Yikes! Rust Issues

CryptoYeets

Hey everyone, after changing my oil today I noticed some of the rust I had with my jeep has gotten way worse to the point where I don't think it's safe to drive.
I was wondering if anyone here has had any of this fixed (torque boxes) & a driver side floor pan. The torque box on the passenger side is just as bad, but the floor pans are good. The Frame is still solid and just has surface rust, I checked it thoroughly.

These pics are from the Drivers Side.

Has anyone who's had this done, chip in on giving me a ballpark estimate of what this will cost to be fixed? My Jeep is my only car so hopefully this is worth getting fixed. Everything else on the jeep is fine(paint's still shiny, runs & shifts great)

Thanks!

20210301_141432.jpg

20210301_141625.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: L J and rasband
Well you need a new floor pan, a new rocker panel on that side, and likely new frame rails in that section as well.

You’re looking at probably $2000 plus if I had to guess.

Reactions: Vtx531
Unfortunately no, but I was thinking about getting a harbor freight welder & see if I can get the hang of it with some sheet metal.
I'll give you a little bit of advice on that.

Craigslist...your local traders guide type thing, pennysaver...whatever.

Find a used Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, 110 volt is plenty powerful enough for doing what you're looking at.
They can be had for the cost of a Harbor Freight unit and honestly the above three examples last forever. Parts are always available should you break something.

Practice practice practice.

Everyone has junk steel around. Hell find two old bolts and weld them together. Start playing around with the feed and heat and the why with different metal thicknesses.

Exhaust pipe pieces (not on your rig) are great to practice with especially with the heat and feed settings.

If you're splattering too much or your weld noise isn't smooth you've a shitty ground.
The ground is everything. Absolutely everything. You need a great ground to get a great weld. A grinder....a cut off tool makes a great tool for cleaning an area like a grinder for a good ground.

Good luck

Reactions: matkal
Quadratec sells replacement floor pans, and Auto Rust Technicians sells fixes for the torque boxes. The pans are easy enough to weld in, but the torque boxes require some precision. It comes down to what your budget is and how much you care about your Jeep. Are you OK with it being a guinea pig for learning how to weld? Maybe it's worth having a pro do the work so you know it's done right.

More importantly, are you SURE the frame is ok? To be frank I've never seen a TJ with rot like that in the torque boxes and floorboards with no frame rot. The outside of the frame is no indication of the extent of the problem because they rot from the inside out. Feel around inside the frame holes and check for big flakes.

Reactions: FarFire70
Welding in torque boxes sucks unless you can get the tub on the side. I did both sides on mine. Hot weld spatter does not feel good when you're welding above you.

Reactions: bromel
If you're willing to buy a welder to diy it these aren't a hard thing to weld. Just about any 110v will do it. Gas is much easier to work with but flux core is doable.

The torque boxes basically get plug welded and the floor pan will just be a series of tacks. There are solutions to the body mounts that don't require doing the entire torque box section if you don't care about it looking original. You can buy a full floor pan for cheap.

You really don't need a lot of skill to do sheet metal body work welding, you just pull the trigger in one spot til it sticks literally anyone can do it with an hour or two practice. It gets ground flush anyways doesn't even matter if it looks good.

Reactions: FarFire70
If you're willing to buy a welder to diy it these aren't a hard thing to weld. Just about any 110v will do it. Gas is much easier to work with but flux core is doable.

The torque boxes basically get plug welded and the floor pan will just be a series of tacks. There are solutions to the body mounts that don't require doing the entire torque box section if you don't care about it looking original. You can buy a full floor pan for cheap.

You really don't need a lot of skill to do sheet metal body work welding, you just pull the trigger in one spot til it sticks literally anyone can do it with an hour or two practice. It gets ground flush anyways doesn't even matter if it looks good.
Wondering how much you charge since it is so easy? :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been NOT looking forward to this DIY project all winter! Maybe I’ll just send it to you...

Wondering how much you charge since it is so easy? :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been NOT looking forward to this DIY project all winter! Maybe I’ll just send it to you...
Seriously...bring it to Neeley's restoration in Marne if you don't want to DIY. Reasonable rates and excellent work!

Check out some of the Junk he's brought back from the dead...

https://neeleysrestoration.com/gallery

Reactions: Vtx531
Seriously...bring it to Neeley's restoration in Marne if you don't want to DIY. Reasonable rates and excellent work!

Check out some of the Junk he's brought back from the dead...

https://neeleysrestoration.com/gallery
I might just have to look into them a bit, might need some frame work done down the line and don't like the work I got from the last guy I took it to.