Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Sweet, I'm just north of you in Clinton. I've had a Cherokee for 12 years, but I have only had my TJ about 7 months. Gotta say, I'll never drive anything else again.

Reactions: Quad City Jeep
Reactions: Chris
I feel your pain! I guess in the end we can all thank that dickhead Al Gore for making sure we have ethanol in our fuel.

Hmm very interesting. Never had this problem with my 2006 but then maybe it's because I live in Mexico where there is no Ethanol added to the fuel.

Hmm very interesting. Never had this problem with my 2006 but then maybe it's because I live in Mexico where there is no Ethanol added to the fuel.

Yep, that would be why. As far as I know, other countries aren't putting ethanol in their fuel (at least not like the US is). US politics are of course to blame for this.

I found a place online that at least still had the part in their database. I placed an online order late last night and we'll see if I get an email saying it is actually not available or if it actually ships. I'll do another post to update this thread, just in case there are others in need of the fix.

Today I got the bad news that this site actually does not have the part. Was hopeful since it accepted my order initially, but I actually spoke to the guy today who confirmed it's on national backorder with GM, so there is no hope of ever finding one now. I saw a mechanic's video online who identified the problem by dropping the tank and seeing the part that has been affected by ethanol. But I'm not excited about dropping my tank to fix it. That is a pain. Guess we just go about filling the tank 3/4 full forever.

Today I got the bad news that this site actually does not have the part. Was hopeful since it accepted my order initially, but I actually spoke to the guy today who confirmed it's on national backorder with GM, so there is no hope of ever finding one now. I saw a mechanic's video online who identified the problem by dropping the tank and seeing the part that has been affected by ethanol. But I'm not excited about dropping my tank to fix it. That is a pain. Guess we just go about filling the tank 3/4 full forever.

There is hope. If you call around to every GM dealer you can find, sometimes they'll have one siting on the shelf. I've been in this situation before where something was on national backorder, and I was fortunate enough to find one that was sitting on a shelf at some dealership in Kansas City!

Of course you have to make a lot of calls, but it's a possibility.

There is hope. If you call around to every GM dealer you can find, sometimes they'll have one siting on the shelf. I've been in this situation before where something was on national backorder, and I was fortunate enough to find one that was sitting on a shelf at some dealership in Kansas City!

Of course you have to make a lot of calls, but it's a possibility.

Several years ago I was in search of a Unicorn cup holder insert for my Grand Cherokee 5.9. They had been long discontinued and were very difficult to find for sale on line even used. Living in Mexico made it all the more difficult. I called a Jeep/Chrysler dealer in Arizona searching for one. Of course they didn't have one but the parts guy offered to check the national computer network which linked all the dealerships in the USA. Amazingly he found one at a dealer in Michigan. He told me it was most likely the last new one in the country. I don't see why a GM dealer couldn't do the same thing if you say pretty please.

Several years ago I was in search of a Unicorn cup holder insert for my Grand Cherokee 5.9. They had been long discontinued and were very difficult to find for sale on line even used. Living in Mexico made it all the more difficult. I called a Jeep/Chrysler dealer in Arizona searching for one. Of course they didn't have one but the parts guy offered to check the national computer network which linked all the dealerships in the USA. Amazingly he found one at a dealer in Michigan. He told me it was most likely the last new one in the country. I don't see why a GM dealer couldn't do the same thing if you say pretty please.

Yep, exact same thing happened to me with a rear tailgate piece I needed for my 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. It had been out of production for years, but he checked the national database and found one at that Kansas City dealership. I called them up and ordered it from them.

Pretty cool if you ask me! The issue is, I don't think most dealers do this unless you ask them to. Most of them just search to see if it's available at one of the part distribution center warehouses I believe.

I called no less than a dozen GM parts shops and was told "nope" by every one of them. If you can find one, please let me know ASAP.

Now, I did find a better fix... i can't remember the name of the company but they sell aftermarket gas tanks for our vehicles.... and they hold way more fuel and mount up just like the OEM tank.

Not only do you get a permanent fix, you also get a way bigger gas tank. The tanks were all around $1000.

I called no less than a dozen GM parts shops and was told "nope" by every one of them. If you can find one, please let me know ASAP.

Now, I did find a better fix... i can't remember the name of the company but they sell aftermarket gas tanks for our vehicles.... and they hold way more fuel and mount up just like the OEM tank.

Not only do you get a permanent fix, you also get a way bigger gas tank. The tanks were all around $1000.

I guess I can't see $1,000 vs. a $20 part being a better fix. I'd fill it 3/4 full for the rest of my time with the vehicle before I invest $1,000 in a gas tank.

Reactions: Chris
I never had a problem with splash overflow when filling up. Of course, I don't just put the lever on auto, I pump it manually and know that I top off at about $25 with current prices. So, when I get to $20, I just start backing off on the lever. Then it clicks off and I might get a drop or two as I remove the hose from the jeep. Nothing I'm concerned about...

Reactions: fourpointzero
The only way a new fuel tank would be a fix was if it was metal (or something similar). Nylon and plastic are all susceptible to the effects of ethanol.