ZJ conversion troubles. Tie rod into pitman arm

Boboddy

Supporting Member
Not the most mechanically inclined but I started installing the an steering parts to replace my stock TJ steering.

It’s gone mostly smoothly but I can’t get the tie rod off the drag link into the pitman arm. The adjusting sleeve is down the drag link as far as it will go and the tie rod is in the sleeve as far as it will go.

I banged on the pitman arm pretty good to help pop the old tie rod off. Don’t know if I moved it a bit off center?

I know this is pretty low level but I appreciate any help. Thank you

9D23393F-62FC-43DC-947B-B14C7F42EB3C.jpeg

AE1F4DD2-3626-4423-97FA-425BC62C3B44.jpeg

Apologies, but I am not following.

The drag link is disconnected from the pitman arm in the picture.

If you’re saying you can separate the Drag Link and Tie Rod?

Are you replacing just the tie rod? Or the tie rod and Drag Link? (drag link is the same TJ and ZJ).

If you’re replacing just the tie rod, then why did your disconnect from the Pitman?

If you’re trying to separate the drag link and tie rod, loosen the castle nut so you don’t swell the bolt. And use a hammer and knock it out.

I am replacing everything. I have pulled all stock parts off. I measured out and put the new parts together.

I installed the passenger side tie rod. Now I’m trying to put the new tie rod back into the pitman arm. The tie rod is too far to the drivers side and won’t go into the hole. If I bend the joint in it will go in crooked but gets caught.

EB7449FD-4444-4C80-81E3-2BEC8DE568BC.jpeg

I am replacing everything. I have pulled all stock parts off. I measured out and put the new parts together.

I installed the passenger side tie rod. Now I’m trying to put the new tie rod back into the pitman arm. The tie rod is too far to the drivers side and won’t go into the hole. If I bend the joint in it will go in crooked but gets caught.

View attachment 428571

Okay, following now.

I did the full ZJ, then a full Currectlync, in both situations, I pulled and measured and started same distances.

If you did anything close to that, then you just need to work it to get it in correct. The angles are weird, it fits with the bolt bent a certain way, just have to find that, at least for me.

Ok everyone - been on here a few times and gonna attempt this conversion for my 2005 TJ- I am going to be replacing everything like @Boboddy did recently. Wish me luck and I am sure I will be back on this if I run into any issues. I appreciate all the threads and follow-up with tips and troubles that people run into.

Ok everyone - been on here a few times and gonna attempt this conversion for my 2005 TJ- I am going to be replacing everything like @Boboddy did recently. Wish me luck and I am sure I will be back on this if I run into any issues. I appreciate all the threads and follow-up with tips and troubles that people run into.

You got this. The hardest part is living with yourself for paying for an alignment that you could have easily done yourself for free.

You got this. The hardest part is living with yourself for paying for an alignment that you could have easily done yourself for free.
Thank goodness I have a lifetime alignment, definitely taking advantage of it!! That made me laugh! Hopefully they wont give me a hard time correcting it. We have studied doing the alignment at home though- good thought

I am not sure if I am following but this is what happened to me:

I did the ZJ swap, I got everything installed, when I did the alignment, I got the wheels aligned at the proper measurements. but when i went to align the steering wheel I couldn't get it to line up straight. I then brought it to a shop, and they couldn't, but confirmed that my wheels were spot on. So i just live with the steering wheel being off.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Claybirdd
I am not sure if I am following but this is what happened to me:

I did the ZJ swap, I got everything installed, when I did the alignment, I got the wheels aligned at the proper measurements. but when i went to align the steering wheel I couldn't get it to line up straight. I then brought it to a shop, and they couldn't, but confirmed that my wheels were spot on. So i just live with the steering wheel being off.

How much spring lift? Does the Jeep have an adjustable front track bar?

old man emu lift 2.5

the tie rod is adjusted properly

the drag link is as short as it can get

has adjustable track bar completely centered.

Most likely, after re reading the guide. I bought the ZJ drag link, which is apparently longer.

Last edited:
Not the most mechanically inclined but I started installing the an steering parts to replace my stock TJ steering.

It’s gone mostly smoothly but I can’t get the tie rod off the drag link into the pitman arm. The adjusting sleeve is down the drag link as far as it will go and the tie rod is in the sleeve as far as it will go.

I banged on the pitman arm pretty good to help pop the old tie rod off. Don’t know if I moved it a bit off center?

I know this is pretty low level but I appreciate any help. Thank you

View attachment 428525

View attachment 428526

Moving the wheel a little is fine- rotating it til you break the clock spring is not - just stay within the normal driving parameters and also be ready to learn how to center the wheel.

What you are doing is a good move.