ZJ tie rod upgrade

i'm in the middle of the tie rod replacement but can't get the old tie rod, tie rod ends and drag link loose. current status is wheels are on, castle nuts at the tie rod ends and drag link are off and steering damper is disconnected from the frame (still connected to the drag link). So hardware is off but I can't get the parts free. Since I'm replacing everything I'm not too worried about damaging existing parts. So far have tried hitting the side of the tie rod ends with a 1 lb hammer but nothing is budging. could use some advice.

thanks

You need a bigger hammer. Honestly. I used a three pound sledge and it popped right out.

Reactions: Squatch and Sj's TJ
Hammer, don’t be shy.

Pickle fork can work for some areas (e.g. frame side of trackbar)

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Hammer, don’t be shy.

Pickle fork can work for some areas (e.g. frame side of trackbar)

I used a pickle fork with an air hammer when I took my front track bar and messed up the grease boot. If replacing everything,then it shouldn’t matter. The pickle fork won’t really work for the steering stabilizer on the drag link however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ
the 3 lb. hammer worked!

getting ready to install new parts and as I lay everything out, I discovered that that steering stabilizer (Monroe SC2928) doesn't come with a rubber boot/bushing where it connects to the drag link like the original parts. does that mean that it is not needed for this stabilizer or do I need to buy separately?

(Monroe tech help line is only available M-F)

the 3 lb. hammer worked!

getting ready to install new parts and as I lay everything out, I discovered that that steering stabilizer (Monroe SC2928) doesn't come with a rubber boot/bushing where it connects to the drag link like the original parts. does that mean that it is not needed for this stabilizer or do I need to buy separately?

I don’t believe you need it, but I’m not sure. I installed a Rancho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 3 lb. hammer worked!

Not necessary.

all done + aligned and centered steering based on what I learn on this forum. I really appreciate this community.
thanks for all your help.
Arlington! I live in Alexandria, have to get together and wrench or wheel sometime......

I used a carpenters framing hammer, its probly a 1 pound hammer.
3 medium hits and the tie rod dropped just like u guys said it would. :)
I used the puller to get the tie rod disconnected from the drag link.