Yukon Spin Free Conversion Rubicon Application Question

Dan Cash

I have a quick question I’m hoping someone can answer. I would like to install a Yukon spin free locking hub conversion on my 2006 Unlimited Rubicon. I don’t want to start a debate on why...I simply want to eliminate ther post regear vibes and all else has failed. I’m not a hard core rock crawler and the Jeep is used a lot on the highway, hunting etc.
So question is will the YA-WU-07 (the smaller hub that maintains the factory 5 on 4.5 wheels) work on a Rubicon with the Dana 44 up front? I’ve read post after post of folks using this kit on their Rubicons, yet when I reach out to Yukon they tell me it will not work with the 30 spline axles in the Dana 44. So either they are wrong or the kit has changed since others have installed it. They tell me I need to use the 08 kit with the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, which quite frankly more than double the price adding new wheels into the equation. Can someone, anyone confirm if this will or will not fit? Much thanks!

From what I've read, the Dana 44 found in the front of our Jeeps is just a Dana 44 center section with Dana 30 tubes, knuckles, etc. That being said, the outer shaft splines are the same if the previous logic is applied. I could be wrong, there are a few people on here that have done the conversion. Good luck

From what I've read, the Dana 44 found in the front of our Jeeps is just a Dana 44 center section with Dana 30 tubes, knuckles, etc. That being said, the outer shaft splines are the same if the previous logic is applied. I could be wrong, there are a few people on here that have done the conversion. Good luck
Somewhat true. The rubicon 44s do have upgraded 30 spline axle shafts but the stubs are still 27 spline.

Reactions: jtf440
OP asked this question on another forum. It was answered there.

Summary: The Yukon YA-WU-07 and YA-WU-08 kits both fit the Dana 44 front axle. The inner axle shaft spline count is irrelevant as it is not replaced as part of the hub conversion unless one elects to upgrade from OEM to aftermarket chromoly.

I did ask this in another forum as well. After waiting a few days I only received one reply so I thought I’d ask it here as well to see if I could get more feedback from other who have perhaps used this kit. @Mr. Bills I appreciate you taking the time to answer again and for providing more info.

I have a quick question I’m hoping someone can answer. I would like to install a Yukon spin free locking hub conversion on my 2006 Unlimited Rubicon. I don’t want to start a debate on why...I simply want to eliminate ther post regear vibes and all else has failed. I’m not a hard core rock crawler and the Jeep is used a lot on the highway, hunting etc.
So question is will the YA-WU-07 (the smaller hub that maintains the factory 5 on 4.5 wheels) work on a Rubicon with the Dana 44 up front? I’ve read post after post of folks using this kit on their Rubicons, yet when I reach out to Yukon they tell me it will not work with the 30 spline axles in the Dana 44. So either they are wrong or the kit has changed since others have installed it. They tell me I need to use the 08 kit with the 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, which quite frankly more than double the price adding new wheels into the equation. Can someone, anyone confirm if this will or will not fit? Much thanks!
They are confused as usual. All you need to run the small 4.5 kit on your Rubicon front axle is the matching inners for the Dana 44 which are not part of either the large or small kits and have to be purchased separately.

The center hole in

The center hole in
The center hole in your current tire rims is going to determine whether or not you have to buy new rims. Your center hole needs to be at least 2.8 inches to fit over the hub body. I just put a kit on last week. For the 5x4.5 kit.

Last edited:
The center hole in your current tire rims is going to determine whether or not you have to buy new rims. Your center hole needs to be at least 2.8 inches to fit over the hub body. I just put a kit on last week. For the 5x4.5 kit.
Any advice you could give me on the install?

Just follow the instructions . Search around for as many versions as you can find. Very similar to doing Cj hub work.

Look on eBay for some good prices on the kit.

Not affiliated with eBay in any way.