'04 Jeep Rubicon build thread going closer to stock with 2" lift

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
Here is my current purchase. One owner Rubi, 5-speed and 41K on the clock. It has a 5.5" lift and 32's in this picture. The winch is a Tabor 9K that is now off and that bumper is off as well. It needs a new top since that one is the original. Fenders have rust in the normal spot and they will be replaced. Jack is off the front. The idea of this build is a very close to stock Rubi with a little lift and tire.

Parts ordered so far:
Upper control arms Moog CK series (USA made)
Lower control arms Mopar (USA made)
OME 2" lift with HD springs
Both front fenders by Crown
New Rubi fender flares as the old ones are a little rough. Got them at Summit for a GREAT price!

On the list:
New top will be a Bestop twill in black.
Looking for a OEM front bumper right now. Might have found one for $40 locally.
Need an amp in for the stereo. The aftermarket stereo doesn't work because the prior owner took the amp out. Looks like aftermarket speakers and a ton of wiring that I have to sift though. He had a pretty big system in here it seems, but it will be okay. Might just get this amp which would probably be enough for me.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kJH45...51022&awdv=c&awkw=&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9005927
Probably going to put clear corner lights on the front, since this Jeep is silver and I think that looks good on that color.
I might run no spare, but not sure yet. I will take it off and put it back on a few times to decide. Chances of a flat are SUPER rare and I could bring a kit with me and a small compressor to get me home if I do have an issue. Or AAA. :)

That is about it for now. The list will grow as I try and get this back to where it needs to be. I am following Chris's "less is more" build closely as it is very close to what I am doing.
Jeepft2.jpg
Jeepbk.jpg

Guessing it mush have had bigger tires at one point in its life with that much lift?

Yep, that big tire on the back was what was on it I am guessing. It is a 33. Not a fan of smaller tires on a big lift like on this one, but we are going to fix that up.

With that 33 on the back and 32's on the wheels as well as the radio not working, I am thinking the Jeep dealership I bought it from was going to run it through the auction. Big dealers don't want to deal with a 5.5 lift and redoing this Jeep to spec. They threw some tires on and barely cleaned it, so I got in there before they were going to send it away. So far, I think I got lucky, but time will tell if I did. lol

Reactions: bobthetj03
Oh man that spare looks out of place!

I like the route you're going though. 5.5" lift is way too much lift for a TJ unless you're running 37" tires and doing some real serious off-roading. I think that most of us usually don't go any higher than 4". But I think your choice of the OME springs is a great one, as I am following the same path myself.

People forget just how capable a TJ is on 31" or 32" tires with a 2.5" lift. Not to mention it's a lot easier on your wallet not having to buy adjustable control arms and all that stuff!

Oh man that spare looks out of place!

I like the route you're going though. 5.5" lift is way too much lift for a TJ unless you're running 37" tires and doing some real serious off-roading. I think that most of us usually don't go any higher than 4". But I think your choice of the OME springs is a great one, as I am following the same path myself.

People forget just how capable a TJ is on 31" or 32" tires with a 2.5" lift. Not to mention it's a lot easier on your wallet not having to buy adjustable control arms and all that stuff!

Well my control arm choices were not cheap as they are all made in the USA, but still cheaper than real high end stuff. My mechanic is pretty darn particular and didn't want adjustable arms unless I needed them because that is just another part that would have a joint. It would be better not to have adjustable arms unless you need them as he puts it. I liked the Core ones, but he said not a good idea in our case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Very true! I wouldn't want another joint unless it was absolutely necessary.

So as I plan things out, I have been looking at some pictures of Jeeps. Love it! Anyway, I know it is controversial, but I am leaning pretty hard towards no spare like this. I like the round lights as well. Looks clean and old school in a way. Sure the old Jeeps had spares, but the tires were tiny compared to 32's and 33's of today that take up the entire rear. What do you think of this look?
nospare2.jpg

So as I plan things out, I have been looking at some pictures of Jeeps. Love it! Anyway, I know it is controversial, but I am leaning pretty hard towards no spare like this. I like the round lights as well. Looks clean and old school in a way. Sure the old Jeeps had spares, but the tires were tiny compared to 32's and 33's of today that take up the entire rear. What do you think of this look? View attachment 32151

I’m not a fan of that look at all, but that’s just my own personal opinion of course. I really like the spare and square tails.

I’m not a fan of that look at all, but that’s just my own personal opinion of course. I really like the spare and square tails.

But, but, but we like crazy German cars and the same damn Jeep style. Say it isn't so. lol I am not sure what I am going to do yet, but am thinking. Like the round tail lights though. Thanks for the input. Kicking it all around is fun.

Reactions: Chris
I have a front bumper, minus end caps, you can have for shipping...not sure what it would be to ship, it's not heavy.

That sounds like a pain for you to just ship it out for nothing, not to mention packaging it. There is one locally here for $30, but the kid is hard to get hold of. Not sure what to say? Hate to see you spend time doing that. Thanks for such a nice offer though!

If the tailgate was clean then it would look good. Left as is it looks like something is missing. Of course you could always pick up a temp spare to throw on there if concerned about size :D

So as I plan things out, I have been looking at some pictures of Jeeps. Love it! Anyway, I know it is controversial, but I am leaning pretty hard towards no spare like this. I like the round lights as well. Looks clean and old school in a way. Sure the old Jeeps had spares, but the tires were tiny compared to 32's and 33's of today that take up the entire rear. What do you think of this look? View attachment 32151
Lots of different looks, do what you think looks best! If we appeased everyone, we’d all be running duratracs, ome lift, and mopar bumpers :).

If you go led tail route, look into maxbilts for round or savvy for square. The ORO’s are garbage.