Yeah, you really do need 4WD in the snow!

This is the second year I've gone without buying snow tires. All season tires work pretty well for the most part.
It's now illegal to drive on i70 from Grand Junction to denver without 4x4, snow tires or chains now, so I'm glad I got the jeep this year since last year I had front wheel drive only in the camry.
That's crazy! I was born and raised in Durango and wished back then(60's and 70's) we had 4 wheel drive.LOL. Had a lot of fun in our Galaxie 500 on snow packed roads though:eek:

Reactions: Basiasadie
That's crazy! I was born and raised in Durango and wished back then(60's and 70's) we had 4 wheel drive.LOL. Had a lot of fun in our Galaxie 500 on snow packed roads though:eek:
It took them a few years to make it a law during the snow, but they did it and it's started helping with the amount of accidents on the road already. (the fines are outrageous so it's cheaper to get decent tires than get caught without.)

Reactions: Chris and Kevin E
In the heavy 'mashed potato' snow, I can dump the clutch in 2nd gear and the lockers an KM's launch me like a rocket. Throws snow high into the air! :D

Reactions: Chris
The majority of the snow in the Northwet is so close to the melting point it acts a lot like mud, which is why mud tires work so well in it. When we get the colder variety, it seems the all terrain style tires work best. Closest thing to a winter tire I've ever driven had garnet in the rubber and ice traction was quite good. We really do need a cold compound rain tire in these parts, for sure.

My All Terrain tires seem to work pretty well in most of this Pacific Northwest weather. It's just the ice where they start to show their weakness, but how many tires are excellent in ice?

... how many tires are excellent in ice?
I got your excellent ice tires right here Chris. :D

Andy-tires2.jpg

When I was up at my cottage (Bracebridge, Ontario) a couple weekends ago there was a small snow storm overnight and when I woke up in the morning I was welcomed with almost a foot of snow. When I left later that morning she started up like it was any regular day and I dropped her into 4WD and absolutely no problems. She loved it! My tires seem to be pretty good in snow... I have BFG Mud Terrain Tires on it. I feel unstoppable with that magic lever lol!

Reactions: JP13 and Bermudacat
A nice AT tire (Duratracs) do well in packed snow and even deeper snow. Again, ice is the issue with most tires, haha.

Mud Terrains are generally good in deep snow but show their weakness on packed snow / plowed roads.

A nice AT tire (Duratracs) do well in packed snow and even deeper snow. Again, ice is the issue with most tires, haha.

Mud Terrains are generally good in deep snow but show their weakness on packed snow / plowed roads.

And when it comes to fuel efficiency :p

Reactions: Chris

True. Lots of small edges like an A/T work well on pack. The stock Bridgestones on the FJ look like a hiway tire but really grab well on the compact stuff.

Winter tires would make a big difference, but they only come in smaller sizes.

100% here. I would love a set of 33x9.50 winter grips. But regardless even tho the stock size grips LOOK ridiculous on a lifted TJ.... They really do work.

I forgot I changed the MTs for winter grips and did the short cut across the creek.... They do look silly with the highline. And sure do not perform like MTs.

DSC_0004 (1).jpg

Last edited: