02 TJ coming around

Brandonbkb

Alittle at a time I have been replacing various bushings, spark plugs, engine maintenance, front bumper, wheels and tires etc. Removed the hood and wiper cover and had it painted,
3CD18884-D2C9-4DCF-BB99-A83972DA190A.jpeg
But man she is a dog on the highway with the the new 295’s. Also currently building a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier.
8F4DAC6B-6A18-4265-B4BA-978F1DED7002.jpeg
Really been fighting that $1700 gear swap. Is it really worth it?
9AEE4C13-C890-4DD5-A3E6-9AC1B6BD95CA.jpeg

Looks like pretty big meats you have there. I went from 3.07; to 4.10 and was like a new jeep....but I found axles with 4.10s on craiglist for $200 for the pair so a much easier decisions for me. They were Dana 30/Dana 35 not the Dana 44 but had a Dana 35 so really no lose.

Jeep looks great!

What gears do you have in there now?

Also, try to keep the weight down with aluminum parts. That steel bumper isn’t helping one bit 😉

Very nice! The gears will certainly help. While expensive, I don’t think you’ll regret it. What is your end goal/ intended use?

If you have any thoughts of adding any more weight to the TJ in the way of rear bumper with swing out tire carrier, rock rails, skidplates, etc... and plan to go off roading; you should consider going to 4.56s.
Nice paint job....; I should hire you to do mine....

Last edited:
Someone knows how to paint.

Time to regear.

Alittle at a time I have been replacing various bushings, spark plugs, engine maintenance, front bumper, wheels and tires etc. Removed the hood and wiper cover and had it painted, But man she is a dog on the highway with the the new 295’s. Also currently building a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. Really been fighting that $1700 gear swap. Is it really worth it?

Man, the hood looks great, and you have the right color IMO lol! I've gotta do something with my hood as well. I bought another black one but I gotta clean it up and likely buff it.

Looks like pretty big meats you have there. I went from 3.07; to 4.10 and was like a new jeep....but I found axles with 4.10s on craiglist for $200 for the pair so a much easier decisions for me. They were Dana 30/Dana 35 not the Dana 44 but had a Dana 35 so really no lose.

Jeep looks great!
Thanks! Yeah The jeep dude that put the 3.07’s in there needs to be slapped or did they think this was a Prius

So are you willing to scratch that new paint going off road? We warn all the new Jeep owners on our group rides "You will get mountain pin stripping on this run" Some get pretty upset when they realize the end result of their purchase! If you not willing to pick up some paint damage, I wouldn't worry about re-gearing.

So are you willing to scratch that new paint going off road? We warn all the new Jeep owners on our group rides "You will get mountain pin stripping on this run" Some get pretty upset when they realize the end result of their purchase! If you not willing to pick up some paint damage, I wouldn't worry about re-gearing.
Great point. The PO of my Jeep didn't clean the bugs off regularly and it screwed up the paint from the guts drying on the paint. I got a great quote (IMO) to paint the fenders, hood, cowl and windshield frame from a local auto paint shop for $600. It was tempting, but the first offroad trip would just piss me off that I wasted the $600. My tires do enough damage to my doors from rocks being thrown.
p.s. Something I learned after having 18 Jeeps and wanting them to look great is, You can have a perfect looking Jeep or you can use your Jeep to have fun and truly enjoy it, you can't have both.

Last edited:
Really been fighting that $1700 gear swap. Is it really worth it?
I would never waste money to regear a Dana 35. If you do mild offroad stuff, swap in some 4 cylinder axles with 4.10 gears. Some newer 4 banger auto's have 4.56. I got a full set for an old Jeep for $350 for the set. WAY cheaper than a regear and you don't need a Dana 44 rear axle or S35 for mild stuff. The difference between 3.07 and 4.10 with your tire size would be night and day.

He said it's gutless on the highway, so shouldn't mountain pinstripes have little to do with his need for re-gearing if his issue with how it drives is based on highway performance? I'd re-gear.

I think you missed my point. If he’s not willing to scratch his paint gears won’t matter

No I got it, I just don't think it makes sense. Even if he ONLY drove on the highway, why wouldn't he spend the money to make it at least drive decent on the highway with better gears? Has nothing to do with how much he wheels. It may make a difference for what gearing he chooses if it means he won't need to upgrade to even larger tires in the future, and can settle with 4.10 over 4.56, but the driveability on the street is why many people change gearing.

:rolleyes:New paint and trips to Walmart aren't worth the cost of a regear to me. I'd live with 3.07 gears or spend $300-400 for axles with 4.10 gears from a 5 speed 4 cylinder.

Last edited:
He was commenting on the new paint and assuming the OP actually will go off the street. I say no, so technically he is correct... maybe.....I think......I would live with 3.07 gears and 33s if I never left the street before I paid $1500+. Axle swap is a better option like I said.

I'm sure many people could live with it, especially where it is flat, but the OP's main complaint was it feels gutless. Shouldn't make a difference if he scratches it offroad or not.

I'm sure many people could live with it, especially where it is flat, but the OP's main complaint was it feels gutless. Shouldn't make a difference if he scratches it offroad or not.
What if he moves to CT and the damn road salt screws up his new paint? I see both points. I would go with 4 banger axles (and I did once) because I'm poor.

Reactions: jeepguy03