Yeah but does it come with cup holders?

Who is this supposed to appeal to? I mean it’s cool, but this will literally never be a thing. Maybe if you’re ultra rich and have a pilots license, but even then...

Who is this supposed to appeal to? I mean it’s cool, but this will literally never be a thing. Maybe if you’re ultra rich and have a pilots license, but even then...

I think the technology will be very useful. Think a flooded city after a hurricane and people need to be rescued. Think being able get help to people in remote areas. These things have very high lifting power and can be transported on a small flatbed.

As a civilian vehicle they may have some future but I think you're right it's limited but as a vehicle that can be deployed in situations where roads are not available it's got great potential.

Reactions: Chris
I think the technology will be very useful. Think a flooded city after a hurricane and people need to be rescued. Think being able get help to people in remote areas. These things have very high lifting power and can be transported on a small flatbed.

As a civilian vehicle they may have some future but I think you're right it's limited but as a vehicle that can be deployed in situations where roads are not available it's got great potential.

Yeah, that makes sense. I mean the technology alone is great, I just always laugh whenever I hear some of these people tell us that flying cars are the future. That one just makes me laugh. People are such terrible drivers as it is. Can you imagine if we gave them all pilots licenses? 🤣

Any given day might end up in a Buick free falling into your living room from 1000 feet 😂

Banshee.png

The amount of infrastructure required to support flying cars is something that won't exist in our lifetime. You know how complicated flying is? It takes a shitload of time & effort to understand not only how to use the damn thing, but also how to navigate & communicate. 90% of people driving around are barely getting by & not paying much attention to the road, if you gave them a 3rd axis to deal with there would be flying car parts raining from the sky. The only way it'll ever work is by complete autonomy.

It's super cool to read "flying car" articles every few months though.

I wonder what it will be like on trails :devilish:

I will call it a flying car when I can drive it on wheels until I get tired of stupid traffic and just take off into the air. Otherwise it's just a riding drone.

Last edited:
The amount of infrastructure required to support flying cars is something that won't exist in our lifetime. You know how complicated flying is? It takes a shitload of time & effort to understand not only how to use the damn thing, but also how to navigate & communicate. 90% of people driving around are barely getting by & not paying much attention to the road, if you gave them a 3rd axis to deal with there would be flying car parts raining from the sky. The only way it'll ever work is by complete autonomy.

The fact that half the population is on TikTok tells me alone that people are to stupid to ever fly.

I definitely don't see a future where the flying car is not just being pointed and accelerated/slowed down by the driver, and the rest is handled by a system controlling everything else. Just not responsible or practical enough

Reactions: reddvltj
The infrastructure is key for sure but as for flying in this type of vehicle.... the software exists and the systems exist too make this autonomous. Hell it is just about there for vehicles on the ground which is more difficult because there is no sensor system. I'm sure anything that flies will have transponders or something similar to position them in relation to other vehicles.

Not saying we're going to see them in the next 5 years but I do know that this type of vehicle is much more stable than a traditional helicopter and that search and rescue operations will most likely be using something similar sooner than civilians.

Reactions: Ephry73
Not to long ago electric cars were scoffed at, with self-driving cars not really even mentioned except by a Heinlein or Asimov. Tech progresses faster every day, and any flying "car" would be completely automated before it became a thing.

George Jetson ain't that far away if we can keep our society from imploding.

Not to long ago electric cars were scoffed at, with self-driving cars not really even mentioned except by a Heinlein or Asimov. Tech progresses faster every day, and any flying "car" would be completely automated before it became a thing.

George Jetson ain't that far away if we can keep our society from imploding.
I still scoff at electric cars for the most part. The problem of 120 years ago still exists today - only the pseudo-solution is to use extremely expensive rare earth batteries that are hard on the environment.

With that said, I'd be interested in a cheap electric car powered by cheap lead acid batteries. A real world range of 60 miles would accommodate 95% of my driving needs. No overpriced electronics need apply, just a good PWM controller and no touch screen.

The infrastructure is key for sure but as for flying in this type of vehicle.... the software exists and the systems exist too make this autonomous. Hell it is just about there for vehicles on the ground which is more difficult because there is no sensor system. I'm sure anything that flies will have transponders or something similar to position them in relation to other vehicles.
"They" are already there. A lot of new vehicles come equipt with front, rear, and side proximity sensors, as well as GPS/Cellular location systems. And those aren't only on the Autonomous vehicles either. A large percentage of new Semi trucks are also coming with forward facing and right side facing radar sensors.

Adaptive cruise control, automatic braking while backing, blind spot monitoring, etc... Most of these sensors are standard equipment on high end luxury vehicles.