ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
For the ZJ Tie Rod conversion for the TJ, is it better to go with Napa branded parts or Moog? The interwebs tell me that the Napa is not just a rebranded Moog.

That's really hard to say, both have a good reputation. Moog used to be all USA made but now they're made in something like 16 different countries. Even the same Moog p/n is often made in multiple countries. So both brands are likely to not have been made in the US. I'd probably go with whichever is the easier one to obtain when deciding between those two.

I agree. I'd probably just go with whichever is easier to get. I'm honestly not sure it even matters, since all of them are probably made in some other country anyways.

I'd be surprised if any are still made in the USA.

Haha, well Moog requires exactly five clicks from my phone (parts are on Amazon wish list) and is about $60 less expensive than Napa.

Go Moog then. $60 is a significant price difference, so I'd get it on Amazon!

I have done this conversion and am happy with how it points my 33's the right way. Much recommended. I suspect if you're going 35's or higher you'd want something stronger like a Currie setup.

I ordered the Moog parts this week. Fed Ex tells me that they were delivered today. If I get time this weekend I'll see if I can get them installed.

Reactions: Chris
Very cool. Changing out the steering seems to be one of the easiest things to do on a TJ.

All done. What a huge difference between the ZJ and the OE tie rods!

Reactions: derekmac
Sweet thanks! so after seeing the exact components all I need is the adj. sleeve and ZJ tie rod end.

You can either go with the kit made by Crown automotive:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X1SSMO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the Crown kit in the link above is for right-hand drive (Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR4 Heavy Duty Steering Kit)

and the left-hand drive version would be Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR2 Heavy Duty Steering Kit...?

Considerable price difference between the two.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that the Crown kit in the link above is for right-hand drive (Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR4 Heavy Duty Steering Kit)

and the left-hand drive version would be Crown Automotive HDSTRGCR2 Heavy Duty Steering Kit...?

Considerable price difference between the two.
Good catch, you're totally right. I'm going to update my original post!

Yes, Jerry is correct. There is no benefit at all to installing the ZJ drag link. It's only the tie rod that's beefier.

Sorry I'm late to the party!

image.jpeg

Most of the write ups don't mention that the parts come as bare metal, so they need some kind of protection. I chose to use POR-15, only because I have a bunch of it laying around.

Reactions: Chris