Yet Another Phone Holder Thread [Magnetic Mount + Charging + MagSafe Case]

dukegrad

OK, I have spent waaaay too long thinking about phone holders for the Jeep, so I finally pulled the trigger. My goals were:
  • Compatible with my current iPhone X (no interest in upgrading to a new phone now)
  • Magnetic holder AND charger
  • I was OK having to buy a new case if needed
  • Easy to install
  • Easy to turn from portrait to landscape
  • Affordable

Here's where I landed... (phone easily spins 90 degrees on the magnets if you want landscape mode, while video recording for ex.)

KxBlA1BiUkx0q9pGSEkY2yIn4x=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg
nS-xHKsFIltV6FpKHNTkQlgJup=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

Mount and Charger: [$36]

71+5k0rAMGS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Dash or windshield mount. I used the latter method - worked great! The suction cup has sticky on it too, which should help stay stuck to windshield (but may make it a bit tougher to unmount/remount if you're into that sort of thing - wasn't my goal, staying put is more important)
  • Vent mount option. I found this to not work at all. Our TJ vents are too easy to move up/down, so the mount+phone was too heavy to stay in place
  • Very adjustable, with tilting/telescoping arm and ball joint
  • If you have a Magsafe compatible iPhone or case (see below), this solution should work well

iPhone X MagSafe Case: [$16]

61jnytfl5fS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• There seem to be very few MagSafe case options out there for iPhone X, so I wasn't/couldn't be picky on style
  • Magnets in this case stick very solidly to the charger above (I haven't wheeled with this setup yet, but I think it should be fine given the strength). Note the negative reviews on Amazon about weak magnets are likely not using the proper case+charger combo (ex. an iPhone 12 in a standard case may be too bulky, putting too big a gap between the phone and charger and therefore may not charge or stay put)

Other benefits....
  • This setup is completely removable to stock in seconds (no drilling, wiring, etc). Didn't matter to me, but might to some
  • When I do upgrade my phone, this setup should work as-is with iPhone 12 or 13 (both are Magsafe enabled). I obviously wouldn't need the iPhone X case at that point

Hope this helps others who are the same boat I was! Very happy with it so far.

-e

KxBlA1BiUkx0q9pGSEkY2yIn4x=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

I looked at the Quad Lock too when I was considering a solution that would also fit up to my mountain bike. I decided against going that route, but definitely a nice option!

OK, I have spent waaaay too long thinking about phone holders for the Jeep, so I finally pulled the trigger. My goals were:
  • Compatible with my current iPhone X (no interest in upgrading to a new phone now)
  • Magnetic holder AND charger
  • I was OK having to buy a new case if needed
  • Easy to install
  • Easy to turn from portrait to landscape
  • Affordable

Here's where I landed... (phone easily spins 90 degrees on the magnets if you want landscape mode, while video recording for ex.)

View attachment 280448View attachment 280449

Mount and Charger: [$36]

View attachment 280450

• Dash or windshield mount. I used the latter method - worked great! The suction cup has sticky on it too, which should help stay stuck to windshield (but may make it a bit tougher to unmount/remount if you're into that sort of thing - wasn't my goal, staying put is more important)
  • Vent mount option. I found this to not work at all. Our TJ vents are too easy to move up/down, so the mount+phone was too heavy to stay in place
  • Very adjustable, with tilting/telescoping arm and ball joint
  • If you have a Magsafe compatible iPhone or case (see below), this solution should work well

iPhone X MagSafe Case: [$16]

View attachment 280451
  • There seem to be very few MagSafe case options out there for iPhone X, so I wasn't/couldn't be picky on style
  • Magnets in this case stick very solidly to the charger above (I haven't wheeled with this setup yet, but I think it should be fine given the strength). Note the negative reviews on Amazon about weak magnets are likely not using the proper case+charger combo (ex. an iPhone 12 in a standard case may be too bulky, putting too big a gap between the phone and charger and therefore may not charge or stay put)

Other benefits....
  • This setup is completely removable to stock in seconds (no drilling, wiring, etc). Didn't matter to me, but might to some
  • When I do upgrade my phone, this setup should work as-is with iPhone 12 or 13 (both are Magsafe enabled). I obviously wouldn't need the iPhone X case at that point

Hope this helps others who are the same boat I was! Very happy with it so far.

-e

View attachment 280448
How does it do off roading?

I haven’t wheeled it hard yet since install (hopefully in the next few weeks schedules permitting), but there is a lot of road construction near me that hasn’t been kind to the suspension. Phone + mount hasn’t skipped a beat!

Reactions: Nucklenelson
I haven’t wheeled it hard yet since install (hopefully in the next few weeks schedules permitting), but there is a lot of road construction near me that hasn’t been kind to the suspension. Phone + mount hasn’t skipped a beat!
Thanks might give it a try. I usually keep my phone on my lap or the cup holder and I just hate when it goes sliding to the floor.

My phone went out of the jeep with doors off a couple weeks ago. It survived just fine.
Funny story… a few years back I was caught caught topless is a squall that was not forecasted. Got soaked. The aftermarket radio’s faceplate got water in it so, smart me decided to remove it and place it on the defrost with heat on. Worked great until I took a roundabout and it shot out the side (no doors) like the gutter ice in Christmas Vacation. Circled back around and picked it up. Still ticking to this day!

I'm a quad lock fan. They're pricey but super secure. Have the charger setup in my TJ and clips on 3 road and 1 mountain bike.