YJ tailgate differences

egnarfed

Supporting Member
I have been looking at TJ tailgates (97-02) and YJ tailgates and was wondering, is any differences between the two? It looks like the hinges may be different but is there anything else? Thanks!

The vertical spacing of the hinges is different by 1/2" (11" vs. 11 1/2"), but there is enough adjustment in the captive nut plates inside the YJ tailgate to account for that difference.

Here's a photo of a YJ tailgate on the 06 LJ tub, using 97-02 TJ hinges. The distance between the bolt holes on the tub side is wider on the TJ than it is on the YJ, so the YJ hinges won't bolt directly up to the TJ tub without drilling two new holes in the tub.

YJTailgateTJ.jpg

The striker is in the correct location, so no problem with latching.

So, "final answer", a YJ tailgate on a TJ is a direct bolt-up using TJ hinges. If you want to use the YJ hinges you just have to drill two more holes in the tub.

The YJ tailgate in these photos didn't have the CHMSL contacts, so I can't tell you if they line up properly, but the tailgate side CHMSL contacts are easy to move if they don't line up.

The vertical spacing of the hinges is different by 1/2" (11" vs. 11 1/2"), but there is enough adjustment in the captive nut plates inside the YJ tailgate to account for that difference.

Here's a photo of a YJ tailgate on the 06 LJ tub, using 97-02 TJ hinges. The distance between the bolt holes on the tub side is wider on the TJ than it is on the YJ, so the YJ hinges won't bolt directly up to the TJ tub without drilling two new holes in the tub.

View attachment 194096

The striker is in the correct location, so no problem with latching.

So, "final answer", a YJ tailgate on a TJ is a direct bolt-up using TJ hinges. If you want to use the YJ hinges you just have to drill two more holes in the tub.

The YJ tailgate in these photos didn't have the CHMSL contacts, so I can't tell you if they line up properly, but the tailgate side CHMSL contacts are easy to move if they don't line up.
Thanks! That’s the answer I was looking for. Pictures were a really good help too. 😀👍🏻

What about later model tj tailgates? could I use the aluminium hinges for the later model tailgates? or do I have to use the steel hinges? Or does it not really matter?

What about later model tj tailgates? could I use the aluminium hinges for the later model tailgates? or do I have to use the steel hinges? Or does it not really matter?
Old aluminum and new steel hinges are compatible with old and new TJ tailgates. From top to bottom in this photo: YJ, early TJ aluminum, later TJ steel. The bolt patterns for both TJ hinges are the same and the bolt pattern on the tailgate side of all 3 hinges is the same. The YJ hinges cannot bolt to the TJ tub without drilling a new hole in the tub for each hinge because the holes on the tub side of the TJ hinges are closer together than the TJ holes.

TJHinges1.jpg

The one incompatibility is that later steel TJ hinges can't be installed on an early TJ tub. In this photo you can see a bulge in the back of the TJ steel hinge, there's a matching indentation in the later TJ tubs that this bulge fits into.

TJHinges2.jpg

The aluminum hinges have a tendency to stiffen and even seize over time because of the steel hinge pin in the aluminum casting with no bushing or provision for lubrication, so it might be a good idea to replace them. No to mention the aluminum often begins to corrode at the edges of the paint.

The steel hinges have a tendency to loosen over time because of the very small area of steel-on-steel hinge pin to hinge base contact; the steel wears and rusts. So I like to upgrade them as well.

I'm partial to MORryde HD hinges (https://www.morryde.com/products/heavy-duty-jeep-tj-hinge/). They're much stronger than factory hinges, they have a zerk fitting so they can be greased, the bronze hinge pin bushings are replaceable at most hardware stores if they ever wear, and they're designed for easy attachment of accessories like Hilift jack carriers and Rotopax carriers.

Full disclosure: I designed the MORryde hinges.

Old aluminum and new steel hinges are compatible with old and new TJ tailgates. From top to bottom in this photo: YJ, early TJ aluminum, later TJ steel. The bolt patterns for both TJ hinges are the same and the bolt pattern on the tailgate side of all 3 hinges is the same. The YJ hinges cannot bolt to the TJ tub without drilling a new hole in the tub for each hinge because the holes on the tub side of the TJ hinges are closer together than the TJ holes.

View attachment 194487

The one incompatibility is that later steel TJ hinges can't be installed on an early TJ tub. In this photo you can see a bulge in the back of the TJ steel hinge, there's a matching indentation in the later TJ tubs that this bulge fits into.

View attachment 194488

The aluminum hinges have a tendency to stiffen and even seize over time because of the steel hinge pin in the aluminum casting with no bushing or provision for lubrication, so it might be a good idea to replace them. No to mention the aluminum often begins to corrode at the edges of the paint.

The steel hinges have a tendency to loosen over time because of the very small area of steel-on-steel hinge pin to hinge base contact; the steel wears and rusts. So I like to upgrade them as well.

I'm partial to MORryde HD hinges (https://www.morryde.com/products/heavy-duty-jeep-tj-hinge/). They're much stronger than factory hinges, they have a zerk fitting so they can be greased, the bronze hinge pin bushings are replaceable at most hardware stores if they ever wear, and they're designed for easy attachment of accessories like Hilift jack carriers and Rotopax carriers.

Full disclosure: I designed the MORryde hinges.
Thank you for the pictures and detailed response. My current tailgate is starting to rust out at the bottom, causing for water to get in and soak the carpet. My main purpose for the thread was to weigh my options and see what options I actually had. I have seen that YJ tailgates in my area are typically easier to come by and usually cheaper, but I wanted to see what would be the best ideal fit for my options