Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

So what, exactly, is the issue that causes the fuel overflow thing to happen? What's the mechanics of it? My '99 doesn't do it (yet) and I am curious as to what is going on.

So what, exactly, is the issue that causes the fuel overflow thing to happen? What's the mechanics of it? My '99 doesn't do it (yet) and I am curious as to what is going on.
I saw a video by a mechanic who dropped the tank and pulled out the part that prevents the back flow once the tank is full. It is a plastic part. Apparently, the ethanol somehow corrodes it somehow so it no longer slides from between and open and closed position (it just stays open). In the video, he used his dremel to slightly sand down the edges of the part to allow it to move freely again. A very easy fix, IF you like dropping your tank (which is a pain in the ass).

Reactions: Chris
Here is the video on YouTube. The problem is (or might be) that our ethanol blended gas may just cause this to happen again (eventually). Not sure. But it does look like a very easy fix. Wish you could get to it without dropping the tank.

Reactions: MBJ and Chris
I found GM part 15131046 online with a Chevy dealer. It appears to be the same one shown in the overview on how to fix the TJ's fuel tank spit up problem. Search for it here: http://parts.royaloakschevy.com or maybe any Chevy dealer can get it. Not sure, but glad I found one.
IMG_4314.JPG

So installed mine today, followed the instructions exactly, and it fit like a glove. I had no issues accessing the clamps, total time was about 30 mins. On mine (05 SE) I initially had the splash back. Before I knew about this issue I checked it out and found the vent hose was coming off so I pushed it back on and got gas. Not one problem, awesome. But the next fill up had both, slow filling and splash back.

With this hose I still have slow filling but no splashing. It does have a tiny amount of gas that forms around the filler neck because the flapper isn't a 100% seal. Far better than gas blowing out all over my freshly painted flare, however.

The only "true fix" is going to be pulling the tank and smoothing out that plunger like the above video. Sucks that you can't do it in vehicle because with the hose off you can clearly see the plunger. I pushed mine down and could feel that it does not move freely.

Well, like you said, at least it's not overflowing gas!

Glad that Amazon has these things back in stock!

So installed mine today, followed the instructions exactly, and it fit like a glove. I had no issues accessing the clamps, total time was about 30 mins. On mine (05 SE) I initially had the splash back. Before I knew about this issue I checked it out and found the vent hose was coming off so I pushed it back on and got gas. Not one problem, awesome. But the next fill up had both, slow filling and splash back.

With this hose I still have slow filling but no splashing. It does have a tiny amount of gas that forms around the filler neck because the flapper isn't a 100% seal. Far better than gas blowing out all over my freshly painted flare, however.

The only "true fix" is going to be pulling the tank and smoothing out that plunger like the above video. Sucks that you can't do it in vehicle because with the hose off you can clearly see the plunger. I pushed mine down and could feel that it does not move freely.

Since you've still got slow filling, did you check for any kinks in the new hose? My friend replaced his and it remedied the slow filing.

I had slow filling before the hose swap. It seems there is either slow filling or splash back depending on whether the plunger is stuck open or closed. Unfortunately, I have a bit of both with mine.

To answer the question, no kinks. The hose fits very well cut to the length the OP had specified.

Booooo! Still getting overflow, not shooting out, just pouring down the side. Plus it still takes forever and a day to fill. Looks like I will be dropping the tank this weekend.:mad:

Booooo! Still getting overflow, not shooting out, just pouring down the side. Plus it still takes forever and a day to fill. Looks like I will be dropping the tank this weekend.:mad:

That's no fun... Time to do a gas tank skid at the same time I would say!

That's no fun... Time to do a gas tank skid at the same time I would say!
Wish I could, no play funds at the moment. I am going to try and jam the plunger down and see what happens. I read others doing it with the flapper hose with good results. It is a 5 min ordeal so if it doesn't work, no biggie.

So I pulled the hose, used a screwdriver to lightly tap the plunger down, then hooked the hose back up. Took it to get gas, set the handle on low, and filled away. No clicking off, no spewing at the auto kick off. So far so good. I am sure it is only a temp fix so I may end up pulling the tank eventually.