored so low were the lack of automatic accident avoidance features and also that it’s not “friendly” to pedestrians if it hits them!!!?
This is actually a real concern in Europe and they have had “pedestrian” crash standards Since the early 2000’s I believe . You have to remember how old most of the roadways are there they were designed for people and horses. The cars came later so very crowded, one of the reasons scooters are so popular. People get hit all the time .

Reactions: Chris
Most uncomfortable bike I ever owned was my Paul Smart LE while my Multistrada demo was the best . I have converted to the sporty adventure touring for most street use . I do have one of my old Ducks I will never sell and that is my 900 SP . Now have a “cheap and cheerful” gixxer for the track
4DFC7E3D-DFFF-4630-A219-62AB2E3322D6.jpeg
22827880-DA31-427D-97B3-2888CE2AFF08.jpeg

Most uncomfortable bike I ever owned was my Paul Smart LE while my Multistrada demo was the best . I have converted to the sporty adventure touring for most street use . I do have one of my old Ducks I will never sell and that is my 900 SP . Now have a “cheap and cheerful” gixxer for the track

Funny you say that. I wrote a Paul Smart LE, and that was indeed the WORST riding position and most uncomfortable position I've ever been in. Next in line would be the MV Agusta F4 and my Ducati 998... those bikes are just not meant for the road in terms of riding position. On the track though, that's another story.

Nice looking bikes though for sure! I switched to riding cruisers, which is obviously a lot more comfortable, especially as you get older.

Reactions: ac_
I was visiting Seattle a few years ago, and stopped in at the Ducati dealer in Seattle, and they were having a show going on. I got to sit on a desmosedici rr. The seat was a riveted piece of foam, I don't know how those racers do that for 30 laps. I didn't like sitting on it for a solid 5 minutes, but that thing got my heart racing just sitting on it.

I have never been a cruiser fan myself. I bought a Harley Davidson wide glide because my Wifee hated my sport bikes, but then she learned she didn't like the Harley either. She decided that if she was going to go riding with me she was going to ride her own bike so she bought a GS500. It was so funny because she kept crashing it. I don't mean she got in accidents I mean she would come to a stop and not put her foot down and fall over. Or go to take off and kill it and fall over.

Seriously it was pretty funny, then one day she said I want to buy a new bike, and I was like are you sure? I mean do you want to wreck a new bike. She told me she was done with falling over and crashing. So she went out and bought a Ducati Monster 750. The first think I did was lower it an inch. She never dropped her bike once, and she had it for almost 10 years now.

One time we were at arroyo seco at the track, and late in the day she ran off of the track on her Monster, and fell over in the sand, but I don't count that as a crash. I guess it was, but she never fell over on the street, and she used to ride it a lot to work and back. She nor I, ride as much as we used to. My sportbikes were daily drivers for about 15 years, till I bought my TJ, and now I think I drive my Jeep way more than I ride. (Honestly it is the AC), but honestly I don't find my sportbike to be less comfortable than my cruiser. In fact, I am more comfortable on my sportbike because I know I can avoid trouble if I have to in an instance. It is my personal opinion nothing against the cruisers, but for me I just a sport bike guy, always have been.

By the way this is her at Arroyo Seco:

_DSC2277.JPG

Last edited:
Thread officially derailed!!
Here’s my 09 ZX6R which I totaled in the mountains almost two years ago in March (this photo won bike of the month on our local motorcycle page btw ;)).
16877AA5-A43B-4EBA-8A6F-18EB0A3DCA46.jpeg

And here’s my 2006 R1 LE in Moto GP colors.
89A077CE-4534-4E24-89CF-687219139CF2.jpeg

And me at AMP in Goodyear, AZ October of ‘16
C3994D73-7288-40FC-900B-65F4C1789979.jpeg

Do I miss riding? Absolutely. Do I regret giving up to pursue the Jeep life? Absolutely not!