Yukon gears: myth or fact?

runninwild

I've been calling around to get prices on gears and I called 4 wheel parts and asked what gears they carried? They said g2 I said what about yukon ? They said o those are horrible I wouldn't recommend them to anyone the last few years they're quality has went down. Is this true ? I called another reputable shop he they said yukon is all they install. I'm kinda torn and not sure if 4 wheel parts is pulling the marketing pitch or if they are telling me factual information 🤔?

Any thoughts comments are greatly appreciated I'm not looking to re gear twice as it is very expensive and would be very frustrating

Several people whose opinions I respect have said the same thing, that Yukon's gear quality has tanked in recent years. That they're all coming from China now and many who used to run Yukon gears won't touch them now. @mrblaine is one who recently confirmed that.

• Sad
Reactions: Fonz54
Several people whose opinions I respect have said the same thing, that Yukon's gear quality has tanked in recent years. That they're all coming from China now and many who used to run Yukon gears won't touch them now. @mrblaine is one who recently confirmed that.
Thank you for confirming that Jerry! On another note would g2 or revolution gears be the best choice? I'm willing to spend good money on gears I'd like to just do it once and not twice... hopefully the other local shop calls me back I don't know how well 4 wheel parts would handle an issue if I had one or something went wrong with the rear end.

99 percent of the time I will tell you to be very wary of any advice from a 4WP. G2 is their house brand anyway so of course they are going to pimp that. But they are not entirely wrong about Yukon as they have moved a lot of production from India to PRC and they are not the same as they were.

Ive had G2 before. My only complaint was the ring gear bolts were the incorrect size. Also have had Motive, Yukon, and Revolution with no issues.

Reactions: rasband and pagrey
Thank you for confirming that Jerry! On another note would g2 or revolution gears be the best choice? I'm willing to spend good money on gears I'd like to just do it once and not twice... hopefully the other local shop calls me back I don't know how well 4 wheel parts would handle an issue if I had one or something went wrong with the rear end.
What axles do you have and what ratio are you planning on?

What axles do you have and what ratio are you planning on?
Dana 30 up front with Aussie locker

Dana 44 rear limited slip command trac

Going to 4.88 have 4.10 was going to do a motor swap but I've played with a gear ratio calculator for the last couple nights and it seems like if I regear it would work out. I just need a little bit of power back 4.56 would probably work also but my jeeps pretty heavy so 4.88 would be better

Reactions: MeanGreen86
I've been calling around to get prices on gears and I called 4 wheel parts and asked what gears they carried? They said g2 I said what about yukon ? They said o those are horrible I wouldn't recommend them to anyone the last few years they're quality has went down. Is this true ? I called another reputable shop he they said yukon is all they install. I'm kinda torn and not sure if 4 wheel parts is pulling the marketing pitch or if they are telling me factual information 🤔?

Any thoughts comments are greatly appreciated I'm not looking to re gear twice as it is very expensive and would be very frustrating
I had Yukon gears and axles installed two years ago. Haven’t had any problems. Also have a lifetime warranty on the gears as the original owner

Yukon is fine, just like Smittybuilt winches there's nothing wrong with them because they are made in China. You'll quickly learn on this forum there are some people that will push their favorite brands with tall tales of problems that don't exist. I agree that if you can get Revolution it's a great choice but at the same time that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with Yukon.

Definitely go with RGA.
I'll have to see if the shops can locate them. I'm not doing the gear swap so I'm sure they would rather use what they are comfortable with and I'm sure warranty would play into that as well. I wouldn't want to buy parts and have something go wrong and be blamed if you know what I mean

Dana 30 up front with Aussie locker

Dana 44 rear limited slip command trac

Going to 4.88 have 4.10 was going to do a motor swap but I've played with a gear ratio calculator for the last couple nights and it seems like if I regear it would work out. I just need a little bit of power back 4.56 would probably work also but my jeeps pretty heavy so 4.88 would be better
If you were going 4.56 I would tell you to get genuine Spicer but if you can find RGA that is good but they are suffering delivery issues like everyone else. Motive Gear is decent as well are Sierra Gear (West Coast Gear) and Nitro. Also you can still look for Yukon just check and see if it is older stock.

I believe the India factory is called CircleK and has a logo of a circle with a K inside of it. Look for those markings. Another decent gear company is Nitro but no one talks about them. Kind if an unsung hero I guess.

Reactions: pagrey
I believe the India factory is called CircleK and has a logo of a circle with a K inside of it. Look for those markings. Another decent gear company is Nitro but no one talks about them. Kind if an unsung hero I guess.
@Blackjack @1904-06LJR I'll keep those in mind as well I did see that rga is out of stock most places I'm not in a hurry to get it done so I could wait it out if need be. Thanks for all the information I'll try to get rga or nitro

For those that feel this is an issue, is there a way to tell other than older stock? I've read there are markings on the gears but don't know the details.
Date code in bottom left corner Y/M/D

FB5619F3-4844-4C55-B493-E067F52911C9.jpeg

Reactions: pagrey