Ya'll I'm Scared

Just a little story to help. I was alone on this trip, but I had a '55 Chevy with two fours out of the hood, no windshield wipers and a very hopped up motor with solid lifters and I drove it from Pittsburgh to Orlando. I didn't make it and broke down on the boarder of FL and GA in a little town called Yulee. I got SUPER lucky and some guy got me and my car to a mechanic that raced cars and they got my car back up and running for the next day. It is a story I will NEVER forget as I was crazy enough to drive that thing down there. It was a drag car really with a tilt front end. Man what an adventure. Anyway my point is no matter what happens it will be great!

Just a little story to help. I was alone on this trip, but I had a '55 Chevy with two fours out of the hood, no windshield wipers and a very hopped up motor with solid lifters and I drove it from Pittsburgh to Orlando. I didn't make it and broke down on the boarder of FL and GA in a little town called Yulee. I got SUPER lucky and some guy got me and my car to a mechanic that raced cars and they got my car back up and running for the next day. It is a story I will NEVER forget as I was crazy enough to drive that thing down there. It was a drag car really with a tilt front end. Man what an adventure. Anyway my point is no matter what happens it will be great!

That a great story. You really don't have that happen all that much any more I feel. And I'm sorry but this M2 looks just too good

I'm keeping the TJ I think. Really don't want the debt. I'm sure I could convince my dad to just let me use the 10k on improvements to Barbara. Plus... TJ's really look better.
If you want a more road friendly jeep you can find a much better price for one. I wouldn’t buy that new of one to begin with. You can get a nice Rubicon for far less than 42k. Keeping the TJ isn’t a bad option either it just sounds like you wanted to get something different. I wouldn’t pour 10k into your tj tho.

Sounds like they made a movie out of your shananagins haha and named it 'Two-lane Blacktop' (y)(y)

il_340x270.1083798940_haql.jpg

Reactions: tworley
Yeah, I’m not thinking the TJ would have a hard time making the trip. They are, generally, very reliable. Most boast that the 4.0 is a bulletproof engine. They are also easy to work on. Parts are everywhere. It’s hard to question the many, many 4.0 engines on the road that lived to tell 300,000 + mile stories. Short story, reliability shouldn’t be an issue.

If you were looking at a 2007-2011 JK I’d say reliability would be an issue. As far as a 2012-2018, not as much.

I'm keeping the TJ I think. Really don't want the debt. I'm sure I could convince my dad to just let me use the 10k on improvements to Barbara. Plus... TJ's really look better.
This is wise. If you can avoid debt, by all means do so. I really think you could get far more than half way to your dream TJ with $10K (especially if you do most of the work, apart from re-gearing). Here’s another place to just be smart. And yes, they do look better. I was looking at mine today and it just sits right.

Give the TJ a good going over before you make the trip and it should be good to go.

Sounds like they made a movie out of your shananagins haha and named it 'Two-lane Blacktop' (y)(y)

Well that car is very close. I also had no front bumper, but no hood scoop, just the duel quads. lol Not good in rain. It was one fast car for the time. Ran 11's. Not that fast by today's standards though.

Go for the TJ drive. That is a real adventure IMHO.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Take the TJ, you won't regret it. Lost my Dad a couple months ago to cancer. We were supposed to take 2 months and drive all the way to Alaska from Kentucky. Saved up for 3 years to make it happen and he got diagnosed 6 months before we were supposed to go. Never got to make that trip, but he left me what I needed to buy my TJ and I think of him every time I'm in it.

There's a line in a country song titled "I hold on" that sums it up pretty well for you IMO. It says:
"It's just an old beat up truck
Some say that I should trade up
Now that I got some jingle in my pocket
But what they don’t understand
Is it's the miles that make a man
I wouldn’t trade that thing in for a rocket
What they don’t know is my dad and me
We drove her out to Tennessee
And she’s still here and now he’s gone
So I hold on"

I'd have to go with the "drive the TJ with Dad" option. Back in 1989 I drove my 76 CJ-5 with 120K miles on it from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego on a PCS move while in the Navy. Fantastic road trip, I enjoyed every minute of it. It would have been even better if my dad had been along. Try to stay off the interstates and use back roads - more miles to drive, more time on the road, but less wear and tear on the Jeep and way more interesting sights and people. Never pass up an opportunity for an adventure.

Just did this same trip with my son JLsTJ
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/road-trip-in-the-tj-with-pops.15307/ CA-WA-VA
Had a great time, lots of father son bonding, would do it again in a heartbeat. Like others have said find a shop you trust, have them look at it. We spent a couple $$$ (death wobble, gears) but it made for a great trip. If you have the time take the back roads, we didn't our trip was in November between storms. Take lots of pics!

Please don’t go in debt .

A Jeep is a freedom machine , a loan ain’t .

Plenty of time for that in life later.

Debt is expensive , and carries a little bit of depression with it .

There are good reasons for it along life’s way, but avoid it if you like being carefree.

Last edited:
Just did this same trip with my son JLsTJ
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/road-trip-in-the-tj-with-pops.15307/ CA-WA-VA
Had a great time, lots of father son bonding, would do it again in a heartbeat. Like others have said find a shop you trust, have them look at it. We spent a couple $$$ (death wobble, gears) but it made for a great trip. If you have the time take the back roads, we didn't our trip was in November between storms. Take lots of pics!

That's great. I'm hoping for the same thing. Luckily out of all the driving I've done I haven't experienced death wobble so hopefully I don't have that expense. My dad and I are big photographers so lots of pics will definitely be taken. Hopefully some will have Barbara in them :)

Please don’t go in debt .

A Jeep is a freedom machine , a loan ain’t .

Plenty that of time for that in life later.

Debt is expensive , and carries a little bit of depression with it .

There are good reasons for it along life’s way, but avoid it if you like being carefree.

I'm with you on this. I already have a student loan I'm taking care of and I really only want a home loan to be next.

Reactions: AndyG

I'm a bit late weighing in, but I definitely agree with this sentiment. Keep the TJ. It's a great vehicle and while JKs aren't bad, cars from the late 90s/early 2000s are a special breed of having so many good things about modern cars (air bags, increased safety, streamlined mechanics), but not the crappy or awkward stuff that has come later (touch screen "infotainment" centers that are night and day different across every different car model, massive amounts of wiring in the car, and computerization that makes is incredibly difficult to work on your own car).

At least it's a 2 door, but if you were going to get a 2018 Rubicon, I'd say at least try to get the Recon version of the Rubicon since it's a slightly upgraded version only available in 2017/2018 models of the JK and it looks pretty slick. Still, sticking with the TJ is a solid option for reasons I mentioned already.

And to touch on one point from your original post:
C) Just make the trip with Barbara. In this case what could I do to make her ready to go for an across country trip.

If you don't have cruise control in your TJ, go ahead and check out the guide Chris has on installing it. Long trips without cruise control are a pain in the ass. Outside of that, you have a hard top and tires that aren't too aggressive, so you won't have as much wind/tire noise as many other TJs out there, so it should make a good trip for you and your pops.